Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So sick of tire issues what am I doing wrong?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

So sick of tire issues what am I doing wrong?

Seems to be worse after patch 6 but I'm getting demoralized finding any race worth bothering to tune for and compete against AI at high level.
    Been zipping thru the Manufacturer events at low AI settings as I cant get a set of tires that grip after 3 laps in soft slicks and 10 with hard.
    The slicks are only good for qualifying with and then only ONE lap. Takes 2 laps to get them almost warmed up then they are gone by the end of 3rd. The AI are laughing at me drifting off track whilst leading....
    If I use hards the AI are just too quick for me on settings much over 50 and softs of course i need races 3 laps or LESS. I posted a lot of tunes where I took the AI out fairly easily on 100. Now it seems impossible...

Here's an example. Diablo GTR GTO tune at Sugo. Running at only 50 AI first race I held on to 2nd until my front left overheated last lap and I was out of race.

I also tried using a hard slick on the front left only and soft on the rest which helped me out at Algarve but here it's so twisty I lose all balance in the car.

I then raised temps of fronts by 5 PSI to see if that helped.

Tires didn't overheat so much but after 1 lap there was about 1/4 wear! Was leading till near end of lap 3 then I just slid out as could not brake in time for an easy corner.
    Here is the full tune. The only thing that COULD make a difference is my using Viscous LCD and semi drifting into corners. But this much wear after 2 1/2 laps?
    Advice please is it my tune or are there no tires for some cars that are any use whatsoever?

The first screen shot is after only 2 1/2 laps!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180620212758.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	256490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180620213042.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	256491

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180620213105.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	256492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180620213114.jpg 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	256493

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180620213122.jpg 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	256494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180620213133.jpg 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	256495

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180620213141.jpg 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	256496

Platform
    PC
    I'm not actually too familiar with Sugo myself, but one thing I notice straight away is that you have 0 camber. Tends to be an absolute minimum of -1.5 needed. And it may be worth trying the hard tyres with a lower starting pressure.
    ACR Driver Profile - ActrollVision.com
    My Mixer channel - Mixer.com/TekNeil
    92 Vw Corrado G60 - CorradoG60.co.uk

I7-6700K @ 4.4Ghz / MSI GTX 1080 @2025 Core, +600 Mem / 16GB Ram @ 2800MHz / HTC Vive

Platform
    PC
    Hi sloppys, I can't run soft tires. Also as TekNeil suggested I think you need to be trying to get to 26 PSI after you are running so your start pressures are too high. Sorry I haven't run Sugo but with this car I have run -3.0 front camber and -1.7 rear. It seems with low camber and high pressure you will be sliding your front too much which will wreck it eventually.

Also on my Diablo I have no 3rd spring/damper???

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-20 22-23-57-53.jpg 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	256500
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TekNeil View Post
    I'm not actually too familiar with Sugo myself, but one thing I notice straight away is that you have 0 camber. Tends to be an absolute minimum of -1.5 needed. And it may be worth trying the hard tyres with a lower starting pressure.
    True, but camber INCREASES tire wear if i am correct? So would ADD heat to the tires? Which is why it is 0. Same as toe in. Thanks for the reply though, must be a way of figuring this out!
    Camber is normally tweaked to equalize pressure from outside/center/inside of tires. That front left that is wasted has only about 7f warmer on outside. A smidgen! No way enough to cause this much wear surely? The tires are not even that hot...
    Yes, with lower temps the hard tires can make it through 3 laps but as I mentioned, I then have no chance against the AI at even 50!

Here is a race from GT3 at Dubai GP..6 laps of heavy driving, mucho throttle and brake pedal usage and plenty of hard turns.
    This is what I would think is perfectly normal? Slight overheat and a little wear from soft slicks. Are the road soft slicks considerably inferior?

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180620221937.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	256501

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    [QUOTE=blinkngone;1521754]Hi sloppys, I can't run soft tires. Also as TekNeil suggested I think you need to be trying to get to 26 PSI after you are running so your start pressures are too high. Sorry I haven't run Sugo but with this car I have run -3.0 front camber and -1.7 rear. It seems with low camber and high pressure you will be sliding your front too much which will wreck it eventually.

It's the GTR/GTO version, is that the one you are checking? The default stable setup for car runs 1.5 front and 1.0 rear camber for the car.

Thanks for reply blink! Less than 3 laps though and in the race I drove smooth maybe mild drift in 2 corners when passing.

There's a question re camber. Would removing all camber from a car (1.5 to 0) cause a tire to half wear out after only 3 laps? That seems a LOT of increased physical reaction with the tarmac....surely a TON of heat would be generated plus a TON of grip!?

I'm going to run 3 laps again with default stable setup and tires somewhat deflated. Screen shot will be forthcoming and maybe solve a mystery!
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 21-06-2018 at 02:38.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I think it's important to always do several laps in default setup first, so when you start setup changes you see if you have taken the wrong route (and your times get worse).

So do 10-20 quali laps in default setup, what lap times do you achieve? Compare your lap time with the top times in the (PC!) leaderboards, especially with the people that have done default runs, this will tell you if you need to practice more in this car/track, or you are already doing fine so it could just be a matter of unbalanced AI, in which case you SHOULD drop the AI level lower indeed.

Note that the lambo GTO seems that it is way slower by the other cars in its class. Not sure if the race you do has identical cars only, but in any case, this is a thing to keep in mind.

Platform
    PC
    [QUOTE=sloppysmusic;1521756]
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Hi sloppys, I can't run soft tires. Also as TekNeil suggested I think you need to be trying to get to 26 PSI after you are running so your start pressures are too high. Sorry I haven't run Sugo but with this car I have run -3.0 front camber and -1.7 rear. It seems with low camber and high pressure you will be sliding your front too much which will wreck it eventually.

It's the GTR/GTO version, is that the one you are checking? The default stable setup for car runs 1.5 front and 1.0 rear camber for the car.

Thanks for reply blink! Less than 3 laps though and in the race I drove smooth maybe mild drift in 2 corners when passing.

There's a question re camber. Would removing all camber from a car (1.5 to 0) cause a tire to half wear out after only 3 laps? That seems a LOT of increased physical reaction with the tarmac....surely a TON of heat would be generated plus a TON of grip!?

I'm going to run 3 laps again with default stable setup and tires somewhat deflated. Screen shot will be forthcoming and maybe solve a mystery!
    Yeah that's the one I am checking, maybe it just looks different on PS4? Can you make adjustments to those settings?

These are the top 2 runs at Sugo TT for camber.
    1st

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-20 22-51-14-62.jpg 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	256502
    2nd, 0.061 behind 1st

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-20 22-51-35-86.jpg 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	256503
    Last edited by blinkngone; 21-06-2018 at 02:54.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Almost zero camber on those runs!

I've had a LOT of practice on this track. No qualifying at this session so can't do that but would NOT work as tires be worn out before they warm up. Hard tires I can't beat AI over 25...

It's NOT me or my tune. Look at this video I just made. Only 3 laps using default tune 26psi road tire temp. No way is that normal wear surely?

I've done a TON of tuning in the last couple months, this is normal behavior for this car and tires. Had same issue at Algarve.
    AI setting does not matter....a front tire wearing out this fast IS the problem!

You can see me FLY past the AI at setting 50 here. I would normally be trying 100 at this track. First lap you can see why...

It's almost as if ACCELERATED tire wear is on? If so that would be a mistake in career surely?

Here is me with Ginetta 57 during qualifying AI 100/100.
    WR time is around 1.10. I'm doing under 1.15 here in qualifying not time trial I have radiator open and ducts open and a few laps of fuel to slow me down PLUS a bunch of cars to avoid!!
    Point is...I KNOW this track...and AI is 100 here...plus NO TIRE issues!
    (also....the video below is the FIRST time I ever used the G57 in the game...in the qualifying session. I ran one session to tweak the tune and then ran again to get a fast qualifying time - but as you can see from the above this is not about the AI the tires are faulty...worn by end of first lap)

Hey Blink. I know you can only run Silver Nat these days. Feel like giving this car a go in a custom race (not TT) with softs and conditions as shown just to see if after only a couple laps you can see tire wear like shown in the above video?
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 21-06-2018 at 03:43.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The video shows that the soft tires are cooking. So you must use hard tires instead.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    The video shows that the soft tires are cooking. So you must use hard tires instead.
    sigh...yes it does..after 1 lap.
    Hard tires the car needs less than 25 AI to keep up IF you are very careful and never get hit.
    Just ran TT.. few seconds behind PC WR 3 seconds faster than previous PS4 best.

I NEVER heard of slicks cooking in less than one lap before...LMP1 cars can do 3 hot laps of Spa before that happens.

ONLY this car/tire combo. Makes the event a joke.

Here are 2 shots from the TT showing tire temps before and after finish. Sudden drop after finish line but NOT reset? Is there NO tire wear in TT? NONE shown here but temps DO go up. Does this affect handling? Cos on last bend I nearly slid off.
    Serious question. Why should I HAVE to use hard slicks in a THREE lap race? WHY are the slicks even available if they can't handle ONE lap? (sorry that was 2 questions)
    Hard tires on this car are VERY slippery. You have to brake half a mile before the turn and the AI will smack you off before you get there. I challenge someone to do a hot lap (any time) in this car at this track on Hards without creeping round the circuit (custom race AI 50 identical AI cars or below 50 if you have to).
    I just tried to qualify on hards and quit after 2 laps sliding off into the dust.
    When AI or less is required for 'good' racers to win an invitational then said race is broken.
    Conclusion:
    Devs please remove soft slicks from the Diablo. They are defective and unusable and waste your customer's time completely!

PS. This car on soft slicks is a dream to drive ( for 3/4 lap). It would be great fun in the game. Hard slicks are NO fun for anyone at all. Therefore the car is being wasted. Wonder why it took me so long to find PS4 TT's for it? The Ferrari F40 is a dream on the same tires......

Name:	tt-before.jpg 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	256511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tt-after.jpg 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	256512
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 21-06-2018 at 04:48.