Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Valve coughed up some game numbers...

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Also another point is that for PC1 some percentage of sales money was given back to people who funded the development, while PC2 is home-financed. I have no idea how much this percentage was, but if it was high enough, then it means that PC2 could end up being even more profitable than PC1 for SMS, even with less sales. Which is of course a very good thing as it could finance further development, fixes etc.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: JasonSandwich, roddypoddy

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad LL View Post
    Thanks for the article Scott.

pCARS1 SteamSpy estimates for the same period (mid Feb '16) were around 350K.

Despite the sequel being a better game IMO, I would first attribute the drop to the curiosity factor being gone the second time around. I also think consoles sales were hit further because of the much less favorable launch window (hard to share the cake with GT Sport and Forza 7).
    Thanks for posting the steamspy chart. Another possible factor to add to the list could be price. Your chart reminded me that PC1 was $50 while PC2 is $60. When you consider the extra content the price seems fair but a 20% increase surely can't have boosted sales, especially with AC being a fraction of the price.
    Last edited by David Wright; 08-07-2018 at 07:10.
    The following user likes this Post: Mad LL

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Also another point is that for PC1 some percentage of sales money was given back to people who funded the development, while PC2 is home-financed. I have no idea how much this percentage was, but if it was high enough, then it means that PC2 could end up being even more profitable than PC1 for SMS, even with less sales. Which is of course a very good thing as it could finance further development, fixes etc.
    Great news, As long as PCARS 2 is profitable and SMS can do more games im happy.
    A TV, Wheel, Pedals & Game.
    The following user likes this Post: rocho

Superkart Pilot
    I do get the impression the game was rushed by the publisher (not blaming the developers) and key people were lost during the transition, but I can only speculate since I'm not part of WMD or the dev-team.
    The following user likes this Post: sas5320

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Raklodder View Post
    I do get the impression the game was rushed by the publisher (not blaming the developers) and key people were lost during the transition, but I can only speculate since I'm not part of WMD or the dev-team.
    I don't recall anyone leaving SMS during development, but I do remember a release date of September 22nd was leaked, and they decided to aim for that day.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore23 View Post
    Gamers are fickle these days and are not so easy at pleasing than they were in the 90s and 00's.
    You don't even need to be "frickle" to experience glaring, obvious and fundamental bugs of PCars 1 and 2. Part one has been an applicable warning sign to its successor - unfortunately.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: CodeCmdr, OperatorWay

Platform
    PC
    I had posted this before, as this topic has come up more than once....

I'm not surprised to see fewer sales. PC1 was a Mindcraft.. i.e. no one expected it to sell the way it did. However, a lot of sales were because people expected something that it wasn't:

• It wasn't a "grinding" game where you grinded to get money to upgrade cars.
    • It wasn't a car collecting game with 600 cars (with 200 of the same but slightly different versions of the same car)
    • It wasn't Burnout where you could just go balls out all the time

People now know what it isn't and they likely won't get those buyers back. However, it is converting a lot of people who never gave PC1 a chance. Those won't make up for the ones that want grinding and collecting though so I'm not surprised at all with the lower initial sales.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, JasonSandwich, Tank621

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Execution and word-of-mouth are permanent factors when it comes to sales figures and player counts.

I truly enjoy the game, but it's hard to ignore how rough the initial release.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: OperatorWay, sas5320

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I truly enjoy the game, but it's hard to ignore how rough the initial release.
    As someone who was moderating the forums during PC1, I can state (and backup what Ian's has said many times) the PC2 release was a lot smoother than the PC1 release.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, Tank621

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    As someone who was moderating the forums during PC1, I can state (and backup what Ian's has said many times) the PC2 release was a lot smoother than the PC1 release.
    Yikes, and I don't doubt it since that's usually the case for 1st iteration software. I actually never played PC1 and can only comment on PC2's release from the consumer perspective.