Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch from XBox.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Agree, if tight budget then skip VR at this time

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I have a question about video card choice. Everyone says get a 1080 or 1080ti. What I do not understand is, when I look it up. There are tons of different brands. So which one is best? Nvidia, EVGA, MSI etc etc. Or does it not matter as long as it is a 1080/1080ti
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
    I have a question about video card choice. Everyone says get a 1080 or 1080ti. What I do not understand is, when I look it up. There are tons of different brands. So which one is best? Nvidia, EVGA, MSI etc etc. Or does it not matter as long as it is a 1080/1080ti
    Most known brands are good(Asus, Gigabytes, MSI, etc...). It's more about getting a deal when your ready to buy. The differences you'll see between models is minimal. All of them uses drivers provided by nVidia anyway.
    All platform and wheels: Official Force Feedback Guide
    Info: pCars 2 Tire Pressure Official Guideline | Wheel FFB guide

Steering: G27 | My In-game FFB:Informative 98/32/45/4
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, sas5320

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    I had a family member purchase an iBuyPower system a few years ago. I was not impressed with their assembly quality (as well as their packing). This was many years ago, so things could be different today.
    I can't say how they were in the past, but I just got one a few weeks ago and was very impressed. I would normally build my own system but I had some rewards for best buy I wanted to use and the pricing wasn't that much different really. They had a lot of really good reviews and seemed to be very responsive to any issues both in the comments on best buy's site and their subreddit. They are basically just sourcing different parts and building systems really, but the packaging and overall presentation was much better than I expected. They include all the manuals, discs, etc for the individual components, and the best part is that you boot into a new windows install with nothing installed on it.

If you are up for building your own system, then definitely do that, but if not, they are a few similar options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    As far the GPU, the 1060 is the middle of the road right now. It's not the most powerful GPU, but it's not the weakest either. Anything higher is going to be almost your $1000 CAD budget on the GPU alone. If you can afford it, the 1080 is the best bang for the buck right now.
    Unfortunately there never seems to be a good time to buy the best video card. You just have to decide if you'll be happy knowing there is something you could have got that would give you better quality. The steps up in quality on most cards are noticeable so that's up to you to decide. If you check the Oculus site you can see the minimum system specs. I expect to have upgraded my 1080Ti in the next 2-3 years with changes hopefully coming for VR quality.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by poirqc View Post
    Most known brands are good(Asus, Gigabytes, MSI, etc...). It's more about getting a deal when your ready to buy. The differences you'll see between models is minimal. All of them uses drivers provided by nVidia anyway.
    Only big difference you'll find between them is cooling. Some use fans, some use water cooling. You can get ones that cost a little more that are meant to be better quality components for overclocking but that's really more for extreme overclocks anyway. You might not have much choice anyway depending on availability.
    The following user likes this Post: BullWinkle

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    don't be afraid of the used market it's worth a look especially for your GPU, could save a 100 or 2 if your consistent.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/GTX 1070 8gb/16GB 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD/Oculus Rift CV1/Proscan 4K tv @ 60hz/inactivated windows 10/Thrustmaster TX/Alcantara wheel/T3PA Pro/TH8A.
    The following user likes this Post: sas5320

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks everyone for the replies, they've been really helpful and I feel a bit more confident browsing various systems. One area I'm still a little foggy on is the power supply. Will the included be sufficient, or should it be upgraded? I've seen a few folks say sim racing games should use a larger power supply, but I haven't seen much reasoning as to why.

Platform
    PC
    I have just switched from Xbox X to PC and i bought a pre-built system from cyberpower, if you are planning to go down the VR route, you will struggle at around $1000
    i7-8700k, liquid cooled, 1080Ti. Oculus Rift VR, Fanatec Clubsport V2.5, Universal Hub SQ Shifter, Pedals V3, GT Omega Pro cockpit

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by justonce68 View Post
    I have just switched from Xbox X to PC and i bought a pre-built system from cyberpower, if you are planning to go down the VR route, you will struggle at around $1000
    Are you happy with the CyberPower machine? How was build quality, etc?

I'm going to skip VR for now. One thing I didn't consider in my excitement about the technology is the weight of the headset. I'm rehabbing neck injuries from a road car accident and will be for the foreseeable future. Probably not a great idea to add a VR headset into the combo for now.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Spend proportionally less on CPU and GPU. These components loose value quickly due to high R&D cycles. Worthless in 3 years.

Spend proportionally more on power supply, case, cooling as these components retain value longer and are reusable in future builds.