Thread: An Idea For Upper-Management

Threaded View

Platform
    PC
    @JasonSandwich:

So you're basically after a StarCitizen subscriber funding model? Sans the "will it ever come out of alpha?!" bickering of course?

I personally think that a WMD-supporter model might not be such a bad idea. However, as I perceive it, there are a two major sticking points that we have also already hit during the closed WMD development phases.

One issue is that, since PC2 is cross-platform, legally speaking SMS is not allowed to be as transparent as we (the audience) might have preferred due to the NDAs surrounding console development.

The other thing is that SC is a completely community crowd-funded thing and doesn't really have a direct competitor. This isn't the case with PC2.

Based on my experience with SMS (who are comprised of a great bunch of people I might add), they're passionate developers who do have their own vision of what PC2 should be and will sometimes make an executive decision that some people might not agree with (just like in any other business). You simply can't please everyone all the time.

So, giving people subscriber-level access might present certain challenges in that it is very easy for a contributor to (falsely) assume ownership, when in reality we have just paid for "backstage passes". Sure, we get to see the preparations behind the curtain, but we really have no business thinking we run the show and get the final say on all aspects of the performance. This is more or less the only way it can be made to work from a business perspective for SMS, if we assume the goal is for SMS to be able to do their thing and deliver on their internal timelines. Most long-time WMD people will over time have realised and accepted this.

I do however want to stress that SMS do listen very carefully to reports and suggestions as long as people put in the effort to outline the how and the why in detail (the same goes for the present forum). But the buck stops with SMS, so SMS gets the final call.

In summary: I like the idea in principle, but I have some reservations in terms of implementing it; mostly related to how to handle the expectations of -- and the inevitable noise from -- those who haven't previously been exposed to the WMD way of doing things...
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 32GB DDR3-2400 | GFX Vega 64 AC @ 3x27" 1080p | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | OS Win10 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓

"We respond to well constructed criticism, good ideas which are properly described and thought through, and ideas that will benefit the whole community, not a vocal minority.

Do not repeat requests, be patient and polite, and have some confidence in our ongoing desire to improve the game for all users, which we have clearly and ably demonstrated in the past." -- Richard Steer, Slightly Mad Studios
    The following 5 users likes this Post: cluck, cpcdem, JasonSandwich, Konan, morpwr