Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Le Mans 24hr Experience advice

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1

Le Mans 24hr Experience advice

Hi there

Am looking on doing the Le Mans 24 hr Experience invitational, it will be the first time Iíve done a single race over an hour and a half and the first one where Iíve have had to plan pit strategies for a long endurance race. Am going to be driving the Porsche 919 HY AWD

Any chance of some opinions on:

Start race set up strategy
    In race pit strategy
    Best use of hybrid power

Cheers

Joey farrell

Platform
    PS4
    Hybrid power is easiest to use on straights or long bends... Just my opinion on that.

As far as pit strategy and race set up... well its a bit different with an hour and a half of racing. I want to say set it up like any other race where you have had to pit.
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." Collin McRae

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    You don’t want the car on a knife edge , make sure you drive within yourself and pick your moves when passing traffic as it can go wrong in a blink of an eye. As for the Hybrid energy usage , I use it out of slow corners and not for top speed if that makes sense , I also try and make sure the cars pointing straight before I use it .
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Flat-6, hkraft300, Shogun613

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Thanks guys for the replies, am just wondering too whether the AI will set up, in terms of fuel and tyres, is there anyway of judging?

Platform
    PS4
    Pit strategy:

Have multiple strategy saved. One for fuel only, one for tires (day) and one for night. You can adjust fuel refill on the fly mid race. You should also calculate fuel consumption per lap and set yourself a target stint length.
    Tire pressures will drop at night when the track cools, so you’d want to set slightly higher pressures for the night stints.
    [b]remember set tire change to “all”. Don’t leave it on “recommended” or “auto by weather”.
    You might also want to set a separate strategy for repairs only, for the mishaps.

Micro-managing is key, for pit stops in this game.

Car setup:
    Low brake pressure for max harvest. In the 919 I found 75-80% is good, because unlike the other cars it recharges a little bit at full throttle. Possibly up to 85%, though this will increase your fuel consumption as you’ll be at full throttle a fraction longer. Have a play with the front diff. The key is to minimise front wheel spin to not waste the electric boost. I also found slightly stiffer springs (1-2 clicks f+r) feels good. Adjust ride height to not scrape/bottom out athigh speed. You also want to make sure rear ride height is equal or higher than the front, for a bit of rake.

More info on the 919 and hybrid use here.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

What tire compound were you using?
    What was your tire pressure?
    What was the track and tire temperatures?
    The following 3 users likes this Post: banner77amc, Joey Fazza, PostBox981

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    For the best advice on Hybrid use check out this video on YouTube by Yorkie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZvibtuV764&t=3s

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Phenomenal feedback, can’t wait to tackle this, thank you all so much

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Fazza View Post
    Hi there

Am looking on doing the Le Mans 24 hr Experience invitational, it will be the first time I’ve done a single race over an hour and a half and the first one where I’ve have had to plan pit strategies for a long endurance race. Am going to be driving the Porsche 919 HY AWD

Any chance of some opinions on:

Start race set up strategy
    In race pit strategy
    Best use of hybrid power

Cheers

Joey farrell
    Read the Le Mans physics post. That will give you an idea of how to use the hybrid system of each new 2016 LMP1 cars. Each one works a little differently so deploying the hybrid changes slightly with each car.
    Ryzen 1700 @3.8ghz|16GBs RAM @2933mhz|EVGA SC2 Hybrid 1080ti|1TB Samsung 960 EVO|250GB Samsung SSD|480GB SanDisk SSD
    1TB WD HDD|750w 80+ gold EVGA G3 PSU|Dell 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor|Fanatec V2.5|Fanatec Formula Carbon Rim|Fanatec V3 Pedals|TH8A Shifter|Fanatec Handbrake

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Not necessarily specific to Le Mans but just some good general advice when it comes to longer races: Don't try to win in the first lap. Be patient. You've got all the time in the world so if you drop a position or two at the start don't try to claw them back immediately but just get settled in and then work on them one by one. What counts is being in a position to push to the finish at the end. If you use up the car and your nerves early you won't fair well.

Also, when it comes to pitting it'll mostly depend on what fuel/tire wear settings you have. If they're both set to normal and it's just the daylight that's on fast progression you may only need to pit once about halfway through. If they're turned up though you may have to stop more than once. If you're on hards you can double-stint them pretty easily at Le Mans so as long as you take care of the car, you should really only have to stop for fuel.
    Project Cars 2 is coming here! Okay enough with the silly signatures... I gotta find something better to put here.

Platform
    PS4
    I tend to set it so I'm on hard tyres and with a big fuel load. That means if you're racing for a few hours you can go longer between pitstops and ultimately pit less times than the other drivers. Tend to find quite a variety of strategies among the AI, the Audis seem to steam ahead early on but pit a bit sooner, although I do find that the R18 has a pace advantage over the Porsche and Toyota in the hands of the AI. Also, if you switch to the AI then they always seem to lap quite a bit slower and undo some of your good work. At Silverstone (set 2hrs30) I was running 1:45s quite happily, then when I switched out for AI they were doing 1:49s at best. It's a bit annoying.

Be really careful, is the best advice I think. In a long race it's insanely easy to clatter into the back of a GT car and damage the car, or get disqualified for entering the pits too fast. No rewind here! If you stuff up you stuff up and if it comes 2 and a bit hours into a long race, you've got no comeback. If you lap consistently, deal with the traffic and manage the strategy the race often seems to come to you even if you're running sixth, ten seconds behind the leader, after ten laps or so.