Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering Assist? Clear Advantage

Platform
    PC

Steering Assist? Clear Advantage

Hey SMS crew,

This whole steering assist thing is starting to bug me.

Will there be an option in the lobby settings where this can be set to disabled in the future?

It is a clear advantage from testing and isn't really indicative of real life racing, so for as close to simulation as possible there should be an option to not allow it to be used.

Basically like the way ABS, TC, SC can be turned off, Steering Assist should also be an option.

Getting aided by it allows a driver to be far more consistent, and helps correct oversteer etc..etc..and I'm thinking for the likes of ESL Go4's, SMSR and what other championships there are going to be, this Assist should be banned.

Cheers
    Murphy
    My Twitter Page
    PC- i5-8600K 3.6GHz, Gigabyte Z370, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, GTX 1070, 2TB HDD 7200 RPM, 16GB OPTANE MEMORY, CORSAIR 450W, PCS FrostFlow Cooler, Win 10 64 Bit
    RIG - Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer / T3PA Pro's with Ricmotech Loadcell / ART Omega Cockpit with Impreza seat MONITORS- x2 42" HD TV's, Oculus Rift CV1
    The following 2 users likes this Post: A Scott, Maskmagog

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I agree that Steering Assist and Braking Assist should both have an option to be banned.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Didn't know there was a steering assist.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/GTX 1070 8gb/16GB 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD/Oculus Rift CV1/Proscan 4K tv @ 60hz/inactivated windows 10/Thrustmaster TX/Alcantara wheel/T3PA Pro/TH8A.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Didn't realize this was something people can toggle on or off despite the race host rules.

Platform
    PS4
    I imagine it'd be really weird having steering asist on with a wheel.
    I thought it's more an assist for gamepad users as there's benefits there.
    I don't mind racing others using assists if it means the field is tighter. Fast guys wouldn't even notice, it'd be a hindrance for them and they're up at the front end of the field anyway.

Wouldn't hurt to add it to the assist ban options.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    I imagine it'd be really weird having steering asist on with a wheel.
    I thought it's more an assist for gamepad users as there's benefits there.
    I don't mind racing others using assists if it means the field is tighter. Fast guys wouldn't even notice, it'd be a hindrance for them and they're up at the front end of the field anyway.

Wouldn't hurt to add it to the assist ban options.
    If steering assist works the way I think it works it won't let you steer(much) more than the correct steering angle for the corner. So you are less likely to scrub off extra speed and overheat your tyres due to understeer. Which leads people to think a controller is just as good or better than the wheel, because the only thing you have to do is hard left and the cars will do the(semi)perfect left.

Even with a wheel that would be advantageous for the less than seasoned drivers. In fact this is the only thing that I have to keep telling my friends that come over: you're overturning the wheel. Once I get them to focus on that they can get near my times.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    DD1, 918 Wheel, SQ V1.5 Shifter, CS Handbrake V1.5 , V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, pferreirag60, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I'm less than a seasoned driver.
    Barely in the bottom 60-70% on the leaderborards.

But I remember setting one time with this on, couldn't let that stand so turned around and beat that time without assists with several seconds on my next three laps.
    It's not a magic bullet.
    It might even not do you any favours, like automatic gearing.
    Main rig: Asus ROG - strix z370, i7 8700k, MSI 1080ti gaming x, 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
    Logitech g533 headset. 32" ultrawide - Oculus Rift CV1.
    Wheel: G29
    Flight controls: Virpil t50 mongoose - TH Warthog throttle - CH pro throttle - MFG Crosswind.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    Obviously if you come into a corner too hot it's not going to magically help you get round said corner, but, from my testing of the assist:

In a race run it puts my consistency through the roof, especially when the tyres become more worn. You can feel it just ever so slightly countersteering just the right amount when you get sideways. It helps you get to the apex of a corner, dials out any late turn ins (aslong as you have braked enough)....it's basically like a bit of insurance if you make an error.

It's a 50/50 between the assist and solely myself when it comes to the likes of quali laps. Some tracks it's quicker, some tracks it's not. Thinking possibly the assist has some kind of racing line built into it, and in some cases it truly isn't the fastest option, for example..... The assist is insane at Imola and it isn't at Red Bull Ring.

Still though all that being said....anything that can give a clear advantage over a race distance needs looked at.
    My Twitter Page
    PC- i5-8600K 3.6GHz, Gigabyte Z370, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, GTX 1070, 2TB HDD 7200 RPM, 16GB OPTANE MEMORY, CORSAIR 450W, PCS FrostFlow Cooler, Win 10 64 Bit
    RIG - Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer / T3PA Pro's with Ricmotech Loadcell / ART Omega Cockpit with Impreza seat MONITORS- x2 42" HD TV's, Oculus Rift CV1
    The following user likes this Post: A Scott

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by F4H Murphy View Post
    Obviously if you come into a corner too hot it's not going to magically help you get round said corner, but, from my testing of the assist:

In a race run it puts my consistency through the roof, especially when the tyres become more worn. You can feel it just ever so slightly countersteering just the right amount when you get sideways. It helps you get to the apex of a corner, dials out any late turn ins (aslong as you have braked enough)....it's basically like a bit of insurance if you make an error.

It's a 50/50 between the assist and solely myself when it comes to the likes of quali laps. Some tracks it's quicker, some tracks it's not. Thinking possibly the assist has some kind of racing line built into it, and in some cases it truly isn't the fastest option, for example..... The assist is insane at Imola and it isn't at Red Bull Ring.

Still though all that being said....anything that can give a clear advantage over a race distance needs looked at.
    It probably also comes down to the question if your racing line is the same as the steering assistant's. It will try to correct your input for it's line which may not be the same as yours. It's probably based on the line the AI takes and the 'show racing line' helper. If you follow that you should get the most out of it.

But like you said it most probably helps with consistency, and IMHO the possible gain is greater than with SC so IMHO it should be off when the host selects all assists off, because it's one of the most helpful(or at least on par with ABS). Even more specifically, once SC is not allowed, steering help should be disallowed too.

On the other hand it keeps people from crashing(into you), specifically when using a controller, so it has it's merits.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    DD1, 918 Wheel, SQ V1.5 Shifter, CS Handbrake V1.5 , V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I didn't realize you were talking bout the controller assist. Give the gamepad users their assistance. FFB users have a greater advantage. I've been playing PC2 pretty much on controller and I feel the feature is not OP. You still have to catch it on exits and throttle control. Might as well take out FFB for wheel users as it's clearly a steering assist. Now, I'm racing on my TX and I'm even more consistent. I believe AMS and rfactor 2 have steering assist that actually help steer the car for the user during tight situations, PC2 opposite steering assist just let's you know that the car wants to step out.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/GTX 1070 8gb/16GB 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD/Oculus Rift CV1/Proscan 4K tv @ 60hz/inactivated windows 10/Thrustmaster TX/Alcantara wheel/T3PA Pro/TH8A.