Thread: Audio Problem - Sound Works for a While and Then Stops

Platform
    PC

Audio Problem - Sound Works for a While and Then Stops

Steam had a sale on PCars2 the other day so I decided to give it a try on my PC instead of the Xbox. The main issue I'm having at the moment is audio related. Sound works fine for the most part but will suddenly stop at random times. Every time it's happened so far has been during a race. It just goes silent. If I exit the race, I don't hear the background menu music either. If I exit to the desktop and restart the game it works fine again. I've had it work flawlessly for a gaming session lasting over an hour and I've also had it fail in the first few minutes of playing.

The PC I'm running it on is a laptop, albeit a pretty burly one. It's an Asus gaming laptop with an i7-7700HQ and a GTX-1080. I'm not overclocking. I don't know what sound device they use. I know that laptops can be problematic but at the moment that's what I've got. I'm connecting to my TV via HDMI. I don't know if the problem is in the game or in the laptop but I thought I'd ask here to see if anybody has run across this problem and if a solution was found. Also I've never had a problem with sound in any other application. I'm happy to try whatever suggestions you guys care to throw at me.
    Last edited by Schnizz58; 11-06-2018 at 20:41.
    You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make a good use of it. --John Adams
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

I'm assuming you are putting the sound out via the hdmi too..

you could try setting sound to the speakers to see if it's the hdmi audio dropping out (you can set audio out in the audio setting sin game)

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following user likes this Post: Schnizz58

Platform
    PC
    Correct. I'll try that and report back. Thanks!
    You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make a good use of it. --John Adams
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    While it's probably unrelated, try messing with your sound output device. On my PC, regardless of windows or driver version, whenever my input sample rate would be too high, people would ear me as a chipmunk.

So for your output device, try adjusting the output to something else. It might help?

GL
    All platform and wheels: Official Force Feedback Guide
    Info: pCars 2 Tire Pressure Official Guideline | Wheel FFB guide

Steering: G27 | My In-game FFB:Immersive 90/32/60/5

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    I'm assuming you are putting the sound out via the hdmi too..

you could try setting sound to the speakers to see if it's the hdmi audio dropping out (you can set audio out in the audio setting sin game)
    This is a no go. The laptop won't send audio to the analog output if the HDMI cable is plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by poirqc View Post
    While it's probably unrelated, try messing with your sound output device. On my PC, regardless of windows or driver version, whenever my input sample rate would be too high, people would ear me as a chipmunk.

So for your output device, try adjusting the output to something else. It might help?

GL
    I'm not really following you. What do you mean adjusting it to something else?

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    This is a no go. The laptop won't send audio to the analog output if the HDMI cable is plugged in.

I'm not really following you. What do you mean adjusting it to something else?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soundpane.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	256014

Play with the default format sample rate.

The following user likes this Post: Schnizz58

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soundpane.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	256014

Play with the default format sample rate.
    And try unchecking both the exclusive mode checkboxes for both audio outputs(HDMI and Speakers), so four in total. They cause all sorts of trouble(and keep turning themselves on if you switch once in a while ), including an other piece of software kidnapping exclusivity never to give it back until you restart the preferred program.
    Last edited by MaximusN; 12-06-2018 at 17:27.
    Let's change the world today with a whisper
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive
    /// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: poirqc, Schnizz58

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusN View Post
    And try unchecking both the exclusive mode checkboxes for both audio outputs(HDMI and Speakers), so four in total. They cause all sorts of trouble(and keep turning themselves on if you switch once in a while ), including an other piece of software kidnapping exclusivity never to give it back until you restart the preferred program.
    That explains all the cursing i did when i used Skype last fall!

Thanks a bunch.

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    That explains all the cursing i did when i used Skype last fall!

Thanks a bunch.
    It doesn't end all problems, but it's like an exclusive fullscreen function, but in this case for audio. Trouble is that is can be silence that's not giving up it's 'fullscreen' rights so you never know what's going on. In my case Firefox(Youtube) sometimes tries to keep audio focus, so Netflix won't work until I close it(when the checkboxes have turned themselves on again).
    Let's change the world today with a whisper
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive
    /// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following user likes this Post: poirqc

Platform
    PC
    Thanks guys. I'll give it another go tomorrow (going to a Steely Dan concert tonight). Also, I played for a good bit last night (1.5-2 hrs) with no issues. *shrug*
    The following user likes this Post: poirqc