Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best VR experience

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Olijke Poffer View Post
    If you would have tried VR you would not wrote this post.
    VR is freaking awesome and immersive. Of course would we love to see better GFX but you soon don’t notice the lower GFX anymore. It is so immersive. Every cockpit game should be played in VR. You only can unserstand this after you experienced this yourself..
    Maybe you misunderstood me, because for example for PCARS 2,or AC or RRE I have no doubts, the gfx in the screen version of those titles are from very good to good enough, so I have no doubts that they will be awesome in VR. But I can't see how I could enjoy what I currently see on screen in some other titles, if I had to watch it in VR...
    The following user likes this Post: Olijke Poffer

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    I have never tried VR myself, but when i see videos like that I am always wondering, isn't it bothering you guys racing in VR with such low gfx quality that iRacing has? I mean isn't it very distracting seeing trees like that which are so fake visually, having textures of very low resolution, the general gfx quality, isn't it very immersion breaking?

It does not look good to me in a monitor, but anyway for me already the monitor itself is immersion breaking so I could probably cope with it, but when you use VR, and the whole world you see is just that, doesn't it make you feel really strange? Or is it that due to the low resolution of VR, you actually can't notice issues like that? And I am not talking only about iRacing, when I see videos also of rF2 I think the exact same thing again...
    No, the awe of actually "being there" overrides quite a lot low resolution textures and low polycount in the mind. I've played awfully lot ages old Richard Burns Rally in VR, and the immersion is not any less because of early 2000 graphics.
    Intel i7-6900K 3.2@4.4 GHz | Asus X99-A USB3.1 | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia Titan X (Pascal) | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | SST Lightning H-shifter | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTulip View Post
    No, the awe of actually "being there" overrides quite a lot low resolution textures and low polycount in the mind. I've played awfully lot ages old Richard Burns Rally in VR, and the immersion is not any less because of early 2000 graphics.
    Ah OK, thanks, I suspected it is probably something like that. Can't imagine how that works though, indeed need to feel it myself to understand it

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I have used the sharpening in pcars also and its fantastic along with xy fix in the files which helped the fuzziness a lot. Was a big help when it came out as I just couldn't get pcars clear enough for long stints. Those specific changes in the video to iRacing made a huge difference for me in sharpness much more than pcars but pcars started off better as iracing wasn't good outta box. I might need to try some more variables in pcars to see if I can get it better but I can read signs with no jaggies and completely clear up to 200 yards out. That I can't get in any of the other games but on the flip side it looks pretty basic in over all graphics in comparison to others while still having some texture flicker. I think the only reason that iracing can look as good as it does in VR compared to Pcars which is not in the ball park graphically is because of the hardware. It just caps them all at a point. VR has decreasing steps of clarity as you get further out. If you are at the 400 marker you can see 300 no prob, 200 is pretty fuzzy and you can half make it out and 100 is just a board and maybe you see a fuzzy blob on it where 100 will be as you get closer. Now imagine the next gen VR with the existing games, iracing will plateau quickly while Pcars would be just amazing I would imagine. The rich colors, shadows, quality of cars and weather would just make it so immersive. Right now this tech you have to battle not only which game I like the most in VR but which game I can also play comfortably for your eyes. With newer tech I'm sure we will be freed of that concern to a great extent.

I agree with Tulip that the immersion overrides the poor graphics. Iracing is weird though, the tracks are very nice with lots of details but the track surroundings seem to be less quality and sometimes real bland. The things that take me out of immersion are texture flickering which at first doesn't bother me but after having the head set on a while it starts to fatigue your eyes which can lead to you trying to focus to much and then its not a relaxing endeavor anymore. Pop ins can really draw your attention away but have always been fixable with some type of change to settings. Fuzziness was a issue with pcars at the start and it was tough for long sessions, they fixed this all the games seem to be pretty good at this now. Also rf2 and Raceroom do not have lock to horizon. So this didn't bother me in Raceroom but rf2 was impossible to drive. I found a fix though and its good now but that was big immersion killer. That is probably per user though. VR in all the games has a cryptic nature too them still but PCars would be my first recommendation to any new to VR or sim racing as it makes it very easy to do both with lots of intuitive options. It really helps to make you a VR believer for sim racing. I can't race without it now.
    CPU: Intel i7 7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 (4.0) GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 2400 Mhz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX H270F Gaming LGA | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | ISSD: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | VR: Oculus Rift | Controller: Fanatec v2.5 w/ Formula Rim (Creosim Paddles) & V3 Pedals| RIG: 4Play 80/20 Custom | MISC: Hyper X Headset & Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Atak Kat, cpcdem

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Ah OK, thanks, I suspected it is probably something like that. Can't imagine how that works though, indeed need to feel it myself to understand it
    You really do! I read the same comments from everyone but nothing really conveys how cool it is.

I keep having new experiences like driving in the rain, or coming around a corner and getting the sun in my eyes.

No matter what wheel and pedals you have, it will feel like the car you are driving. I even took off my headset once to see my wheel mount had shifted sideways, but I had no clue because it looked and felt normal in game.

Every single time I get in a car I spend minutes looking all around me, reading the guages and button labels, reading the part numbers on the equipment, etc.

Any time I crash, I spend a few minutes looking at everything around me. Once I ran out of gas on vintage Le mans right before the last chicane next to the crowd. I stood up from the car to start looking around the spectators and smashed straight into my dresser trying to walk around.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Atak Kat, cpcdem, Fight-Test, satco1066, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    TL/DR: opinion: it's a fantastic technology and you can really see it's potential. But it's still early, and probably better to wait for another generation. Depending on you disposable income, or situation, of course.

Where I live there is a place you can go to do VR racing in PC2. They use Rseat rigs, Fanatec all around, a motion rig (not sure which one, but it's the one that mounts undertake rig sorta like a pedestal), and HTC Vive. 2 identical systems, so you can either race on your own, or head-to-head with the other person. The guys are pretty good and will let you choose almost anything in the game (car, track, weather, AI strength and number, etc, etc). I've gone twice now, and each time did about 3 races (5 min longish)
    - personally, I really hated the motion rig. It felt more like something just shaking you around than 'motion' simulation. I would even call it awful and distracting. There was not a proper correlation of the rig movement with the game. It might be just setup incorrectly, but what I tried was complete nonsense, considering those things are hugely expensive. The 2nd time I went, I asked them to turn off the seat movement, which they did. I found the entire experience so much more enjoyable and fun after it was turned off.
    - yes, the graphics is the first thing you notice. But it quickly becomes less important as you go on.
    - Personally, I got pretty hot and sweaty pretty fast. Longer sessions I don't know how people deal with that. Fans?
    - I was getting pretty queasy at the end of the 5 min sessions. But I think this was mostly due to the poor motion rig. The later sessions without motion rig were much better.
    - Although it's quite impressive, my experience actually convinced me NOT to buy it. I may change my mind eventually, but for now I'm convinced it's better to wait for another generation or step in the technology (whether it's the headsets, or the graphics card power, or whatever).

Side story, I found a very cheap used PSVR on local buy/sell sight (typical gift/used-once sort of ad) and bought that instead. It's a step lower quality I guess, but not so much. We have had a MOUNTAIN of fun with it on PSVR. Even the GTS VR racing is enough to satisfy those cravings every now and then (I wish the grid size was larger than 2, but ok). I hear it can somehow be setup with PC as well, so will try that in the coming months (someday).
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following user likes this Post: Fight-Test

Superkart Pilot
    The resolution really isn’t that bad in VR, only the group think says it is.

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    VR suck don't do it

Platform
    PC
    To be honest, the PSVR has a better view than the Rift. The screendoor effect is almost not noticeable with the PSVR.
    It also is more comfortable than the Rift. If Sony would develope a PC version of PSVR I would buy it.
    Nevertheless I have a great time with the Rift. Yesterday I played Moss again a nice 3D platform game with a mouse. With this kind of games you also know, 2D is old fashion. The moment you start the game you will be transferred from your room into the gameworld. You look at a kind of a maquette and steer your little mouse through the levels. You can peak behind corners, barrels etc etc. It is really my kind of gaming. VR rules big time.

Steam: Olijke Poffer CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 2550x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, Fanatec Mclaren GT3 rim, CSL Elite pedals & loadcell brake & TH8A Shifter| Misc: Oculus Rift , Playseat Evolution , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.
    The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Olijke Poffer View Post
    To be honest, the PSVR has a better view than the Rift. The screendoor effect is almost not noticeable with the PSVR.
    It also is more comfortable than the Rift. If Sony would develope a PC version of PSVR I would buy it.
    Nevertheless I have a great time with the Rift. Yesterday I played Moss again a nice 3D platform game with a mouse. With this kind of games you also know, 2D is old fashion. The moment you start the game you will be transferred from your room into the gameworld. You look at a kind of a maquette and steer your little mouse through the levels. You can peak behind corners, barrels etc etc. It is really my kind of gaming. VR rules big time.

Is it like the free Game we got with our Rifts , Lucky's tale ?