Thread: My motorsport high point

Platform
    PC

My motorsport high point

Is the late '90s.

F1 was quite cool as Ferrari weren't having it all their own way.
    Le Mans was great with the '98 GT1 cars, then the '99 race was iconic too.
    WRC was arguably at its modern day high point with the Subaru vs Mitsubishi battle at its zenith.
    BTCC was epic, and even I went to the night race at Snetterton (see it on youtube and play some TCC night races too).
    Super GT, or the All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship was pretty memorable. I'm sure you've all played Gran Turismo, and got used to seeing the Skyline's, Supra's and NSX's tearing round.

And stretching it a bit, 2000 saw a return of DTM with the Astra, C Class and TT fight it out.

Anything else to add?
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce
    complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Tank621, VelvetTorpedo

Platform
    PC
    My motorsport high point was the early 90s.

The end of Group C and GTP racing. The greatest super touring car racing of all time. F1 had Senna and a very young Schumacher. Indycar hadn't split yet and was incredible.

Street Luge was still a sport in the X-Games

Glorious times, the early 90s.
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

Gaming System ASUS FX502VM Gaming Laptop
    7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    1TB WD Passport Backup HDD
    Wheels: Fanatec GT3 RS V2 (RIP) Logitech Driving Force GT (RIP)
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Edition
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Sony Dualshock 3

SteamID:Shin321
    The following user likes this Post: MaximusN

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by balderz002 View Post
    Is the late '90s.

F1 was quite cool as Ferrari weren't having it all their own way.
    Le Mans was great with the '98 GT1 cars, then the '99 race was iconic too.
    WRC was arguably at its modern day high point with the Subaru vs Mitsubishi battle at its zenith.
    BTCC was epic, and even I went to the night race at Snetterton (see it on youtube and play some TCC night races too).
    Super GT, or the All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship was pretty memorable. I'm sure you've all played Gran Turismo, and got used to seeing the Skyline's, Supra's and NSX's tearing round.

And stretching it a bit, 2000 saw a return of DTM with the Astra, C Class and TT fight it out.

Anything else to add?
    I'd even say early 90's when there still was group C which was(IMHO) cooler than F1. I actually only started watching F1 because it practically got killed off(which was probably the whole plan in the first place). DTM pre 93 was also a lot more fun because they were closer to roadcars and it got even worse when it turned ITC. I basically stopped watching all except F1 mid 90's . And that hasn't changed until this day.
    Let's change the world today with a whisper
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive
    /// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)

Platform
    XBOX1
    I personally believe that the greatest era of Motorsport was the period between 1966 to 1976

Think about it, Can Am, the last iconic years of the pre wing F1 cars followed by the perhaps equally magnificent early wing cars, Ford Vs Ferrari at Le Mans, the 'Battle of the Titans', Graham achieving the Triple Crown and finally finishing off what can only be described as one of (if not) the greatest F1 rivalries of all time with Hunt Vs Lauda

As someone born at the end of the 90s and grew up with a declining F1 and BTCC (Thankfully BTCC has been looking to be on the up the last few years though) which were in my early motorsport veiwing years pretty much all I watched I can say I certainly wished I experienced the motosport of old

Actually part of my love of the Indycar series these days is probably because of their lack of power steering etc and watching the drivers wrestling with the wheel reminds me of all those videos of drivers of old

In terms of what I saw irl (not the race series ) apart from a few trips to Brands Hatch it was the 1/4 mile oval of Arena Essex where I grew up watching racing, sure the rather savage (and sadly declining) sport of banger racing is a stark contrast to the civilised racing we all know and love. Despite it giving me a rather sadistic enjoyment out of watching cars becoming twisted heaps of metal, it is probably where my love of motorsport really beagan

In my era of being a fan I think, and I honestly mean this, we are probably in the best racing years of my lifetime, sure F1 is a shadow of what it used to be and NASCAR is losing fans at an unprecedented rate but consider that BTCC is on rise again, IMSA is in a new golden era, Indycar is growing incredibly rapidly and is proving incredibly competitive and the Supercars championship is providing some of the most exciting races in all of motorsport, add to that this fanatstic era of GT racing with Super GT and Blancpain providing some of the best racong on the planet and you must admit whilst the sport as whole is declining in the number of fans we are seeing sone amazing racing
    Car Photos Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...rs-you-spotted
    Tank Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nk-s-Tank-talk
    Xbox Gamertag: tankbuster621
    Steam: Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank621 View Post

Think about it, Can Am, the last iconic years of the pre wing F1 cars followed by the perhaps equally magnificent early wing cars, Ford Vs Ferrari at Le Mans, the 'Battle of the Titans', Graham achieving the Triple Crown and finally finishing off what can only be described as one of (if not) the greatest F1 rivalries of all time with Hunt Vs Lauda

As someone born at the end of the 90s and grew up with a declining F1 and BTCC (Thankfully BTCC has been looking to be on the up the last few years though) which were in my early motorsport veiwing years pretty much all I watched I can say I certainly wished I experienced the motosport of old
    It's easy to say this, but the fact is the ratio of "Good races" was very small in these years. Usually a car would win by heaps of laps. If you weren't into keeping lapcharts yourself or something else to occupy your time during a race you'd be bored pretty senseless with these old races. The cars were glorious and made glorious sounds, but the best way to witness them racing is probably in modern vintage competitions where even though they aren't pushing 10/10ths a lot of the times, the margins of victory are in the seconds and minutes, not in the laps or hours.

People used to be more excited about fast cars going fast than they were about fast cars going fast in close proximity to each other. The only thing I found I enjoyed out of the races of these eras (having gone back and watched quite a few) was the respect for the bravery of the drivers. Not so much a nostalgic want to be in this era to see these races. They didn't really 'grab' me in the way modern motorsport has.

Of course competition nowadays is a little too stale and formulaic for me. I think you're right that its the most exciting time to be a motorsports fan. Especially if you're a fan of sportscar racing or american/japanese open wheel racing (Super Formula Go!)
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

Gaming System ASUS FX502VM Gaming Laptop
    7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    1TB WD Passport Backup HDD
    Wheels: Fanatec GT3 RS V2 (RIP) Logitech Driving Force GT (RIP)
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Edition
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Sony Dualshock 3

SteamID:Shin321
    The following user likes this Post: Tank621

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    As I wasn't alive in the time periods you guys have said I am going to have to go for now,or maybe more precisely a couple of years ago as I believe the sport is declining slightly again.

Platform
    PS4
    Late 90’s early 00’s.
    I’d just discovered Motorsport, watching the Albert Park GP the first time in 97 when Martin Brundle wrecked his Jordan then jogged back to the pits for a quick OK from the doc and jumped into the spare for a restart (or was that 98?).

Mark Webber did a parade lap in the CLK at Albert Park too. Broad daylight but the glowing brake discs had me stunned.

Then there was the noise of the V10 F1s (that I could hear from the hills in Chadstone) and races were shown on free tv.

On my final year of high school I went to the rmit open day and saw their formula sae car, which immediately convinced me to study engineering.
    G29 FFB RAW 95-35-5-5

What tire compound were you using?
    What was your tire pressure?
    What was the track and tire temperatures?
    The following 2 users likes this Post: balderz002, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    I'd even forgotten to mention two wheeled motorsports! Moto GP was still stinking out the world with 2 stroke 500cc machines, and WSBK was epic bikes like the 916, ZX7R, SRAD 750 GSXR......... All bikes that adourned my bedroom wall!
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce
    complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300