Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve coughed up some game numbers...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore23 View Post
    We knew when PCARS hit 1 million and 2 million sales

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/project-ca...ldwide-1504702

https://www.slightlymadstudios.com/p...ion-units-sold

Once PCARS 2 hits 1 million wel hear about it.
    I don't think we will. When PC1 hit 1 million sales on all platforms, Steamspy indicated 160,000 sales on PC. I find it hard to believe that when PC2 has hit 265,000 sales on PC that sales on all platforms have not already exceeded 1 million.

Kart Driver
    Looks like the days of the huge complicated sim with zillions cars, zillions tracks, zillions features and adequate production values (read: expensive) in a single gigantic package supposed to cater from casuals to hardcore is over.
    Unless you are Forza or GT (simcade appealing to masses with insane budgets and production values), I do not see how it can be economically viable. Proper sims (including PC2) will always remain niche compare to these.
    My bet is that we'll see newer sims focusing in specific series (this is already initiated by ACC) and paid tracks/circuits (that's what rFactor is doing among others).
    Last edited by bubbleguuum; 07-07-2018 at 18:11.
    The following user likes this Post: sas5320

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleguuum View Post
    Looks like the days of the huge complicated sim with zillions cars, zillions tracks, zillions features and adequate production values (read: expensive) in a single gigantic package supposed to cater from casuals to hardcore is over.
    Unless you are Forza or GT (simcade appealing to masses with insane budgets and production values), I do not see how it can be economically viable. Proper sims (including PC2) will always remain niche compare to these.
    My bet is that we'll see newer sims focusing in specific series (this is already initiated by ACC) and paid tracks/circuits (that's what rFactor is doing among others).
    And even Forza and GT are struggling. Games like Forza Horizon seem to be the new thing. SIMs will continue to be niche, not sure what the business model will be like or what SMS will do in the future though. Look at AC and Kunos. They are going single class using most assets they already have.
    Xbox One X!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    While you may well be right about the demise of the 1000 car racing game, Kunos are a much smaller development team than SMS let alone Turn 10 or Polyphony. They are getting to know a new game engine and have limited experience of day/night, dynamic tracks and wet weather. Concentrating on GT3 for ACC makes sense. AC has an impressive car rosta and an OK track rosta but they were built up over several years.

Although Kunos have previously downplayed the importance of on-line racing, with the success of iRacing and Gran Turismo also moving to scheduled races with ranking, it seems they are changing their mind with ACC. Concentrating all your on-line players on one class of car should make ranked scheduled on-line races feasible.

Platform
    PS4
    I much prefer Pcars 2 than Pcars1 actually. To me it just keeps getting better and better.
    I like Pcars 2 so much I don't even play GTsports although I have it from inception. It's just on the side there.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
    I don't think we will. When PC1 hit 1 million sales on all platforms, Steamspy indicated 160,000 sales on PC. I find it hard to believe that when PC2 has hit 265,000 sales on PC that sales on all platforms have not already exceeded 1 million.
    Its not 265k sales though.

Plus the PS4 version sold incredibly well way more than PC and Xbox...this time it was up against GT
    A TV, Wheel, Pedals & Game.
    The following user likes this Post: Mad LL

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Console is the thing that brings food on the table. Not Steam sales. It was so with PCARS1 and I don't see why it would differ with PCARS2. We are talking about sale numbers five to ten times more for consoles against PC for PCARS1, and I don't think that the situation has changed.

It may be that PCARS2 hasn't sold as much on consoles initially compared to first one, having been released at the same time with Forza and GT Sport. However, those games have been measured already and hype is out of their sails; both gamers and sim racers simply crave more than what they have to offer. PCARS2 does exactly that, so I expect long tail in sales on the consoles. Think about it; PCARS2 can sell all the way until next big car game Forza and GT on both consoles.
    Admittedly ACC may disrupt this logic a bit, but just a bit, as its roster is too small for everyone to feel content with.

Regarding 1000 cars games and Polyphony changing its tune with GT Sport; Have they really? We've seen this before; GT Academy and GT Prologue did not differ that much from GT Sport. I'd assume that Polyphony will release a fully fledged Gran Turismo game when it is ready, and Sony has infinite pockets to make that happen as long as they see it as a way to sell a big bunch of consoles along with it.
    It just takes incredibly long time to make, just like it last time did, so it is just natural to expand Academy / Prologue line multiplayer a notch, and use the next GT game assets there to promote the series.
    Intel i7-6900K 3.2@3.7 GHz | Asus X99-A USB3.1 | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia RTX 2080ti | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | SST Lightning H-shifter | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4
    The following user likes this Post: JasonSandwich

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    ACC is PC only. Crazy decison as if it were PS4 only it would sell much more.
    A TV, Wheel, Pedals & Game.

Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the article Scott.

pCARS1 SteamSpy estimates for the same period (mid Feb '16) were around 350K.

Despite the sequel being a better game IMO, I would first attribute the drop to the curiosity factor being gone the second time around. I also think consoles sales were hit further because of the much less favorable launch window (hard to share the cake with GT Sport and Forza 7).
    Last edited by Mad LL; 07-07-2018 at 23:07.
    Core i5 2500K | GeForce GTX 970 (387.92 drivers) | 8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 | SB Audigy 4 | Asus P8P67-LE | Crucial MX100 512GB SSD + Toshiba 3 TB & Seagate 2TB HDD | Iiyama 24" B2409HDS (1920x1080) | Windows 7 x64 | Logitech G27
    Nitro Stunt Racing

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Number of cars & tracks is relative, if SMS were to count each livery as a different car like GT does PCars would have 1000+ cars, if SMS were to count night/wet versions of each track as different tracks like Forza does PCars would have hundreds of track layouts. Personally I'm more interested in having different car classes that are interesting to drive than having hundreds of boring cars I'll never use.

As for sales numbers we have to take into account PCars2 has been out for less than 1 year and PCars1 GOTY has been on sale for really cheap several times iirc. Once all of PCars2' DLC is released and the price goes down I'm sure sales will increase.