Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Getting the trailer road worthy again

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Olijke Poffer View Post
    Yeah.. memory was so freaking expensive in those days. I bought a 40486 and for 1100 gulden (500 euro) 16mb ram. Lol..
    Unbelievable, even my clock has more ram today.. first CD-rom player and the game 7th guest.. and so and so on. Loved that time.
    Before you could install something you had to edit files with the “edlin” command.
    Something in me died when our Dutch digital leprechaun died. Of course I am talking about Chriet Titulaer. Who informed us Dutchies of the latest technologie and gadgets far before they ever became a thing. He was the first guy to build the house of the future which was FAR ahead of its time... a fully smart fully automatic house build in 1989!!! Many minds were blown a the time.

It was really something I'd sit down for every time no matter how young I was, I really used to be a tech junkie. Sadly I no longer am due to various circumstances, but mostly because I can't agree to how tech is utilized by big companies and governments alike. Tech should be for convenience or entertainment and not for spying on or controlling people. Too much Orwell 1984 if you catch my drift.

Anyway, our leprechaun... Chriet Titulaer.

System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    OMG...Chriet Titulaer...learned a lot from him back in the day (probably already forgot most of it as well lol )
    I really loved his program
    Brings back memories...
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!
    The following user likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    OMG...Chriet Titulaer...learned a lot from him back in the day (probably already forgot most of it as well lol )
    I really loved his program
    Brings back memories...
    I still have a Lego fire engine from back in those days with such a little chip inside and everything.

I wish they'd make programs like that again, without the hyper active background audio and a simple chap that honestly tries to explain things in simple terms the new tech stuff. No need for ADD style presenters that rather wish to be the center of attention rather than the thing they should be presenting in the first place.

Honestly, I am getting like my grandparents... old and nagging about the new stuff. LOL
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

Platform
    PC
    I heard zee noise! I heard anything from an old Benetton up till Vettel's Torro Rosso STR2 car and also last years Renault F1 cars.

Okay, I am slightly deaf now but it was all for a good cars.

Talking about F1 and something that was lacking this year, well it wasn't lacking here...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180818_114232_286.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	259032

Okay okay, next post I'll go back to the trailer. I just wanted to share my enjoyment during my break a tiny bit.

The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PC
    As far as the trailer goes... I only put together the below today. Partially that is as the hose is already in the caravan and I still need to route the cable and all that.

I did put the float in the tank, used the new drills (that cost only 15 euro) to make a nice hole. Tested the pump and check valve for operation.

The only thing that's still missing is the garden hose that I need to connect to the tank, and enough meters to cover the camping spots. Couple of quick disconnects and different size water tap connections to hook the disconnects onto. Oh, and some straps to strap down the water tank of course.
    Plus I need a couple new fuse holders for use in line with the constant power wires coming from the car into the caravan. Albeit that's unrelated to the below, but what is related is that I need to drill a new hole in a new cable tray I still need to buy for the trailer wiring loom coming from the car.

1. Bought a new 13 liter water tank

2. Bought a Reich Power Jet Plus 25l/min submersible pump

3. Reich UniQuick Check Valve so water stays in the long hose with quick connect

4. 5 meters of blue 10mm (diameter) water hose

5. 10 meters of 2 strand wire to connect the pump

6. Tiny junction box to connect the pump and wire inside with a couple of Wago lever clamps

7. Reich City Water connection and float for the watertank. This means I can hook up a hose to the water mains and it'll automatically fill up the water tank until the float raises up to close the opening (basically like in the toilet's water tank)

8. Stepped drill bit set I bought cheaply (surprisingly!!!) at the TT-Circuit today. It's the Stanford 02573 set in nice metal case. HSS-metal and Titanium coating.

9. Reich De Lux Nikkel/Black cold water tap

The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    That thing'll be brand new once you finished it...
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    That thing'll be brand new once you finished it...
    Only the furniture, stove, fridge and gas heater will still be original. So yeah, it's hardly the same caravan/trailer my parents bought anymore.

I had to fix the fridge though. There is a T-piece on top of the burner's exhaust pipe that's angled up so that hot air can travel up through the pipe out the back. That T-piece is open on the lower end as well in order for air to be sucked in and pull the hot air upwards.
    The problem was that due to I think initial ignition and gas being up the pipe you'd get a blowtorch upon ignition out of that T-piece. This melted away the styrofoam insulation on the back, and thus I suddenly was looking through the freezer area out the back. I filled it up with some styrofoam I had around and put some aluminium tape over it to prevent future damage by heat dissipation.

Platform
    PC
    Forgot to take pictures but everything furniture wise is in. Just need to put in the stove/sink and fridge, plus hook all the wiring and plumbing up for electrics/gas/water.

That said... I did get myself a creeper today for a mere 35 euro at said brand store on creeper. Makes life sooooo much easier when crawling under cars or trailers!
    Even though I only had to be under there one last time today for routing the water pump electricity wire. It's a future investment.

Also I had a guy come over to check my caravan for me. He did all sorts of bodywork and painting of both cars and trailers, as well as detailing including polyester. Once I mentioned I used the brand 123-Products and that I used their wax, he immediately knew what was going on with those brown/yellow streaks on the caravan/trailer. In that wax there's a corrosive substance that ate away at the polyester gelcoat because the wax layer wasn't thoroughly waxed out. He also told me that his friend once removed the paint layer on his Fendt caravan/trailer, so it's simply that corrosive he said.
    He gave me a lot of tips and pointers and had a go with his Flex Polishing machine and 3M polishes and a certain non-commercial wax, including a window. It can be removed but it'll be a hard job and you have to go slowly at it panel for panel, bit by bit.

He also said that caravans/trailers are going up in value these days and especially these little ones, so he said that it would be best to all-risk insure it even when it's an old caravan from 1992 already.

Anyway... this is the BAD wax, BE WARNED!:

Platform
    PC
    I forgot to mention... this is the action plan.

Firstly... buy the biggest Flex polisher I can get, a concentric one.

1. Remove big stains by hand using 2000 grid (or 1200 if it's really bad, than back to 2000) and finish with 3000
    2. Polish with: 3M PERFECT-IT™ III 50417 FAST CUT PLUS POLISH

4. Polish to glossy finish: 3M PERFECT-IT™ III 50383 ULTRAFINE SE POLISH

5. Finish with a wax with very light polish called: System power polish