Thread: Formula Renault 3.5 AI Weak

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X

Formula Renault 3.5 AI Weak

I'd appreciate another opinion on the AI in the formula renaults, as after a quick search here no-one else seems to have commented on the AI pace. Am I the only one to find this?

Just started the formula renault career, jumped in the practice session at the algarve circuit - with the default stable setup. Did a few laps and adjusted tyre pressure and brake balance to suit. Started to get a feel for the car and track and pushed, and found to my surprise I was nearly 6 seconds faster than the AI over a lap. Quit the session to check the AI difficulty setting, was set at 85 which was where I had been in formula C. Upped the AI to 100 and went back into the practice session for a few laps. Better but still I was still 3 seconds faster than the AI. AI fastest 1:35.8, mine 1:32.8. All assists are off.

Looked at time trial records and the fastest lap set for formula renault is a 1:31.8. With some practice and some car tuning I could probably beat that time. Am I really that fast? I certainly didn't think so!

Set up a quick race at monza and, again with the AI at 100 with the default setup (save tyre pressures and brake balance) the same result - around 3 seconds faster over a lap. I didn't use DRS so have more laptime in hand and even so the AI seem slow on the straights and brake early. Corner speed seemed ok.

Guess I'll have to push the AI to 120 and see how it goes...

Superkart Pilot
    My feeling was that AI difficulty can vary from track to track, some races being harder than others, with Brands Hatch GP, Catalunya national, Nurbugring GP and ZIC immediately springing to mind as tracks I struggled on with AI difficulty set at 85+ and aggression on max. Mind you, I do race from the back so my main emphasis is less on lap times and more on clean overtaking to avoid damage when fighting thru the pack.

DRS? I wasn't even aware that the FR's had adjustable wings so that just goes to show how much attention i've been taking. doesn't it?

Q:Why did the XB1 gamer cross the road?
    A:To render the graphics on the other side.
    Boris The Frog

Platform
    PC
    Hey, what I am finding is that setting the AI to 100 skill doesn't mean all that much sometimes as JAF mentioned. If I run really slow the AI will run slower than they are capable of as well. So, you running way off pace compared to the WR is probably making the AI do so as well at the 100 skill level. The TT WR on PC is 1:27.200, you're running 1:32s. Also you didn't mention where you have your aggression set, max it out and if you can run better, the AI most likely will as well. Here is Sugo as an example. The TT WR is 1:06.139, I am putting around in the 1:15s, the AI won't pass me with low aggression(57) so we all putt around. I "win".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-24 14-08-23-07.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	256700
    Ok, so at 100/100 the AI picked up the pace a little but since I was slow they didn't go as fast as they could have but still picked up a couple of seconds over 100/57 times.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-24 14-54-38-93.jpg 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	256701
    Alright here is another example. I have the WR 0:48.099 with this car/track combo. At 100/100 the AI are less than 1.5 seconds off pace, I am slower but if I could duplicate my WR pace the AI probably would have improved as well. Of course the 3.5 AI might be broken as you observed but also JAF has instances where he feels the 3.5 AI are ok. I think in order to tell for sure you need to get someone who can run closer to the WR at Algarve with the AI at 100/100 and see if there is a problem.

Sorry, misread your post. You are already close to WR. Could you try 100/100?

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-24 15-07-36-17.jpg 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	256702
    Last edited by blinkngone; 24-06-2018 at 22:44.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Platform
    PC
    Ok, try this track. Silverstone National.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-24 19-04-01-93.jpg 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	256705

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-24 19-10-07-79.jpg 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	256706
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Platform
    PC
    Hey, I maxed out everything on Algarve, I couldn't push them and wrecked. They ran 1:33s on their own.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-24 19-21-29-25.jpg 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	256707

Platform
    PC
    I increased the number of AI to 5, I just tried to stay on track and see if they would at least race each other. They can do 1:30s easy so this could be enough to make it a challenge for you.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-24 19-33-20-82.jpg 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	256708

Platform
    PC
    This is what I mean by they will get faster if you can push them. They can easily go under the WR of 48.088 with this car track combo if you run better. I don't see why it would be any different at Algarve with the 3.5.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-06-24 20-04-27-88.jpg 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	256711

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Thanks for the testing blinkngone!

I didn't know the aggressiveness setting plays a part, but I find the AI reckless above 80 and I prefer to race with damage on. Player damage vs AI damage is another bugbare for me, but I'm not going into that now! I suspect that the AI don't use DRS as they seem slow on the straights and don't seem to gain as much benefit from a tow as the player does.

I find the propensity of the AI to lap faster as the player laps faster quite annoying. It means you'll only get a competitive race if you reach first place given they are up to 2 seconds slower in races compared to quali. So far I have yet to drive the really fast cars in the game and see little difference if I go for low fuel vs race fuel in quali. I have been using race fuel in practice /quali to understand and set up the car. To my mind the lead drivers AI should drive at 95% of the true max pace, then up it if they get challenged, those lower in the field should be more comparatively off the pace. If you sit in second the AI leader will lap up to 2 seconds a lap of what they could achieve, whilst the mid pack exceed quali times. This leads to an AI "train" - no gaps open up as is observed in real life. Kind of makes the racing seem contrived. Moreover it can be exploited with a last lap last sector overtake for an easy win.

With all that said, I've found with the renault 3.5 AI 110 skill 80 aggression is providing some good racing, and there is still a little headroom as I get better with the car and my setups evolve. So far I have to say this is my favorite car to drive in the game. I just seem to gel with it, it suits my style so to speak, which is why I guess I'm fast with it.

Thanks for the input dude, I understand the AI will never be perfect given the different physics model they use (let's hope processing power improves dramatically for PC3) and much improvement has been made. Discussions like this help everyone get the best experience possible from the game.
    Last edited by chastewand; 25-06-2018 at 11:17.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by chastewand View Post
    Thanks for the testing blinkngone!

I didn't know the aggressiveness setting plays a part, but I find the AI reckless above 80 and I prefer to race with damage on. Player damage vs AI damage is another bugbare for me, but I'm not going into that now! I suspect that the AI don't use DRS as they seem slow on the straights and don't seem to gain as much benefit from a tow as the player does.

I find the propensity of the AI to lap faster as the player laps faster quite annoying. It means you'll only get a competitive race if you reach first place given they are up to 2 seconds slower in races compared to quali. So far I have yet to drive the really fast cars in the game and see little difference if I go for low fuel vs race fuel in quali. I have been using race fuel in practice /quali to understand and set up the car. To my mind the lead drivers AI should drive at 95% of the true max pace, then up it if they get challenged, those lower in the field should be more comparatively off the pace. If you sit in second the AI leader will lap up to 2 seconds a lap of what they could achieve, whilst the mid pack exceed quali times. This leads to an AI "train" - no gaps open up as is observed in real life. Kind of makes the racing seem contrived. Moreover it can be exploited with a last lap last sector overtake for an easy win.

With all that said, I've found with the renault 3.5 AI 110 skill 80 aggression is providing some good racing, and there is still a little headroom as I get better with the car and my setups evolve. So far I have to say this is my favorite car to drive in the game. I just seem to gel with it, it suits my style so to speak, which is why I guess I'm fast with it.

Thanks for the input dude, I understand the AI will never be perfect given the different physics model they use (let's hope processing power improves dramatically for PC3) and much improvement has been made. Discussions like this help everyone get the best experience possible from the game.
    Hi, yeah I didn't know until a couple of days ago that the Aggressive setting had such an impact. I haven't done Career or Multiplayer. I have read where it takes some time to get the AI adjusted and in fact I have suggested this to people in the Garage as one of the first things they should optimize when doing their Career. It is a pain that it takes so much testing as you noted because as you improve so does the AI so it's almost necessary to constantly adjust/adapt. Overall I think it's still probably a good system because it allows less experienced people to get their own settings where they can race rather than have too many preselected parameters for the AI that would leave them frustrated with losing and not be able to enjoy the game.

Some car/tracks are worse than others. I ran quite a few with your favorite the Renault 3.5 and I think there is enough adjustability in them that you are going to have fun especially since you are already in the upper range of performance with your driving/tuning ability.

I found one car that was a problem for me since you started this thread. The Porsche 917K at Silverstone National even with everything maxed out is too easily beaten.