Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game Streaming (Cloud Gaming): is it a good thing?

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by sas5320 View Post
    Contrary to EA and Activision opinions, Offline single player STILL matters, see recent Sony exclusives like God of War or Nintendo's Zelda.
    Singleplayer games like the ones you mention can perfectly be streamed as well, streaming is not limited to multiplayer games. Whether publishers will still offer offline downloadable games or not in the future remains to be seen. I would think that streaming becomes the standard and that some games will have a “download full game for offline play” option (if the type of game allows it and the devs implement it).

It might sound scary at the moment but it really is the future and I think it is very user friendly. In the early 90s we used to store our games and software in a single folder in MS DOS. Then came Windows and software was installed in a folder and several system folders, the actual storage location became more a thing of the background and your Windows program tree became more important. Fast forward to today we don’t even see where our programs.... err apps are installed anymore and all we need is a single grid of icons to start what we need. The future is not even having those apps installed anymore but stream what you need on demand from the cloud. Updating a few dozens of apps every week won’t be needed anymore.
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breyzipp View Post
    I think we are talking about 2 things here :

* On one side you have the latency between you and the server including internet lag, TV lag and human reflex lag as you explained (assuming it is the type of game with a connection to a server). That is a lag that already exists today and that won't change at all if you move to streamed gaming.

* On the other side you have the game file storage. Nowadays a game can have up to 100 GB or more of local client storage which is the 100% full game. A game streaming service would just mean that instead of storing this 100 GB locally on your PC or console, you will make a connection to your game in the cloud and it will only download the necessary files to your end. Say you want to start up Project CARS 3 and do a race with a McLaren P1 at Silverstone, it will first download the UI to you, while you are busy in the UI it will download the core game files to you, once you click the track and car you want, it will only download that. All other cars, tracks, weather conditions and all unneeded assets won't be downloaded. Heck if you use interior view for your McLaren the outside art is not even downloaded. When you are at the starting line at Silverstone the esses aren't downloaded either. But whatever you are playing and seeing on your screen, will be temporary stored on your system (smart-TV in this case). And enough content will be buffered ahead of you in case of internet connection hick ups. If whatever has been downloaded is not needed anymore it will be erased again.

In the end it doesn't really matter if you are playing a game and game files are loaded into your system's memory, if that data is coming from a local 100% game download that's been on your harddisk there for ages, or if that data has been downloaded only a handful of seconds earlier. Streaming has nothing to do with latency, it just removes full local storage and replaces it with streaming.
    It's the same as listening to internet radio, an mp3 file is not downloaded completely and then starts playing, it is chopped up into multiple pieces and downloaded as needed. Your music device will buffer the song a bunch of seconds ahead, if you disconnect your router while listening to internet radio you will notice you still get a bit of music going after the disconnect and then afterwards the music stops. That extra bit of music is whatever length of song your device had buffered ahead for you. With streaming games it will be similar, no more full game downloads required, it will be chopped up into pieces and downloaded to your system as it is required.

All I can say is I pitty the person with bandwidth limits, as he won't ever play a game again.

Personally I don't want the extra waiting time for the files to be downloaded. The reason I bought an SSD for my most demanding games is because of loading times, so having to wait until something has come from a server who knows where on the world and it's finally dumped into memory. I really don't want that.

I personally still believe in private storage as much as the day when we first got a computer at home, which was a ZX Spectrum with a cassette recorder in it. Having programs become more demanding is a normal evolutionary occurrence and I don't feel the need to do anything different than just expanding my storage capacity for it. For which I've always bought a Full Tower chassis of considerable height, if possible as tall as your every desk.

You're right on that it's just like streaming audio in that data is being buffered locally. Still, internet speeds would have to increase into the stable 1 Gbit/s range for at least download speeds for loading times not to be an annoyance anymore. Plus you must be on a Fair Use Policy from your ISP and not a bandwidth limit, or else it would be a big no beforehand.

About the interior view and outside art. I wish we had a full car in our mirrors as I really can't judge how close something is without having a fixed reference point (my own body work) in that mirror. So I wish that would be a thing in pCARS, but sadly it isn't yet. Albeit that's not part of this discussion.

As far as knowing where files are stored. I can still perfectly find all the items installed on my PC, but it is true that it has become harder for Joe Average as some are put in hidden folders. Personally I've more than once had to uninstall programs by hand from storage as well as Windows registry. It is still doable but you have to know a thing or two about Windows before knowing when to or when not to push the delete button (especially in that registry).
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Guys, why are you talking about files, downloads etc? From what I understand, we are only talking about game streaming, which is similar to youtube streaming, it has nothing to do with downloading anything, apart from the image/video itself, which is completely calculated in the server and sent to the client. So the client needs no files, no processing power, no GPU, nothing. Just a monitor is required basically. Well, that is, unless I did not understand something correctly.

The big problem with that solution, apart from possible lag, is the sheer amount of data to be transmitted, because especially if you want to play at 4K/100+ Hz, you'd need a very very good internet connection for so much video to be transmitted smoothly. Unless they end up compressing the video image too much and we end up with youtube quality image when gaming...

I also hate all those issues with privacy, the control the big companies will have etc. In the other hand, I cannot overlook the fact that it will make it possible to let me not care about upgrading my PC anymore, I will not have to deal with overheating issues of the PC or the room around it, I will have all settings maxed and get magnificent game quality if they do it properly. Now what the cost will be for such a service remains to be seen...

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Guys, why are you talking about files, downloads etc? From what I understand, we are only talking about game streaming, which is similar to youtube streaming, it has nothing to do with downloading anything, apart from the image/video itself, which is completely calculated in the server and sent to the client. So the client needs no files, no processing power, no GPU, nothing. Just a monitor is required basically. Well, that is, unless I did not understand something correctly.

The big problem with that solution, apart from possible lag, is the sheer amount of data to be transmitted, because especially if you want to play at 4K/100+ Hz, you'd need a very very good internet connection for so much video to be transmitted smoothly. Unless they end up compressing the video image too much and we end up with youtube quality image when gaming...

I also hate all those issues with privacy, the control the big companies will have etc. In the other hand, I cannot overlook the fact that it will make it possible to let me not care about upgrading my PC anymore, I will not have to deal with overheating issues of the PC or the room around it, I will have all settings maxed and get magnificent game quality if they do it properly. Now what the cost will be for such a service remains to be seen...
    First, your PC buffering a video from youtube. So it is downloading data. This data will cost you on a bandwidth limit. If a game is the same, it will cost you on a bandwidth limit. Even if it would only download the data it needs to minimize load times, it is still quite a download of data. Let alone having to process this data as it is compressed (like a zip file) and most likely encrypted for security and thus needs to be decrypted before it is usable.

Even a youtube video is encrypted and is compressed. Hence you can't process a 4K youtube video on a 10-15 year old computer without stutters, or watch it on an old wifi connection (B/G connection instead of N). So bandwidth and processing power are still a limiting factor even if most computing is offloaded to a server, it isn't like your computer and connection have nothing to do.

Privacy is indeed another issue I haven't thought of, but basically they need your every key press and other input. So they can analyze up to a crazy detail how you play their game. At which point I get a bit like...

System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following user likes this Post: breyzipp

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, that's what I said, too
    The following user likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by APR193 View Post
    Developers, for now at least, know we don't want it.
    No they know they can't get away with it. There is a big difference in viewpoint there.
    i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | AMD HD 7970 | 16GB RAM | Fanatec CSL Elite + CSP V3 + TH8A shifter | Next Level Racing Wheel Stand
    The following user likes this Post: breyzipp