Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subscription

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    It's something I would consider depending on how it was structured, etc. It'd have to be pretty good, I won't even pay for XBOX live to play online.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cpcdem, lamppostbotherer

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I don't think a subscription based model would work for the Project CARS franchise.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    I do not like it either. On the other hand, nowdays we get some extremely complicated and feature rich products for comparably extremely low prices (like PC2). For example we pay 60 euro for PC2, while we may pay 1000 euro for the PC playing it at, 500 for the wheel and so on and on.

Today's games are completely uncomparable to what they were 10 or 20 years ago, but are still being sold in quite similar prices. Companies need to make enough money in order to produce such beasts that they do... Now, of course there are respectful to the customer ways to generate more income, and there are less respectful ways, for example some companies require that gamers do spend more money after they purchase the game, in order to be able to be even competitive... On the other hand, some kind of subscription where it is very clear what the customer gets and why is way more honest and win/win in the long term for both the company and us the players.

I said "some kind" though, I am not saying that suddenly some game needs to become completely subscription-based and for everybody.
    I do understand... my thinking comes from "if I stop paying' I lose it all"...hence why I am happy to throw money at them, via expansion packs and the likes, but not so much, via subscription.

As for new games.. v2, v3 etc... well, they sometimes (quite frequently) lose content / features from prior versions (licencing etc?)... to me, that's a shame. My fav car's might not exist in PC3... some of them don't exist already.
    However, and I know it was an EA game... Shift 2 for example, did have a few, namely the Audi RS4, which I love (even though I have an Aston now)... the chances of that being added to a new game is slim to non-existent, unless modded in (not MP friendly). Its dated, but not classic dated. I would pay for those sort of things.. but licencing complicates that, obviously.

Some form of hybrid subscription, with a base game + subscription for extra's (unsure what)... maybe I could be tempted.. so long as when I stopped paying, I still had what I started with, not necessarily the stuff included in the subscription, obviously. That kind of idea, anyway. But, very little thought has gone into it from me
    RWB Racing International
    Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals CS Shifter, Rift CV1 / 4K XB321HK / Triple XB271HU 1440p screens. i7 6700k, 32gb Ram, 2080ti, Samsung 850 SSD, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, Throne Thumper, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe, Rseat S1
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, MaximusN, OperatorWay

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Subscriptions are a big no for me. I hate the idea that I'd lose access to all my stuff if I stop paying, and its way more money in the long run. Plus I can only have so many subs at a time. I'd much rather see the game updated with expansion packs. I'd prefer it to run for awhile before the next game as there is always a regression in content between games.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: FxUK, MaximusN

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, I am also not thinking of a subscription in the iRacing sense, or in RREs sense either, which requires "always online" so if you have no internet, you don't play (it's still like that, right?). I was more thinking along the lines of very large DLC packs, like 10 tracks and 20 cars in each, for a price similar to the game price, or something like that, each released every year so the devs have a steady income from the game. But I realize this has its disadvantages, those tracks would need to be taken out of the base game and then people would start accusing SMS of robbing them! Yeah, probably no easy way to do it and keep everybody happy... Well, I'm sure SMS have gone through all kinds of similar possibilities and thought through them all, very long before us making this brainstorming here now
    The following 2 users likes this Post: FxUK, JasonSandwich

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Yeah, I am also not thinking of a subscription in the iRacing sense, or in RREs sense either, which requires "always online" so if you have no internet, you don't play (it's still like that, right?). I was more thinking along the lines of very large DLC packs, like 10 tracks and 20 cars in each, for a price similar to the game price, or something like that, each released every year so the devs have a steady income from the game. But I realize this has its disadvantages, those tracks would need to be taken out of the base game and then people would start accusing SMS of robbing them! Yeah, probably no easy way to do it and keep everybody happy... Well, I'm sure SMS have gone through all kinds of similar possibilities and thought through them all, very long before us making this brainstorming here now
    I would gladly pay the cost of a new game ($90-100) for a huge car/track pass if it meant SMS could continue to improve on the current platform (improve AI, continue to fix bugs, etc).

The foundation is really good, there just needs to be QOL improvements to aspects of the game to make it reach it's full potential.
    Ryzen 1700 @3.8ghz|16GBs RAM @2933mhz|EVGA SC2 Hybrid 1080ti|1TB Samsung 960 EVO|250GB Samsung SSD|480GB SanDisk SSD
    1TB WD HDD|750w 80+ gold EVGA G3 PSU|Dell 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor|Fanatec V2.5|Fanatec Formula Carbon Rim|Fanatec V3 Pedals|TH8A Shifter|Fanatec Handbrake
    The following 6 users likes this Post: cpcdem, FxUK, KANETAKER, MaximusN, morpwr, Pekka Salminen

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FxUK View Post
    ...my thinking comes from "if I stop paying, I lose it all"...
    Indeed, that's how I see it too, and that's one reason I do not support the idea.
    *Disclaimer: comments are only my own musings, not 'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    Platform: desktop PC | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | Wheel: ThrustMaster T150
    CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4GHz quad-core | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB PCIe3.0x16 | Display: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 144Hz 1ms 1920x1080
    System SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB SATA3 | Game SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA3
    The following 2 users likes this Post: KANETAKER, MaximusN

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    I would gladly pay the cost of a new game ($90-100) for a huge car/track pass if it meant SMS could continue to improve on the current platform (improve AI, continue to fix bugs, etc).

The foundation is really good, there just needs to be QOL improvements to aspects of the game to make it reach it's full potential.
    Me too. And if they want to keep selling additional content that's also a good incentive to keep supporting the main code base(bug fixes/improvements) because it will improve the sales of DLC. IMHO much healthier than a subscription.

With subscription you always end up at a point when you have to decide if you still play it enough to warrant a monthly pay. I don't want that kind of dilemmas in my games. They should be pay and forget(and if you want extra content pay more and forget more ).
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following 6 users likes this Post: cpcdem, FxUK, KANETAKER, lawfulharbor218, morpwr, Tar Heel

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Maybe we could even keep both parties happy. I for instance bought the lifetime online pack for rFactor 2 and we all know now that wasn't money well spent. But in the end I still don't care because I hate the idea paying per year/month than paying to much to know I never have to pay again. So I was glad I was given that option.

But... Why not have both options.? A (cheaper in the long run but) expensive lifetime option and a pay per month/year option? Although I still think the base game should cost something(like $20 or something), but that's not up to me. That way both 'sides' get their moneys worth in their opinion and everybody is happy.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    CSW 2.5, 918 Wheel, V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)

Platform
    PC
    ehhh most subscription models are more or less one and done - I pay one price for a 1 year/6 month/ 3 month or whatever, with a discount, and reup again a down the line if I feel its worth it. Going month to month is a complete waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleguuum View Post
    That model is rather outdated for sims unless you're Codemaster's F1 with its dedicated userbase that will buy the new game each year. People wants perspective, a vision and a sim that evolve for years, something new to look for whether new (paid) content, fixes, etc....and (some) regular dev communication.
    There's no long term vision for PC2 unfortunately, while the basis is there for a long term racing platform. So people will slowly flock to other sims that have a long term plan...
    Nailed it on the head. I hope (if) PC3 does happen that we can move to a more long term model - service/subscription type model, expansion packs, whatever. The writing is one the wall, one and done sims are a thing of the past - especially with the rise of esports and legit competitive driving.
    Project CARS 2 Driver Eye Youtube Playlist
    Current Rig: Monitor: Sharp 42" LED | VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz | GPU:STRIX 1080TI OC | MB: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING | Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + WD BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: EVGA 850W G2 80+GOLD
    Hardware: Wheel: FAN PC HUB | Pedals: FAN V2 | Rim: FAN GT US
    The following user likes this Post: lamppostbotherer