Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Logitech G29) Solution for missing driver settings in Logitech Gaming Software

Platform
    PC

(Logitech G29) Solution for missing driver settings in Logitech Gaming Software

Hello all,

I just bought a used but nearly brand new Logitech G29 in order to replace my old Driving Force GT. After days of fiddling (in LGS and ingame with FFB flavour and sliders) with the G29 I was nearly regretting the buy because I couldn't
    get it feel like i'm used to with the DFGT. FFB was very numb and undetailed, and I wasn't able to get anywhere near my old lap times and was simply wondering why it felt so bad.

At first, these were my driver (the "windows game controller", or also to be found in the old Logitech Profiler) settings that I have used for years in all sims (pC1, AC, iR, etcpp), only changed the "Overall FFB Strength" from 100% to 103-107%
    depending if the sim has a "minimum force" setting itself or not. This is to tighten center feel a bit.

Note these settings: overall FFB strength 100%, spring and damper effect at 0%.

So, after plugging in the G29, you cannot use the old Logitech Profiler anymore - that was used for DF Pro, DFGT, G25 and G27. So basically for a G29 you have to install the newest Logitech Gaming Software to set your wheel up. It was already
    installed on my system because of the G402 mouse - so I could just open it after plugging the G29's USB in.

Unfortunately, Logitech - for whatever reason - stripped down the settings choices you can make in LGS for the wheel and you are left with rudimentary options, like these:

There is no adjustment possible for the three things I had before. Only things you can set up are "Sensitivity", "Degrees Of Rotation" and the "Centering Spring" on/off (and the percentage from 0-100%). And a checkbox in another menu that
    allows the game to change ffb forces if ticked.
    The last couple of days I tried everything possible with the sliders ingame in all FFB flavours (and tried Jack's files and did my own custom FFB file) and had no luck getting a good feeling. Searching the web the only answers I could find were
    "yes, Logitech stripped the options for the G29" but no possible solution. But I didn't want to sell the wheel which itself is fine and go back to my old DFGT.
    So I searched my PC, all folders and hidden subfolders for anything Logitech related and opened every file I could find with Notepad++ but that didn't help much.

Then I went to the windows registry and found corresponding entries for both connected wheels (both are connected, I still use the pedal set of my old DFGT - just pulled the power cord off). These can be found in

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\Gaming Software\DriverSettings
    The first entry named "VID_046D&PID_C29A" is the one with the driver settings for my DFGT. You'll see all available options on the right and their value. FFB is on (Force Enabled "1"), Overall Strength is 105% (the value 10500 means 105%) and
    every other entry is off (center spring, spring and damper effects all set set to "0"). Fine.

Now I went into the second entry "VID_046D&PID_C29B" - which is the settings for the G29. You can see in the next picture how it was setup by default - DamperStrength, the SpringStrength and OverallStrength (FFB), the three missing settings in
    the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS) are there and are all set to 100% (10000=100%):

So, the only thing left do to ist just edit the entries and set them to 0. Just doubleclick on the entries "Damper Strength" and "SpringStrength" and change the hexadecimal values from "2710" to "0" (or you can switch to decimal and set it from 10000 to 0).
    Now it should look like that:

Spring and Damper effect known from the old Logitech profiler are now set to 0. (You may also edit the FFB overall strength a little bit up if you like as there is no min force setting in pC2, but remember to lower FFB volume ingame to compensate).
    Fire up the game and feel the difference!

There is now much more detailed front wheel feel, I can now feel the grip loss in wheel weight if applying too much brake force and locking front wheels while trailbraking in cars without ABS (911 RSR GTE for example) and everything is much clearer. No more numb,
    muffled, bland FFB that just feels weird. Wheel drag is also much much lower, you can now quickly catch slides if the rear steps out.

Try it out. I'm on FFB flavour "RAW" with 100-20-40-0 and it already feels quite good. Adjust FFB volume to your liking but avoid clipping, dont go too high. Tone as you like, FX also (dont like that, so I leave it off). Double check while on track in the telemetry screen
    that you are not clipping, whatever setting you end up with the ffb settings.

Note: I'm still on Windows 7 64bit, not sure if registry settings are similar on 8&10, but it should be.
    Might also be a solution for G920 Users on PC - I can't test it but I can imagine Logitech did the same stupid thing in LGS for that Wheel.

Greetings!
    Last edited by Sascha F.; 13-07-2018 at 17:45.
    i5-3570K @4,4GHz | Asrock Z77 Pro4 | 16GB DDR3-1600 | R9 290X @Morpheus | Win7 64bit | Asus Xonar DG | AOC Q3279VWF 31,5" WQHD 75Hz FreeSync | beQuiet L7 530W | Logitech G29
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Platform
    PC
    These are supposed to be configured and controlled by the games now which is why they aren't offered in the drivers any longer. Those are legacy settings for the old games that didn't have FFB settings (so you had to force spring and damper settings).
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    Fine, so they should be controlled by "the games", yes. But what if these games do not control it (or not correctly turm them off) or are just older and didn't have that function? This isn't just a solution for pCARS 2 alone.

Like I wrote, there's a day and night difference in pC2 between these settings on (=100%) and off, going from completely numb to lively and much more detailed. So it's another Logitech Problem. No, not Logitech. Another pCARS input problem. The DFGT loses calibration every second game session.

NO other Sims here (and I have them all; iRacing, AMS, AC, rF1, rF2, GTR2, GT Legends, Race07, GTR Evo, and some more, even F1 2017 or GTA5 with x360ce!!!) have EVER made any Problem (losing calibration or something like that) with the DFGT. The only sim with big Problems is pC2. I had described the problem earlier in this forums. Guess
    what the response was? It's not SMS fault, it's the logitech driver. Come on. Couldn't be more obvious if every other SW works right?

Now I went to the G29 and it's similar. You say pC2 should handle these settings - but obviously it does not, at least not correctly. And on top there is ALSO a Problem with pC2 and the G29 and losing calibration. The first day I had the wheel it worked having set 900 in LGS and calibrated accordingly in pC2. Two days later I have to set the DOR to 540 in LGS or the 911 RSR GTE isn't driveable because it now wants to use the full 900. A GTE car.

Honestly, I'm sick of it. And these "generic" answers. Please fix it. It's not the Logitech drivers.

EDIT: Not to forget: there was never a problem with DFGT losing calibration in pCARS 1, and I have been in WMD from the very beginning. So please, please stop trying to tell me it's Logitech's fault.
    Last edited by Sascha F.; 10-07-2018 at 14:34.
    i5-3570K @4,4GHz | Asrock Z77 Pro4 | 16GB DDR3-1600 | R9 290X @Morpheus | Win7 64bit | Asus Xonar DG | AOC Q3279VWF 31,5" WQHD 75Hz FreeSync | beQuiet L7 530W | Logitech G29

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha F. View Post
    It's not SMS fault, it's the logitech driver. Come on. Couldn't be more obvious if every other SW works right?
    There is a difference as to how the PC2 engine works. Most other sims just use controllers as generic USB devices (so drivers don't matter). This eliminates problems with the device drivers but doesn't allow full utilization of a controller (i.e. those paying more money for Fanatec wheels have them treated as if they bought something cheaper except for the "extra" functions like the RPM lights). The PC2 engine calls the manufacturer API's directly. This does allow PC2 to treat each wheel differently but can create support issues other titles don't have (which is what you have experienced).

Honestly, I'm sick of it. And these "generic" answers. Please fix it. It's not the Logitech drivers.
    Calm your tone. This is a warning.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    Well, okay. I just don't get it. There are no special features at Logitech wheels whatsoever. They are mainstream. Okay, maybe the shift lights on the G27 and G29 - but they are broken in pC2 anyway; they work but in all cars i've tested they are far off (way too early or way too late).

I can understand the wish to provide better functionality for Fanatec, DD and other wheels, but refuse to see any logical reason to go the same way for Logitech wheels. Which feature of the Logi wheels needs that way through API? Maybe it would have been better to
    stay with the "old" pcars 1 dinput method that never made any problems? I'd rather have the shift lights not working (if that is the cause) than ramming someone off the track in a serious league race who trained for 2 weeks because of input loss or calibration loss. That's not funny.

Platform
    PC
    Maybe it would have been better to
    stay with the "old" pcars 1 dinput method that never made any problems?
    PC1 is the same. This didn't change between PC1 and PC2.

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    Okay, so why did it work flawlessly in PC1? Never ever had any problem there from 2012-2017, this never changed with weekly builds in WMD or the final product and stayed stable with all patches. So it's obviously down to PC2 if the method is the same, wouldn't you agree?

Platform
    PC
    Okay, so why did it work flawlessly in PC1? Never ever had any problem there from 2012-2017, this never changed with weekly builds in WMD or the final product and stayed stable with all patches. So it's obviously down to PC2 if the method is the same, wouldn't you agree?
    Could be a one of many things... Could be an issue with a recent Windows update (many users have experienced problems with Windows 10). Could be a issue with an issue with a recent driver update (some G29 users reverted back to an older driver which seemed to address their issues).

Given the infinite combinations of PC hardware, it could be a lot of things. This is one of the reasons a lot of developers moved to developing only console titles since all users will have the exact same hardware.

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    I'm still on Windows 7 64-bit SP1. So, no Win 10 related issue.

A lot of Sim developers moved to consoles? 2.
    There's even a console dev who brought his title to the PC for the first time...

Anyway, I'm out of that discussion, it just does not help me much. I still hope it will be fixed somehow but I won't bet my money on it. Last thing I will try is using older LGS version.

The problem of the OP is still a valid one. One other member with a G29 of our sim community just tried my fix and instantly said "Wow, it really is much better!". So either the two functions (spring and damper) should have been switched off by PC2 by default and this is bugged,
    or it was just overlooked leaving all the G29/920 users in the dust with a dull FFB. Congrats to the testing team / QA...
    And sorry for the console guys that have no chance to fix it.

Now i'm quiet.

Platform
    PC
    A lot of Sim developers moved to consoles?
    Who said "sim developers"? I said "developers".

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips