Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustration with the engineer

Platform
    PC

Angry Frustration with the engineer

I don't really tune cars, and don't know how. I can drive the crap out of them, but I wasn't born in the 70's or 80's. I don't know what any of that stuff is. I would have thought the engineer would have remedied this, but unfortunately that's not the case. I can pick just about any track in this game, and sort the leader boards out by car. I can hop in that car, and lap until I get as close to perfect as I can. I have noticed that on every single leader board there are two clusters of times. And the gap between the clusters seems consistent every time. There will be a group or 4 or 5 guys who might get a (4:02, 4.03, 4.06), and then a following group of guys in the same car getting (4:34, 4:35, 4:37). This is clearly tuning. This is what I hate about racing games. There's always these secrets in the tuning that some guys know, and some guys don't, and they get separated on the leader boards, regardless of how well they can drive the cars. It's extremely frustrating because it's not fair. The engineer doesn't help me almost most of the time. Sometimes it will ask me if I'm having trouble hitting my cars top speed, I will say yes, and it will tell me my car doesn't have the functionality required to change this setting? So how are people getting that car to hit the top speed??? All of this has made me poopoo the leader boards because I don't actually view the boards as the best drivers anymore. It's more like a group of guys who know how to tune the car to drive faster.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by shadybrady View Post
    I don't really tune cars, and don't know how. I can drive the crap out of them, but I wasn't born in the 70's or 80's. I don't know what any of that stuff is. I would have thought the engineer would have remedied this, but unfortunately that's not the case. I can pick just about any track in this game, and sort the leader boards out by car. I can hop in that car, and lap until I get as close to perfect as I can. I have noticed that on every single leader board there are two clusters of times. And the gap between the clusters seems consistent every time. There will be a group or 4 or 5 guys who might get a (4:02, 4.03, 4.06), and then a following group of guys in the same car getting (4:34, 4:35, 4:37). This is clearly tuning. This is what I hate about racing games. There's always these secrets in the tuning that some guys know, and some guys don't, and they get separated on the leader boards, regardless of how well they can drive the cars. It's extremely frustrating because it's not fair. The engineer doesn't help me almost most of the time. Sometimes it will ask me if I'm having trouble hitting my cars top speed, I will say yes, and it will tell me my car doesn't have the functionality required to change this setting? So how are people getting that car to hit the top speed??? All of this has made me poopoo the leader boards because I don't actually view the boards as the best drivers anymore. It's more like a group of guys who know how to tune the car to drive faster.
    I can understand you. It's the exact reason why i asked for the option to have the AI changing or not changing the setup based on the difficulty level. A lot of people against the under 80% AI want the tuning challenge and a lot of others (like me) want to play over 80% without having the AI changing setup. I just want a faster better AI...
    Last edited by sirio994; 18-06-2018 at 23:40.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    What cars/tracks are you referring to? For most cars, tuning will give you very little, from a couple tenths up to around one second, or maybe 2 seconds at most in some of the normal tracks. Maybe some special tracks like LeMans require special setups, but still that's not gonna give anybody 30 seconds of lap time...
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Chin, hkraft300

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    What cars/tracks are you referring to? For most cars, tuning will give you very little, from a couple tenths up to around one second, or maybe 2 seconds at most in some of the normal tracks. Maybe some special tracks like LeMans require special setups, but still that's not gonna give anybody 30 seconds of lap time...
    This is true. It also has a lot to do with hardware, wheel and ffb options. When i moved from the G29 to the CSL Elite with load cell brake pedal i instantly gained 2 secs in every racing game i play (just for the more accurate feeback and braking)

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Something to remember about the leaderboards is that some of those times were set back when a certain car may have been faster than it is now. Some cars have been "balanced" in patches so the times present on the LB may not be indicative of what that car is currently capable of.

Handy thing to check is http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/ which will not only show you when the time was set but also whether a custom tune was in fact used. After that, try and get close to or beat the best time using the default setup and call it a day.

Source: I'm exactly the same as you. Put me in a car with the same tune as somebody else and I'll probably beat that person's best time. But when it comes to tuning? Faghetaboutit.
    Project Cars 2 is coming here! Okay enough with the silly signatures... I gotta find something better to put here.
    The following user likes this Post: VelvetTorpedo

seeing as how you can use the setups off TT by downloading the ghost, I don't see how this is even an issue...

likewise.. if you use the default setup, just compare with others using the default..

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following 3 users likes this Post: blinkngone, cpcdem, hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sirio994 View Post
    This is true. It also has a lot to do with hardware, wheel and ffb options. When i moved from the G29 to the CSL Elite with load cell brake pedal i instantly gained 2 secs in every racing game i play (just for the more accurate feeback and braking)
    It could be hardware then. I'm just using a T150 lol. I've used the G29, but for some reason I don't know why everybody likes it. In the center of the wheel there's this mushy spot that you can't fix. It's just the way the wheel is. I actually preferred the T150. If you are seeing drastic results with hardware, I'm even more frustrated. Specifically because it's a game. We're not actually talking about real cars on real tracks. I don't have 2 years to learn how to tune a specific car, to a specific wheel on a specific track. And nobody's going to be able to help you in that regard. They can give you advice, but hardly anybody uses the same hardware. The guys in the top clusters are probably using better hardware too then I would think. It's just annoying because at this point, we're so far away from "who's a better driver". Maybe we can have a leader boards for best tune, and a leader board for the guy who spent the most money on hardware.

Platform
    PC
    [QUOTE=3800racingfool;1520920]Something to remember about the leaderboards is that some of those times were set back when a certain car may have been faster than it is now. Some cars have been "balanced" in patches so the times present on the LB may not be indicative of what that car is currently capable of.

^^^ Really??? And they didn't reset the leader boards? What's the rationale behind that? Why nerf the car and not the boards? Early bird gets the worm. I find this in other games also Like in Forza they made it real easy to get credits in the beginning, and by the time I bought it, they made it harder so everybody had like 10x as many credits as me if they started earlier.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It could be hardware then. I'm just using a T150 lol. I've used the G29, but for some reason I don't know why everybody likes it. In the center of the wheel there's this mushy spot that you can't fix. It's just the way the wheel is. I actually preferred the T150. If you are seeing drastic results with hardware, I'm even more frustrated. Specifically because it's a game. We're not actually talking about real cars on real tracks. I don't have 2 years to learn how to tune a specific car, to a specific wheel on a specific track. And nobody's going to be able to help you in that regard. They can give you advice, but hardly anybody uses the same hardware. The guys in the top clusters are probably using better hardware too then I would think. It's just annoying because at this point, we're so far away from "who's a better driver". Maybe we can have a leader boards for best tune, and a leader board for the guy who spent the most money on hardware.
    I am also using a G29, and a small 23'' monitor and although I cannot beat the very top players, I can get close to them, at about one second behind or so. But it wasn't always like that, when the game was released I was much more behind, but after more than 1000 hours in the game, so A LOT of practice, I got faster. I also do not tune, or if I do, I do very small changes, that helps a little bit, but it's practice the thing that really makes a lot of difference.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    What are you talking on and on about? TX3 Rinpoku has WRs and is near the top of of many tracks in TT while using a gamepad. Suomy has many top times using Default. The game has only been out since September 2017 so hardly 2 years to learn how to tune. One of the people who has already responded to you in this thread has 1,000 WRs using mostly Default setups, a barely minimum spec PC and an old beat down wheel.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, leeroy98, sloppysmusic