Thread: Wet weather puddle car physics model wrong in many ways

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1

Wet weather puddle car physics model wrong in many ways

Can the devs have a look at this as its been said before that the puddles in game are so unrealistic to drive through and wish we could have a full wet race like we used to in the original game.

https://youtu.be/G0gAt19wGxU

I've seen videos of the same thing at LeMans and there is that puddle on Murrays corner Bathurst that stops anything driving through it without spinning. Im yet to see this puddle in real life and Bathurst 1000 last year was wet for most of the race and never did a puddle form through the last corner.

Even so it would be nice if the developers could change the wet weather car handling through puddles to be a lot more driver friendly.

Regards
    Giving it a red hot go

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    We had a similar issue in our Vintage F1 Championship race a couple of months back. Virtually undriveable with the car aquaplaning all over and sometimes just floating on the surface if you slowed right down. Funny to watch back but not to drive :/
    2018 Indycar League on pCars 2 - http://consoleracing.boards.net/boar...ar-league-2018
    Vintage F1 on pCars 2 - http://consoleracing.boards.net/boar...1-championship
    Xbox One X, TM Ferrari Italia 458 TX, Xrocker Gaming Chair, Samsung 30" TV, RsDash.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Further testing on this issue has shown the following:-

Original test is for a league GT1 championship we are finalising for Australian racers.
    We are doing 1 hour duration races but sorted into laps distance.
    Real time progression
    Silverstone wet race 28 laps, 4 weather slots sync to race with 1st 3 slots light rain then the last slot, thunderstorm.
    I only got to lap 17 before it was impossible to drive along Brooklands straight between turns 5 and 6 due to aquaplaning in the puddles covering the track.

Carried out a 2nd test but this time using real weather progression with only 2 slots being light rain then thunderstorm. As we know 1 real-time slot last for 1 hour with transitions starting around the 40-50 minute mark.

The track saturation is slower using this setting with the accumulation of puddles slower so the end result was the same water/puddles on track going into the final lap of 28 compared to the same using 4 slots synced to race in my 1st test where the track conditions the same on lap 17.

So using the real weather progression will let us enjoy the change to a thunderstorm with lightning starting around the 37 minute mark (15 laps) of racing creating good visuals and a track you can still race on.

My summary of this is that using wet weather slots that change quicker then every hour will see increased water saturation on the track surface creating puddles at a increased rate.

This still doesn’t hide the fact that puddles need to be worked on by the developers as if you wanted to keep a wet race longer then the hour using real weather and time progression, you wouldn’t be able to continue much after 30 laps.
    Giving it a red hot go
    The following user likes this Post: Hammerpgh

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyLizard View Post
    Further testing on this issue has shown the following:-

Original test is for a league GT1 championship we are finalising for Australian racers.
    We are doing 1 hour duration races but sorted into laps distance.
    Real time progression
    Silverstone wet race 28 laps, 4 weather slots sync to race with 1st 3 slots light rain then the last slot, thunderstorm.
    I only got to lap 17 before it was impossible to drive along Brooklands straight between turns 5 and 6 due to aquaplaning in the puddles covering the track.

Carried out a 2nd test but this time using real weather progression with only 2 slots being light rain then thunderstorm. As we know 1 real-time slot last for 1 hour with transitions starting around the 40-50 minute mark.

The track saturation is slower using this setting with the accumulation of puddles slower so the end result was the same water/puddles on track going into the final lap of 28 compared to the same using 4 slots synced to race in my 1st test where the track conditions the same on lap 17.

So using the real weather progression will let us enjoy the change to a thunderstorm with lightning starting around the 37 minute mark (15 laps) of racing creating good visuals and a track you can still race on.

My summary of this is that using wet weather slots that change quicker then every hour will see increased water saturation on the track surface creating puddles at a increased rate.

This still doesn’t hide the fact that puddles need to be worked on by the developers as if you wanted to keep a wet race longer then the hour using real weather and time progression, you wouldn’t be able to continue much after 30 laps.
    That pretty much concurs with what we found too.
    2018 Indycar League on pCars 2 - http://consoleracing.boards.net/boar...ar-league-2018
    Xbox One X, TM Ferrari Italia 458 TX, Xrocker Gaming Chair, Samsung 30" TV, RsDash.

Platform
    PC
    Well... kudos for these tests.
    My opinion is that, in real life, a completely damp track like that... would cause a red flag. And that's the whole point IMO.
    I mean, it can happen that it rains so much that the race must be stopped... and it would be stopped in real life.

So, it's not correct to title the thread "Wet weather puddle car physics model wrong in many ways".
    The puddle physics may be exaggerated... cars have the tendency to slide a little to easily... but the point is that most of you/us, will still continue to play even with an amount of water on the track that would cause red flags IRL.
    "I was playing pCARS on PC before it was mainstream" - cit.

MB: Asus Strix Z270F Gaming
    CPU: i5-7600K @4.63GHz
    RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LED 2666mhz
    GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Gaming A8G
    HD: Corsair MP500 240Gb M.2 PCIe + Crucial MX300 1Tb M.2 SATA
    Audio: Onboard Realtech sound chip + Sennheiser headphones / stereo speakers
    Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 w/ P1 Elite rim + Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3 + Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ + Playseat racing seat
    Monitor: Asus PA 238Q - 23" 1920x1080 P-IPS
    Case & PSU: NZXT H440 V.2, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate, Corsair RM850i
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro N, nVidia WHQL Drivers 388.31
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Just Another Frog, Schnizz58, Zaskarspants

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Slicks in a thunderstorm. I think this shows the whole simulation of water / puddles and grip loss is very well done.

I had to lower the AI to 30. I often drive in heavy rain as I enjoy the different challenges and rarely do i find it frustrating.

Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskarspants View Post
    Slicks in a thunderstorm. I think this shows the whole simulation of water / puddles and grip loss is very well done.

I had to lower the AI to 30. I often drive in heavy rain as I enjoy the different challenges and rarely do i find it frustrating.

We had constant aqua planing at Rouen in the Vintage series... just going very slowly around the hairpin on almost every occasion would have the car just float into the banking causing damage and along the front stretch before the pits was like a lake where you just floated along and spun around lol No way to prevent it as you had no control of the car at that point.

Just having looked at your recording the conditions on track were nowhere near what we experienced, I didn't see any major puddles formed on the surface which is what was the big problem for us and of course you are driving a modern car much more able to handle the wet conditions whereas we were in the Lotus 49. I might still have the replay of our race and if I have I will post it here but I am on vacation after tomorrow so it's unlikely to be for a while. I also enjoy the challenge of wet weather driving and have done so for many years but this just seemed a little over the top.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    If you haven't, watch Yorkie065's excellent videos on weather and livetrack:
    Ep 26: https://youtu.be/bMdkxhRjoqs
    Ep 27: https://youtu.be/I-sBgmFg0cE

Also on wet weather driving:
    Ep 24: https://youtu.be/gTNl4weCQeU

Some excellent info in those videos. Highly recommended!
    For instance, different track locations have different drainage. Some better, some worse, which explains why there are more big puddles at some tracks.
    Thrustmaster TX, Italia 458 wheel, 2 pedals, Firmware 53, Xbox One X since Aug -18, Samsung P2350 monitor
    Don't miss Yorkie065's excellent videos: Ep26-LiveTrack pt1. Ep 27-LiveTrack pt2.
    The following user likes this Post: Hammerpgh