Thread: What am I missing?

Platform
    PC

What am I missing?

Seeing all these fantastic liveries being made, I thought I'd give it a try. I started off with this one:

It took me embarassingly long just to recreate the red panel behind the door. Creating an entire livery will take me an eternity; I haven't even touched all the separate pieces around the front and back of the car. So either this is a very time consuming hobby, or I'm missing some key concepts.

Some questions:

- How long does it take on average to create livery? I'm not talking about finding the right logos and such, just lining up basic shapes, lines, colors across the entire body.
    - Every panel gap seems to be represented by multiple lines on the wireframe, like the upper edge of the red panel in the screenshot below. How do you know which line is the actual separator of a panel? Trial and error?

- How do all the loose pieces of wireframe around the front and back come into play? Take the photo below, for example:

There's a grey stripe from the bottom of the bumper up to the windscreen. Should I manually try and match up all the loose pieces of wireframe so they all line up, like in the screenshot below?

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - ASRock A320M Pro4 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB - G.Skill 16GB DDR4 - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W - Thrustmaster T300 RS - Triple monitors

Platform
    PC
    - How long does it take on average to create livery? I'm not talking about finding the right logos and such, just lining up basic shapes, lines, colors across the entire body.
    ---Um, way too long. Obviously as you get more used to the process, it gets quicker, but it would say it roughly takes me anywhere between 5-10 hours for basic graphics. More for intricate liveries. It took me about 2 hours for each of my N224 AMG skins to just do the drivers names and get them sized/positioned in a way that I liked. I also re-did the graphics about 4 times until I was happy.
    - Every panel gap seems to be represented by multiple lines on the wireframe, like the upper edge of the red panel in the screenshot below. How do you know which line is the actual separator of a panel? Trial and error?
    ---Yeah, trial and error. Sometimes there is a green line on the wireframe that denotes a gap, but usually its trial and error.
    -There's a grey stripe from the bottom of the bumper up to the windscreen. Should I manually try and match up all the loose pieces of wireframe so they all line up, like in the screenshot below?
    ---Manually match up the best you can, and then see how it is in-game (with wireframe still visible) and take screenshots so you can reference how far to move the graphic to match up properly.

What I like to do if I can't figure out where certain loose pieces are on the model is create a layer called 'Panel Test' and make each of the loose pieces a different color. I then export to the .dds and load it in-game and see where those pieces are. Sometimes they aren't even visible. If they are, I will make a note or separate layer for future reference when it comes time to paint those areas.

Another tip: Layers, layers, layers. And save often.
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | McLaren GT3 Rim
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C
    The following 2 users likes this Post: satco1066, Zenzic

Platform
    PC
    Wow, ok, thanks for the insight. This is definitely as much work as I feared it would be then.
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - ASRock A320M Pro4 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB - G.Skill 16GB DDR4 - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W - Thrustmaster T300 RS - Triple monitors

Platform
    PC
    Regarding the thread title, you're just missing experience
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.
    The following user likes this Post: AbeWoz

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzic View Post
    Wow, ok, thanks for the insight. This is definitely as much work as I feared it would be then.
    without a doubt. But i love it.
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | McLaren GT3 Rim
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzic View Post
    Seeing all these fantastic liveries being made, I thought I'd give it a try. I started off with this one:

It took me embarassingly long just to recreate the red panel behind the door. Creating an entire livery will take me an eternity; I haven't even touched all the separate pieces around the front and back of the car. So either this is a very time consuming hobby, or I'm missing some key concepts.

Some questions:

- How do all the loose pieces of wireframe around the front and back come into play? Take the photo below, for example:

There's a grey stripe from the bottom of the bumper up to the windscreen. Should I manually try and match up all the loose pieces of wireframe so they all line up, like in the screenshot below?

I just started doing this stuff on GIMP with zero experience with GIMP or creating a livery minus my time spent on Forza a little over a month ago.

It's a long process that depending on how detailed you want to be can take hours upon hours. I have a love hate relationship with the process. Finishing one feels great especially once you get it on track. Struggling while making one is probably leading me towards a stress brian tumor or aneurism.
    Ryzen 1700 @3.8ghz|16GBs RAM @2933mhz|EVGA SC2 Hybrid 1080ti|1TB Samsung 960 EVO|250GB Samsung SSD|480GB SanDisk SSD
    1TB WD HDD|750w 80+ gold EVGA G3 PSU|Dell 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor|Fanatec V2.5|Fanatec Formula Carbon Rim|Fanatec V3 Pedals|TH8A Shifter|Fanatec Handbrake

Platform
    PC
    and now you should understand what great work the graphics guys did with thousands of very great liveries .
    Cheers to Jan Frischkorn and his team
    System Shuttle SX79 | CPU i7 4930k @ 3.4 GHz | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU GTX1080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1709 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1
    Devil's Core Project Cars Team ( german language )
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/devilscorede/
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/
    STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/devils-core/

The following user likes this Post: Zenzic

Platform
    PC
    I found earlier that if you increase the transparency of the 'Wire frame' to 100% it shows up better with green lines, I've worked towards just the inside of those IIRC. Remember to 'hide' the wire frame when you save the file.

Platform
    PC
    It's sometimes helpful to duplicate wireframe layer and invert colour.