Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making the switch from XBox.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Making the switch from XBox.

Hello everyone,

I think I'm going to make the switch to PC, but I need some help first. Mainly in picking a suitable PC. I've been doing lots of research over the last couple weeks both here and elsewhere, but I just seem to be confusing myself further. It's been years since I've researched PC's and their components, and at that time I was only ensuring it'd run Photoshop/Lightroom smoothly, which was mainly having enough RAM.

From my research it seems that the most important considerations for Sim Racing games are processor and GPU. Coincidentally, these are also the main components that make my head spin

So, what I want from the PC:
    • It will only be used for gaming.
    • I want to play in VR. *Not going for VR anymore*
    • I want to be able to record on track footage.
    • I want things to run smoothly.
    • I want something that will give me 2-3 years of gaming before I need to upgrade parts (if that's possible).

What's not important to me:
    • I'm OK with not running games at 100% of their graphic capabilities.
    • 4K. I don't have any 4K displays and no plans to acquire any. 1080 is fine by me.

Ideally I'd like to purchase a pre-built system as PC stuff isn't my strong point, but I do have enough technical skills to assemble the rig if the savings are great enough. If possible I'd like to keep the system at or under $1000 CAD, but I'm not sure if that's a realistic goal In terms of a system that will support VR, is there much difference in price to one that won't but will still run the game fine?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by DrPenguin87; 13-07-2018 at 15:04.
    The following user likes this Post: Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PC
    $1000 CAD is going to be cutting it close and won't really give you something that will have 2-3 year span. I would highly recommend increasing your budget to around $1500 CAD.

As far as systems, there are places online that you can "configure" a system where they will build it and send it to you. One I have had family members use in the past is:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
    https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Summer-Special-I
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 3 users likes this Post: DrPenguin87, Fight-Test, sas5320

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Are you including the VR headset in that price or just the pc. You can build a system that is VR capable for cheaper but this game takes a lot to run so you'd have to lower quality a lot to get 90fps.

If you were looking for a prebuilt, check out some of the iBuyPower systems at best buy. You can also get from their site and customize more. On the best buy site they will show if they are VR ready. They are nice because they don't come with any junk installed like you'd get on most prebuilt. You might be able to build one slightly cheaper with the same components but they are pretty fairly priced (even better when gpu prices were much higher).

If you really want something that will last you a couple years, you might be better saving a little longer and getting the best components you can. VR is going to keep needing more and there will be newer headsets out probably in the next year.
    The following user likes this Post: DrPenguin87

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the replies Mahjik and g.stew. I'm not including the headset in the price, and I would be OK with upping the amount to get the right system. $1000 was just a goal. I'll check out cyberpowerpc and iBuyPower this evening.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I've been looking at the CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower stuff. Is there an advantage to an Intel powered unit versus AMD Ryzen? Also the GTX 1060 seems to be in most of the ones I've looked at, is that a strong GPU? What part of the system dictates if it'll support VR?

Platform
    PC
    I have been getting my parts from NewEgg, building systems for myself/family. There prices are pretty good compared to some other sellers. (Canada).
    https://www.newegg.ca

edit:
    They also build systems.,just checked, if that's they way you would prefer to go.
    Last edited by BullWinkle; 11-07-2018 at 21:52.
    AsRock X370 Taichi MB /AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.4Ghz / G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 / Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Evo M.2
    Samsung 250GB 850 EVO (SSD) / SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX480 8GB/OC 1342Mhz / SeaSonic Focus 750W Gold / AMD Adrenalin 18.2.1 drivers / Acer XZ271U bmijpphzx 27 Curved WQHD 2560 x 1440p 144Hz monitor.
    Windows 10 64bit / TrackIR 5, ver 5.2 final drivers / Logitech G27

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Check also this very recent and related thread:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...le)-PC-for-PC2

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenguin87 View Post
    I've been looking at the CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower stuff. Is there an advantage to an Intel powered unit versus AMD Ryzen? Also the GTX 1060 seems to be in most of the ones I've looked at, is that a strong GPU? What part of the system dictates if it'll support VR?
    I had a family member purchase an iBuyPower system a few years ago. I was not impressed with their assembly quality (as well as their packing). This was many years ago, so things could be different today.

As far the GPU, the 1060 is the middle of the road right now. It's not the most powerful GPU, but it's not the weakest either. Anything higher is going to be almost your $1000 CAD budget on the GPU alone. If you can afford it, the 1080 is the best bang for the buck right now.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    BullWinkle, hello from a fellow East Coaster! I've been browsing NewEgg and have bought from them in the past. They carry the brands I've been looking at so far, so if I can I'll likely buy from them since they're a known quantity to me.

cpcdem, thanks for the link. I've read through that thread a few times and picked up lots of helpful info.

Mahjik, thanks for the info and heads-up on iBuyPower. If I spend the money I want to know I'm getting good quality in all facets so I appreciate the info. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should hold off on VR for the moment and instead focus on getting up to speed on PC and all the in's and out's that come with them. I don't want to jump into the deep end and overwhelm myself, and potentially end up ruining the experience for myself and regretting all the money spent. I'm confident that I will like VR, but I have no problems playing on a screen for the time being and the VR experience will only get better as I go. If I were to buy a PC not designed for VR, what components would I have to upgrade in the future to enable support?
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, cpcdem

Platform
    PC
    VR right now is not very efficient. In short, you want the most CPU and GPU power you can afford even if you aren't starting out with VR (if VR is an option later). Here's a quick article that can help you out:

https://www.quora.com/What-makes-a-GPU-VR-ready

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 3 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, DrPenguin87, sas5320