Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subscription

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Good points, but I wasn't thinking of the same subscription model that iRacing uses, but more like what RRE does now, to keep adding more content for a price. But the more I am thinking about it, the more I think I realize it can't work...

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Although this is my go to sim and has no equal I would be out. I race with 3 friends on accounts all owned by me, so no way I'd pay that monthly fee 3 times. Heck even if it was for myself I wouldn't. In fact I wouldn't and won't for any game however great it is. Pay for additional content or features fine, but I won't ever subscribe.
    Last edited by MaximusN; 11-07-2018 at 22:19.
    Let's change the world today with a whisper
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive
    /// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following user likes this Post: FxUK

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I would pay for a subscription that offers a great and respectful online environment. Of course why would we choose PC2 over Iracing when they're way ahead in that respect. I guess if they let me keep my stuff so I could play offline then maybe I just might try it out.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/GTX 1070 8gb/16GB 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD/Oculus Rift CV1/Proscan 4K tv @ 60hz/inactivated windows 10/Thrustmaster TX/Alcantara wheel/T3PA Pro/TH8A.
    The following user likes this Post: lamppostbotherer

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    It's a no from me too on subscriptions. I'd be more than happy to buy more DLC and/or feature updates if they were relevant to me, but no more than that.
    System: Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX1070 (laptop) 8GB | 250GB M.2 + 960GB SSD + 2TB HDD| Win10 Home 64bit | Xbox 360 Controller | Oculus Rift CV1
    The following 3 users likes this Post: lamppostbotherer, Stewy32, Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Some great points all round. Seems to be a pretty mixed opinion! I understand if its difficult to do and im more than happy with the game, its fantastic! Just seems to me (uneducated gas engineer!) that as mentioned, PCars 2 would serve to be a perfect foundation to build on and really rival the i game.

Surly its easier to update and add to than what it is to build a new game? Again that is just my untrained eye!
    The following user likes this Post: JasonSandwich

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    I'd even add that I'm much more inclined to pay $150(or something) up front than do any form of subscription(I REALLY don't like living on credit/paying monthly fees if I can throw money at it to actually OWN something). And subscription also makes me feel bad about not using something for a period I am paying my monthly for. I'd be very inclined to cancel my subscription. If iRacing had cost 300 up front I might still be racing it now. But the current structure made me quit after 2 years(leaving all my bought content to rot in a virtual garage).

And if I'm honest I'd rather have a new gam 3 years down the line than playing the same one 10- years which has been gradually upgraded. I even think it's better for the developers to start with a clean slate every 3 years.
    Let's change the world today with a whisper
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive
    /// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamppostbotherer View Post
    Some great points all round. Seems to be a pretty mixed opinion! I understand if its difficult to do and im more than happy with the game, its fantastic! Just seems to me (uneducated gas engineer!) that as mentioned, PCars 2 would serve to be a perfect foundation to build on and really rival the i game.

Surly its easier to update and add to than what it is to build a new game? Again that is just my untrained eye!
    You have to take in account that software improves all the time...possibly (likely) a new PS and Xbox will hit the market and IMO it's less difficult to develop a new game on an even more improved engine than it is continuing developing for platforms that might soon be outdated or in some cases are stretched to their limits already...
    Last edited by Konan; 12-07-2018 at 09:30.
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!

Forum rules please read: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1355858

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcstar View Post
    Of course why would we choose PC2 over Iracing when they're way ahead in that respect.
    Well, because in almost every other aspect, PC2 is better

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusN View Post
    I'd even add that I'm much more inclined to pay $150(or something) up front than do any form of subscription(I REALLY don't like living on credit/paying monthly fees if I can throw money at it to actually OWN something).
    Same here. I know we don't technically own 'software/games' and only pay a licence to use it, but even so.
    I guess I'm old skool... what with everything going 'subscription /rental based' these days... I hate it.
    RWB Racing International
    Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals, Rift CV1 or 4K XB321HK screen. i7 6700k, 32gb Ram, 1080ti, Samsung 850 SSD, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe
    The following user likes this Post: MaximusN

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FxUK View Post
    Same here. I know we don't technically own 'software/games' and only pay a licence to use it, but even so.
    I guess I'm old skool... what with everything going 'subscription /rental based' these days... I hate it.
    I do not like it either. On the other hand, nowdays we get some extremely complicated and feature rich products for comparably extremely low prices (like PC2). For example we pay 60 euro for PC2, while we may pay 1000 euro for the PC playing it at, 500 for the wheel and so on and on.

Today's games are completely uncomparable to what they were 10 or 20 years ago, but are still being sold in quite similar prices. Companies need to make enough money in order to produce such beasts that they do... Now, of course there are respectful to the customer ways to generate more income, and there are less respectful ways, for example some companies require that gamers do spend more money after they purchase the game, in order to be able to be even competitive... On the other hand, some kind of subscription where it is very clear what the customer gets and why is way more honest and win/win in the long term for both the company and us the players.

I said "some kind" though, I am not saying that suddenly some game needs to become completely subscription-based and for everybody.
    The following user likes this Post: lamppostbotherer