Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best VR experience

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Best VR experience

I just have to get this off my chest: PCars 2 in VR is a blast.

At the moment, I'm basically just doing the same race over and over again (6 laps Nordschleife, 20x time progression, 20x weather progression, 3 weather slots clear/overcast and 1 random weather slot for the occasional bit of heavy fog or light rain, in any car from the late 60s/early 70s I feel like driving at the moment), and it's an incredible experience. Everything looks so real and beautiful, and the immersion with a halfway decent playseat rig is immense - the feeling of driving under a starlit sky in the middle of the night, then suddenly hearing the race engineer telling me "we have some wet weather coming up" and having to look out for puddles in the darkness is absolutely great, and I really feel like I can feel the car moving around me just like I expect it to.

So today I tried that race with the good old 911 for the first time. With an unfamiliar car that seems to be a bit underpowered for its class, I was lagging behind the field and hopelessly falling behind on the first lap. Then I completely botched the exit from Brünnchen and ruined my poor Porsche's front suspension slamming into the guard rails. I was ready to rage quit and close the game, but then I took a deep breath, got up from my playseat while still wearing the Oculus headset (which sorta-kinda allows you to leave your car and look at it from the outside), just took in the view and had a smoke to calm down. A couple minutes later, I heard the deep rumbling of Mustang V8s in the distance, coming from somewhere down in the direction of Klostertal, with a bit of Nissan squealing mixed in. It felt like I could follow their sounds through every corner in the distance, and as they blazed past, their engine sound was positively deafening. When they sped off into the distance, again I felt like hearing every single turn and knowing exactly where each car was.

10/10, would play again. Positional audio in this game is absolutely stunning, especially considering we don't even notice most of the time because we can't even hear it over the sound of our own engine. Things like this really show the developers' dedication to detail.

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    I remember the first time I stood up with my Rift still on , it was night in the rain at LeMans , I was in the GT3 RS and I stood behind it and was pretty amazed at the reflections and raindrops in the puddles . I think I stood there for about 2 laps as the Ai drive past , again loving their headlight reflections stretching along the wet track surface showing up in the puddles .
    I started reving the engine to get backfires and the way it lit the area around was really nice .

Platform
    PC
    I literally only fire up the non-VR version, when I need to record a race replay. VR is SO awesome. It doesn’t make me any faster, but the immersion(and therefore, fun) factor is so great, I can’t play in ‘pancake’ mode anymore.

I wish we could cycle through the Spectator stands, when viewing replays in Trackside VR mode, instead of only being stuck to the one position at the start/finish.
    Last edited by Gregz0r; 10-07-2018 at 10:29.
    Twitter: GregzVR
    i7-7700K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregz0r View Post
    I literally only fire up the non-VR version, when I need to record a race replay. VR is SO awesome. It doesn’t make me any faster, but the immersion(and therefore, fun) factor is so great, I can’t play in ‘pancake’ mode anymore.

I wish we could cycle through the Spectator stands, when viewing replays in Trackside VR mode, instead of only being stuck to the one position at the start/finish.
    Why can’t you record a session while in VR? I always do this.

SMS should take a look at the replay mode in R3E.. it would be a blast to have such mode in Pcars.
    Steam: Olijke Poffer CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming 11 GB | Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 2550x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite pedals with loadcell brake & TH8A Shifter| Misc: Oculus Rift , Playseat Evolution , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, BrainsBush

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC

You can - use the +/- keys on the keyboard to move around the track.
    System: Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX1070 (laptop) 8GB | 250GB M.2 + 960GB SSD + 2TB HDD| Win10 Home 64bit | Xbox 360 Controller | Oculus Rift CV1
    The following 8 users likes this Post: BigDad, BrainsBush, Fight-Test, Gav88888, Mad Al, MrTulip, rocho, roddypoddy

Banned
    Platform
    PC

As already stated , use the + and - on the numpad to cycle through the fixed cameras in VR replays ! Its actually not bad .

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Indeed a lot of fun. And thanks to the AI for helping me passing them

PC: Omen i7-1080ti, OculusCV1, 43" 4K screen and Optoma 1080p beamer
    NextLevelRacing GT Ultimate v2 & V3 motion platform + Fanatec CSL Elite & LC pedals, Fanatec SQ1.5 H shifter

PS4Pro, T300GTE, T3PA, 599xx wheel / F1 rim, TH8A shifter
    The following 2 users likes this Post: rocho, roddypoddy

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BrainsBush View Post
    Indeed a lot of fun. And thanks to the AI for helping me passing them

Austin Powers isn’t half bad is he?
    i7 7700k | Kraken X62 rev.2 | G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz 16gb | Asus Z270 F Strix | Asus ROG 1080 ti | Corsair RM1000x | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Glass | Asus ROG PG278QR 27” 2560x1440 | Logitech G920 | Oculus Rift |
    The following user likes this Post: BrainsBush

Platform
    PC
    As Gregz0r says, My experience with the Oculus Rift means that I have never played PC2 in any other way. The immersion, the level of detail both inside and outside the car are amazing. I remember the first time I used them, being on the grid before starting and going down (leaving my car seat), standing next to the car and being able to contemplate both mine and the rest of the cars on the grid, the public at the steps and the landscape in general, and feel that everything was happening so vividly, I show them in the same way to every friend or family member who comes to visit me. It is simply incredible.
    Maybe, (as an improvement) I would like that at some point you can see with a better resolution (1920x1080) but I understand that you can get to consume many PC resources. Surely they must be working on it.
    The following user likes this Post: Gregz0r

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    PC2 is what made me go hardcore no VR = no buy for racing games. I can't go back to a pancake after experiencing a well done VR title.
    The following 7 users likes this Post: BigDad, bporion, EV3RY, Gregz0r, John Hargreaves, morpwr, rocho