Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best VR experience

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I think its a given VR is a game changer in car sims. I only play in VR now (dirt rally i play on a tv coz it makes me sick in vr!). It really is how its meant to be played. Plus the free bonus it almost feels like your wearing a lid, especially in longer races when it starts to get hot/sweaty.

Its just a shame the resolution is so poor. And also the hardware requirement, im on a 1070 @ 2065mhz and it really struggles at relativly low detail settings. Wish nvidea would hurry up and release pascal mk2 and/or give us this price drop on the current Ti's!
    driving rig: 6700k at 4.5ghz | ASRock K6 Z170 | 1070 at 2065mhz | Samsung 950 pro 256, sandisk ultra 480 | Gskill 16gb 3000mhz | GT Omega Pro, Cobra imola seat | Fanatec v2.5 base, Elite LC pedals, Shifter | Oculus Rift
    PC2: E300VKB
    Real: Seat Leon Cupra 280 @ 340ish bhp.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, morpwr

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    To add to what everyone else has said, I feel like PCars2 has the most complete VR experience. I haven't tried all the available racing games with VR, but so far with Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, and iRacing, it comes out way on top.

I start the game and that's it. Everything is there in VR, I can use my wheel to navigate the menus, and I can do pretty much anything I need to do without taking off the HMD or having to switch to my oculus home or something. Not to mention, my wheel is automatically detected and setup, and is totally configurable without needing a mouse or keyboard. Setups are maybe the only time I have to peek out from under my helmet to find my keyboard for the save name.

I switched to PC from xbox specifically for pcars2 in VR, but I figured I'd try out the other contenders with the steam sale. If I hadn't used PCars2 first, maybe it wouldn't have stood out, but it was such a great first experience. Obviously the others weren't designed for VR and had it added later which explains why they are like this, but it probably makes a difference to whether or not a new user is going to return it before they've played 2 hours.
    The following user likes this Post: rocho

Platform
    PC
    Yeah you can record race footage in VR from the track cams - here’s the proof (it was my first try and obviously needs some work) - https://youtu.be/hiiBElCUQT0
    https://rwb-racing.enjin.com/forum --- https://discord.gg/MmtTXPA --- Active League - Renault RS01 Supercup

i5 8600K @ 4.8GHz \ 1080Ti \ 16GB RAM \ SSD's \ Sim-Plicity 20Nm OSW \ Fanatec Formula Black Rim USB Converted \ Fanatec v3 Pedals
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Gregz0r, Olijke Poffer, roddypoddy

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by g.stew View Post

I switched to PC from xbox specifically for pcars2 in VR.
    Yep I did the same, spent a fortune on a PC with Rift and a playtseat just to play PC2 in VR seems a bit crazy, but I was seriously fed up of using my Xbox One with all the issues that come with it and was considering a XB1X, but so glad I went PC, and I have to say I love it, despite the many bugs with the game but I always play PC2 over AC, R3E etc.

Looking forward to ACC as it looks a nice step up over AC, but not sure the longevity is there being Blancpain GT3 only and likely only 10-12 tracks... So PC2 will still be a staple for me I just wish some of the bugs would be fixed making it a better experience, but there is always hope with each new patch...

I haven't actually played any non VR games since getting VR.
    Last edited by Gav88888; 11-07-2018 at 09:20.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, John Hargreaves, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav88888 View Post
    Yep I did the same, spent a fortune on a PC with Rift and a playtseat just to play PC2 in VR seems a bit crazy, but I was seriously fed up of using my Xbox One with all the issues that come with it and was considering a XB1X, but so glad I went PC, and I have to say I love it, despite the many bugs with the game but I always play PC2 over AC, R3E etc.

Looking forward to ACC as it looks a nice step up over AC, but not sure the longevity is there being Blancpain GT3 only and likely only 10-12 tracks... So PC2 will still be a staple for me I just wish some of the bugs would be fixed making it a better experience, but there is always hope with each new patch...

Same over here. A fortune spend to play Pcars in VR on the PC. I don’t play 2D games anymore. I’m spoiled..
    Steam: Olijke Poffer CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming 11 GB | Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 2550x1440 | Controller:Thrustmaster T150 Pro with brake mod & TH8A Shifter| Misc: Oculus Rift , Playseat Challenge, Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: BigDad, bporion, Fight-Test, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav88888 View Post

Join the club ! The money just keeps flooding out once you have the PC VR bug
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz(So Far!)/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / Formula Carbon / CS Universal Hub/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift / :
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BrainsBush, morpwr

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
    Join the club ! The money just keeps flooding out once you have the PC VR bug
    You are right about the money but its worth it in every way. If this was a few years ago I might of went the much more expensive triple monitor route which would of really cost me. I have ventured out some lately on other sim titles and PC2 really holds up so well in VR in comparison. I actually wouldn't put it first but its almost even and with the ease of use and setup its most user friendly and really shines in different lighting and weather situations.

I can actually get better clarity and sharpness out of rf2 and iRacing but I think this is because they have simple graphics compared to PC2. Its kinda the opposite from what you would think. rf2 has zero texture shimmer which is amazing in itself and I'm able to just run for hours with no stress on the mind and eyes. Pcars 2 is right there with it with very little texture issues for me but I know some guys have alot of probs with it but it's smooth as silk and little issue for me. iRacing is the sharpest by far but gotta change these files https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMq_O_wQEc. You will think you are using new tech it makes is so clear but it does have more texture issues than Pcars2 and rf2. Fence flickers and some objects outside of track but its not bad. Its iRacing though and the only car I have even slightly enjoyed is the Porsche GTE which is fantastic but most feel like they have no tire feedback which makes the game pretty uninspiring to drive. This part of the sim is pretty bad but the tracks are amazing looking especially after you make those vr changes which will blow your mind on how clear it makes it (only in game, menus still look somewhat fuzzy).

Raceroom shouldn't be left out as it's really good, just struggling with lots of texture shimmer on fences. Might have to wait for the DX11 update or the switch to unreal engine before it's gone though. Its really just the track surroundings that have issues, no shimmer or flicker on cars or track but what does shimmer really wears on the eyes and mind after a while. The tracks and cars look really good though and and also has probably the best feeling of space in regard to car and track size and their relevance to each other. Great weight to the cars which helps the VR sensations as I find myself leaning halfway out my chair in corners.

Where PC2 is a difference maker is I don't have to use any outside 3rd party apps to have my telemetry and widgets in VR. It's really has a ease of use and setup with all the bells and whistles out of the box that makes Pcars such a nice and clean VR game especially as your first VR racing game which is was for me. I also must say that I have had to really unlearn some bad driving habits from PCars 2 in regard to the on track side especially when driving near the limit, trail braking and threshold inputs but that is a different story for another day.

Im not qualified to comment on AC accurately as I only played for about 20 hours and its just not for me but the VR did seem very good and well optimized. I had just got my Oculus so I sure it could be even better with some tinkering but the driving in AC in regard to modern race cars just wasn't realistic feeling for me. It had good fun factor though.

I'm sure alot of this is related to the hardware and settings also so we won't all agree so just take this as one guys opinion.
    CPU: Intel i7 7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 (4.0) GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 2400 Mhz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX H270F Gaming LGA | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | ISSD: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | VR: Oculus Rift | Controller: Fanatec v2.5 w/ Formula Rim (Creosim Paddles) & V3 Pedals| RIG: 4Play 80/20 Custom | MISC: Hyper X Headset & Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The iracing sharpening settings are basically the same thing as the sharpening tool in this game. Same basic field names and everything. Makes a huge difference to clarity in pcars and in iracing.

If you haven't tried irFFB in iracing, it might make a difference to how it feels. It uses suspension telemetry for the FFB and makes a huge difference to how it feels.

If you haven't used the sharpening tool in pcars2, you should try that. It looks just as good as the sharpening in iracing to me.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Fight-Test View Post
    iRacing is the sharpest by far but gotta change these files https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMq_O_wQEc.
    I have never tried VR myself, but when i see videos like that I am always wondering, isn't it bothering you guys racing in VR with such low gfx quality that iRacing has? I mean isn't it very distracting seeing trees like that which are so fake visually, having textures of very low resolution, the general gfx quality, isn't it very immersion breaking?

It does not look good to me in a monitor, but anyway for me already the monitor itself is immersion breaking so I could probably cope with it, but when you use VR, and the whole world you see is just that, doesn't it make you feel really strange? Or is it that due to the low resolution of VR, you actually can't notice issues like that? And I am not talking only about iRacing, when I see videos also of rF2 I think the exact same thing again...

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    I have never tried VR myself, but when i see videos like that I am always wondering, isn't it bothering you guys racing in VR with such low gfx quality that iRacing has? I mean isn't it very distracting seeing trees like that which are so fake visually, having textures of very low resolution, the general gfx quality, isn't it very immersion breaking?

It does not look good to me in a monitor, but anyway for me already the monitor itself is immersion breaking so I could probably cope with it, but when you use VR, and the whole world you see is just that, doesn't it make you feel really strange? Or is it that due to the low resolution of VR, you actually can't notice issues like that? And I am not talking only about iRacing, when I see videos also of rF2 I think the exact same thing again...
    If you would have tried VR you would not wrote this post.
    VR is freaking awesome and immersive. Of course would we love to see better GFX but you soon don’t notice the lower GFX anymore. It is so immersive. Every cockpit game should be played in VR. You only can unserstand this after you experienced this yourself..
    Steam: Olijke Poffer CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming 11 GB | Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 2550x1440 | Controller:Thrustmaster T150 Pro with brake mod & TH8A Shifter| Misc: Oculus Rift , Playseat Challenge, Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: bporion, morpwr, Vic Flange