Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Engine Damage Has No Effect

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampo View Post
    If it's needed, I made an update to PC2Info so that you can see engine damage as a full float (and greyed out the non-working calculated values). Use switch -f to see the float. Could someone with a console and a PC test if the UDP mode gets anything from the console? I can't test myself.
    Excellent!

P.S. Please consider putting a link to PC2Info in your signature (makes it easier for you to refer to it)?

P.P.S. Maybe consider doing a release number that is monotonically increasing such that people can tell if there's a newer version available? Instead of PC2Info v0.y.z, just do a PC2Info-rNN and ensure that your buildscript outputs a .zip with the release tag appended?
    Last edited by ermo; Yesterday at 18:01.
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 32GB DDR3-2400 | GFX Vega 64 AC @ 3x27" 1080p | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | OS Win10 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓

"We respond to well constructed criticism, good ideas which are properly described and thought through, and ideas that will benefit the whole community, not a vocal minority.

Do not repeat requests, be patient and polite, and have some confidence in our ongoing desire to improve the game for all users, which we have clearly and ably demonstrated in the past." -- Richard Steer, Slightly Mad Studios

Platform
    PC
    Will do. I didn't think anyone used it so I just put it behind the same link. The newest one has that full float change.
    CPU Intel i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK | RAM 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | GPU nVidia GTX980 4GB (390.77) | Audio Realtek 5.1 on MB | Screen AOC U3477PQU | OS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    In-game settings: 2560x1080 / 3440x1440 | Texture Resolution HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON | AA None | Reflections MED | Envmap MED | Vehicle HIGH | World HIGH | Shadows MED | Motion Blur NO | Render Frames Ahead 1 | Particles MED/MED/MED

PC2Info, a PC program that shows most memory mapped stats the game provides.
    The following user likes this Post: ermo

Platform
    PC
    No screenshots this time. Tested with Oreca Nissan LMP2 at indy oval. Full throttle in 1st gear until the engine overheats (>130 degrees Celsius).

- The "ENGINE_WARNING" flag is set at Oil Temp = 130 degrees Celsius
    - At >80% damage, the engineer comes on stating that I should expect to lose top speed (since drag increases with velocity squared and drag limits top speed, it implies that lower power equals lower top speed).
    - At 99% damage I yet again saw no decrease in engine power or torque.

Conclusion? The behaviour is consistent across cars but is inconsistent with behaviour observed earlier in development where overheating-induced damage *would* decrease observed torque and therefore power.

Now on to crashing some cars into concrete barriers to see if this impacts engine power level.
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 32GB DDR3-2400 | GFX Vega 64 AC @ 3x27" 1080p | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | OS Win10 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓

"We respond to well constructed criticism, good ideas which are properly described and thought through, and ideas that will benefit the whole community, not a vocal minority.

Do not repeat requests, be patient and polite, and have some confidence in our ongoing desire to improve the game for all users, which we have clearly and ably demonstrated in the past." -- Richard Steer, Slightly Mad Studios
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Hammerpgh, Sessionerror, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampo View Post
    If it's needed, I made an update to PC2Info so that you can see engine damage as a full float (and greyed out the non-working calculated values). Use switch -f to see the float. Could someone with a console and a PC test if the UDP mode gets anything from the console? I can't test myself.
    I'll give this a bash. Hopefully I'll get on tonight to try it out
    2018 Indycar League on pCars 2 - http://consoleracing.boards.net/boar...ar-league-2018
    Vintage F1 on pCars 2 - http://consoleracing.boards.net/boar...1-championship
    Xbox One X, TM Ferrari Italia 458 TX, Xrocker Gaming Chair, Samsung 30" TV, RsDash.

Platform
    PC
    I can confirm that physical damage impacts engine power as informally stated by several posters:

- Did 4 more or less identical hits to the front of the GT-86 at indy oval, taking care to just hit the zone on the front that contains the engine (so no suspension damage).
    - Each hit imparted damage of 20%
    - Took a screenshot at 80% damage which also shows the PC2Info data (it was run with the -f parameter -- very useful, thanks Sampo!)
    - As the screenshot shows, the power and torque @7000 RPM is down to 146hp/148 Nm, suggesting that physical damage does in fact impact power as suggested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80_percent_crash_induced_damage_with_power_loss.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	256393

Conclusion? We need Casey to pop in and let us know whether engine damage due to too high oil-temps is or is not supposed to impact power.

Next test? Try the various damage options to see if I can replicate the oil-temperature related damage behaviour (no change in torque/power) via physical damage.

The following 6 users likes this Post: Hammerpgh, niblips, OddTimer, PostBox981, Sessionerror, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Excellent work Ermo really appreciate the time and effort being taken to get to the bottom of this issue.
    2018 Indycar League on pCars 2 - http://consoleracing.boards.net/boar...ar-league-2018
    Vintage F1 on pCars 2 - http://consoleracing.boards.net/boar...1-championship
    Xbox One X, TM Ferrari Italia 458 TX, Xrocker Gaming Chair, Samsung 30" TV, RsDash.

Platform
    PC
    Couldn't replicate the Oil-temperature induced damage behaviour when using deliberate crashes to create physical engine damage with either Damage Type: Full Damage/Performance Impacting/Visual Only with Mechanical Failures: No.

However, it turns out that Full Damage and Mechanical Failures: No allows for testing what happens at 100% damage as the damage value will just roll back to 99.9% every time it hits 100%.

Power (183 hp / 186 Nm) at 1 hit = 20% physical damage (Full Damage + Mechanical Failures: No):

Name:	mech_failures_off_damage_full_20_percent_crash_damage_power_loss.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	256395

Power (134 hp / 136 Nm ) at 5 hits = 100% physical damage (Full Damage + Mechanical Failures: No):

Name:	mech_failures_off_damage_full_100_percent_crash_damage_power_loss.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	256397

So, yeah, I think we need to hear from the game design people now.

EDIT: This is the crash test site I used right at the pit exit on indy oval:

Name:	crash_damage_test_site_on_indy_oval_pit_exit.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	256398
    Last edited by ermo; Yesterday at 20:01.

The following 6 users likes this Post: Hammerpgh, niblips, OddTimer, PostBox981, Sessionerror, Zaskarspants