Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subscription

Hybrid View

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Subscription

What would be the pros and cons of Project Cars becoming a subscription service like the other big title that begins with i.

Would that allow for continuity through regular updates rather than the pressure to roll new games out on time? I think its something that even titles like FIFA are thinking of doing. Depending on price point it would be something that I would buy into.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamppostbotherer View Post
    What would be the pros and cons of Project Cars becoming a subscription service like the other big title that begins with i.

Would that allow for continuity through regular updates rather than the pressure to roll new games out on time? I think its something that even titles like FIFA are thinking of doing. Depending on price point it would be something that I would buy into.
    I'd rather have a brand new game once in a while...
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!

Forum rules please read: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1355858
    The following 7 users likes this Post: breyzipp, davidt33, Flat-6, lamppostbotherer, MrTulip, UkHardcore23, Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    I'd rather have a brand new game once in a while...

That model is rather outdated for sims unless you're Codemaster's F1 with its dedicated userbase that will buy the new game each year. People wants perspective, a vision and a sim that evolve for years, something new to look for whether new (paid) content, fixes, etc....and (some) regular dev communication.
    There's no long term vision for PC2 unfortunately, while the basis is there for a long term racing platform. So people will slowly flock to other sims that have a long term plan...
    Last edited by bubbleguuum; 11-07-2018 at 20:24.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: beetes_juice, lamppostbotherer, m00lean

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Me too, its a great feeling getting a new game. I still buy disks!

Its more so that we don't get all the daft bugs when a new game is released etc... Maybe not the same setup as iRacing but something along those lines maybe? There must be pros and cons
    The following user likes this Post: JasonSandwich

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamppostbotherer View Post
    Me too, its a great feeling getting a new game. I still buy disks!

Its more so that we don't get all the daft bugs when a new game is released etc... Maybe not the same setup as iRacing but something along those lines maybe? There must be pros and cons
    Well i own some disc editions as well and i usually play those to death and then i sell them to buy other ones...but believe it or not pCARS 2 is not one of those (until a possible pCARS 3 that is)
    Reason for that is that everything and more will be present in a possible sequel...that's the only reason i sold the first pCARS.
    Until then (in my case at least) there is enough content to keep me busy as is...
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!

Forum rules please read: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1355858
    The following 2 users likes this Post: davidt33, JasonSandwich

Platform
    PS4
    I'm with Konan on this.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333

Platform
    PC
    I wouldn't buy into a subscription model. But... I would buy expansion packs...

A subscription model to me means, less. Why bother, when the money is coming in anyway.

Different kettle of fish, but look at games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 (yes, I am a fanboy :P)
    Released in 2013 - still being updated, still getting expansions and still has 20-30k players per day.
    37th on the leaked steam sales figures list, which is damn high considering.

I like new games n all, but I also like games built and expanded upon, when they have a great foundation.. and PC2 seems fitting for that.
    Not to mention, you get to keep the existing content, which... may not be licensed for a new game and therefore dropped or incur more fees to include it again, although I know little about this area, so just guessing.
    RWB Racing International
    Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals, Rift CV1 or 4K XB321HK screen. i7 6700k, 32gb Ram, 1080ti, Samsung 850 SSD, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe
    The following 3 users likes this Post: beetes_juice, Easton, Tar Heel

Platform
    XBOX1
    As long as it's not like Iracing where you stil have to pay for content even though you pay a subscription

Yes it could work but I like many others am trying to maintain and save money and a subscription service is not something I would feel comfotable investing in for the forseeable future
    Car Photos Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...rs-you-spotted
    Tank Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nk-s-Tank-talk
    Xbox Gamertag: tankbuster621
    Steam: Tank621

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I don't see a reason why having regular new games, apart from that maybe this produces more revenue for the developers.

I mean, in it's core PCARS 2 is fantastic, what need is there for PCARS 3, from a user's point of view? Imagine this current game getting more fixes than it gets now, and over time simply getting more features and content, but while keeping the base as it is now, which I think is very robust and stable, except for a few things. Why not just fix those problematic areas, instead of doing a partial redesign in a new game, which will inevitably introduce new problems and we will be starting all over again?

The only reason I see for doing a new game instead of using some kind of subscription, is as said above if this is the only model that is commercially viable. If that's the case, then I completely understand it and we'll have to do with that because there's no other way, but I very much hope that this is not the only way and that instead some kind of subscription model to keep improving the current game is viable as well.
    The following user likes this Post: lamppostbotherer

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    I can think of at least couple of disadvantages of subscription model:

Risk 1: Paying for a subscription and not getting enough content you hoped to get.

Risk 2: Developer losing the license of the particular car or track. This happened just with some music tracks in GTA Online, and they simply vanished from the game.
    This is not a big problem for games that offer only fictional content but would be a total bummer for a racing sim. I do not know how the i-game manages this, nor what would happen if the developer ever went under.
    Intel i7-6900K 3.2@4.4 GHz | Asus X99-A USB3.1 | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia Titan X (Pascal) | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | SST Lightning H-shifter | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Flat-6, lamppostbotherer