Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Graphics - HDR is the game changer!

  1. #1
    Superkart Pilot UkHardcore23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    364
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

    Graphics - HDR is the game changer!

    As most of you's know ive not been a huge fan of the graphics compared to the first title. Well i bought myself an LG OLED yesterday and i have to say the real game changer is HDR! I just love how realistic the colour palete is now but the big difference is the different parts of the tracks that are darker in places and sunny in places ie; Oulton after the last chicane and you head up the hill and the track is covered by tree's and all of a sudden the light turns really dull and youve gone from sunny to barely any light coming through the trees it looks incredible and realistic. Also the change from Sunny to Overcast looked good before but now it looks sensational. The jump from 1080p to upscaled 4k (Pcars is 1440p right?) has helped alot graphically also.

    Anyone else loving HDR in the game?

    Although i have noticed for some reason the menu's seem much harder to read with some letters blending into each other and kinda blurred its odd.
    A TV, Wheel, Pedals & Game.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: amazed, Kriig


  2. #2
    GT5 Pilot Zaskarspants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,454
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Those letters do have dark edges but they certainly are not hard to read. Have you set the hdr level in game?

    I agree that hdr is lush. Iirc digital f tested pcars around patch 3 and then it was about 1440p for visuals, 1600p for resolution and 1080p for frame rate with some scaling around those values according to load.
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

  3. #3
    Superkart Pilot davidt33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Trinidad, W.I.
    Posts
    968
    Platform
    PS4
    If it's 4k HD TV you're talking about I never knew 4k TV resolution looked so good. I don't have one but my nephew got one and when I saw it by him I was blown away and can't stop thinking about it yearning to have one. Next TV I buy will definitely be a 4k res TV. All the colours looked so rich and the resolution so vivid it was a joy to behold. All the time I was envisaging not only watching HD channels but also imagining seeing the game on that television screen. Added to that a decent sound system would be awesome...a good sound bar with a sub would do just fine.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333

  4. #4
    Superkart Pilot UkHardcore23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    364
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    If it's 4k HD TV you're talking about I never knew 4k TV resolution looked so good. I don't have one but my nephew got one and when I saw it by him I was blown away and can't stop thinking about it yearning to have one. Next TV I buy will definitely be a 4k res TV. All the colours looked so rich and the resolution so vivid it was a joy to behold. All the time I was envisaging not only watching HD channels but also imagining seeing the game on that television screen. Added to that a decent sound system would be awesome...a good sound bar with a sub would do just fine.
    HDR - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-d...-range_imaging

    I have a sound system that cost me 2 grand about 7 years ago which is no redundant due to the TV being 4K

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	255872

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskarspants View Post
    Those letters do have dark edges but they certainly are not hard to read. Have you set the hdr level in game?

    I agree that hdr is lush. Iirc digital f tested pcars around patch 3 and then it was about 1440p for visuals, 1600p for resolution and 1080p for frame rate with some scaling around those values according to load.
    Yeah i set HDR level.

    1440p for visuals, 1600p for resolution and 1080p for frame rate with some scaling around those values according to load. - This doesnt make any sense to me what do you mean 1080p for framerate 1440p for visuals and 1600p for resolution? Surely visuals and resolution are the same or are you saying the cars and tracks etc are 1440p upscaled to the resolution which is 1600p? Framerate has to be 60fps with dips rather than 1080p which is a resolution.
    Last edited by UkHardcore23; 09-06-2018 at 20:03.
    A TV, Wheel, Pedals & Game.

  5. #5
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    501
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Oh no.
    I didn't need this.
    I have a shopping list and it just got 1 item longer and a lot more expensive....
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat

  6. #6
    GT5 Pilot Zaskarspants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,454
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore23 View Post
    HDR - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-d...-range_imaging

    I have a sound system that cost me 2 grand about 7 years ago which is no redundant due to the TV being 4K


    Yeah i set HDR level.

    1440p for visuals, 1600p for resolution and 1080p for frame rate with some scaling around those values according to load. - This doesnt make any sense to me what do you mean 1080p for framerate 1440p for visuals and 1600p for resolution? Surely visuals and resolution are the same or are you saying the cars and tracks etc are 1440p upscaled to the resolution which is 1600p? Framerate has to be 60fps with dips rather than 1080p which is a resolution.
    Sorry, I cant make it sound any simpler for you. If you would like more details, you can look up the Digital foundry article.
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

  7. #7
    WMD Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    62
    1080p runs smoothest by may look ugly(framerate)visuals looks best but may stutter a little under heavy load. High res is a sharper image but may not have quiet so many lighting/shadow etc effects but the image you do get is sharper so looks kinda better anyway btw I run high res

  8. #8
    Superkart Pilot CodeCmdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    104
    Platform
    PS4
    I only played the 1.06 patch around 12:00 game-time for a while, but didn't notice a huge improvement in HDR. I play a lot of Gran Turismo Sport, so most other HDR implementations in games are quite a let-down to me, because what Polyphony has created is exceptionally good.

    Are the PCars2 HDR 1.06 improvements more noticeable at different times of day?

  9. #9
    Superkart Pilot UkHardcore23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    364
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeCmdr View Post
    I only played the 1.06 patch around 12:00 game-time for a while, but didn't notice a huge improvement in HDR. I play a lot of Gran Turismo Sport, so most other HDR implementations in games are quite a let-down to me, because what Polyphony has created is exceptionally good.

    Are the PCars2 HDR 1.06 improvements more noticeable at different times of day?
    Ive yet to play GTS since getting the new tv but i can imagine it looks incredible in HDR so i will need to get it on some point this week. Saying that im really happy now with how PCARS 2 looks and especially plays not after patch 6 its going to be hard putting in another racer infront of it.
    A TV, Wheel, Pedals & Game.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    382
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    The biggest advantage of 4K is allowing you to get MUCH closer to the screen and still avoiding seeing the pixels. This allows you to widen your FoV to the point where you get back your mirrors in cockpit view and no longer need the HUD false mirror (that has too wide a FoV to be safe, IMHO).

    HDR at dawn and dusk is amazing, utterly immersive, especially with a bit of dust on the windshield. My Hisense only cost under $400 for a 55". It really is a game-changer...

    Yes, GTS managed a better level of detail and lighting, but at the cost of being static and a FAR worse (arcade) handling model. All in all, throw in the weather and time of day that PC2 adds, that extra eye candy in GTS isn't worth it. My copy of GTS hasn't been booted up in months...
    Last edited by simsimsheree; 16-06-2018 at 17:17.

Similar Threads

  1. Force feed back gear changer, does anyone make one?
    By Zaskarspants in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-12-2017, 04:45
  2. Steering Ratio is a game changer!
    By xtro in forum Project CARS 2 on Playstation 4
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-12-2017, 07:50
  3. TV display - UHD setting to off I get better graphics for game
    By peterCars in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-10-2017, 02:30
  4. HELP! macOS folder customization or changer
    By JimWheeler99 in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2016, 19:26
  5. REAL ASSISTS GAME CHANGER
    By Initia1 B in forum Project CARS on Xbox One
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 21-05-2015, 20:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •