Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Getting the trailer road worthy again

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    You know what? You talking about old guys not passing down their craft and knowledge being lost, as well as you doing metal work and body work. It reminded me of this guy, Roy Schmidt, at Boyd Coddington's shop (even though I didn't like Boyd or Duane watching the show).

It's just sad to see knowledge lost. In the same way I look at old mechanics and steam machines of old. There's something inspiring about it all. In Hungary in the 90's they still used steam trains, and I would always go off of the camping site when I heard the train coming, as I just loved watching that old metal rubbel down the line.

System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan van Beilen View Post
    You know what? You talking about old guys not passing down their craft and knowledge being lost, as well as you doing metal work and body work. It reminded me of this guy, Roy Schmidt, at Boyd Coddington's shop (even though I didn't like Boyd or Duane watching the show).

It's just sad to see knowledge lost. In the same way I look at old mechanics and steam machines of old. There's something inspiring about it all. In Hungary in the 90's they still used steam trains, and I would always go off of the camping site when I heard the train coming, as I just loved watching that old metal rubbel down the line.

I wasn't a fan of that show either but that's what I mean. If you had someone that really knew it would be much easier. It kills me that it took someone like 10 years to figure out how to reproduce a 32 ford grill that someone made in 12 months long before cnc machines and computers. The made the dies by hand back then and we couldn't do it today? If im not mistaken the old Ferraris where made by hand by true craftsmen. Just so much knowledge lost when the old guys die and didn't have someone to teach it to.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Small update...

My Meguiars dual action polisher started to throttle and doesn't respond to the speed control anymore.

Better news. The spots in the gelcoat is removable, but it needs a sand. In fact I noticed the entire gelcoat is yellow.
    I attacked it with my spot repair kit for car paint, for which I have a small sanding kit. I started out at 2500 grid and finally got results at 1500 grid. Although I think about going down to 1200 or 1000 grid, than back up to 2000 and machine buff it out. If I can get the machine going again.

Though since it is quite a job, I am going to leave it for next year. Unless I still have spare time.

Current priority is the inside and the crack repair.
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

Alright... bought something to scrape the foam off with.

So far I removed the gas heater from the caravan and brought the cushions to the attic. I had a good look in what order I needed to remove the furniture in as well, and it should be easy. Although I might want to replace most if not all screws and nuts. Moisture has caused rust of the steel or oxidation of aluminium.

I need to do a small cleaning and fix of the heater. One rivet got loose and it ended up rattling around inside. So I need to pop a new one in, no biggie.

Platform
    PC
    Alright... bought something to scrape the foam off with.

So far I removed the gas heater from the caravan and brought the cushions to the attic. I had a good look in what order I needed to remove the furniture in as well, and it should be easy. Although I might want to replace most if not all screws and nuts. Moisture has caused rust of the steel or oxidation of aluminium.

I need to do a small cleaning and fix of the heater. One rivet got loose and it ended up rattling around inside. So I need to pop a new one in, no biggie.

If you can just replace the hardware with stainless. If you cant find it locally you should be able to order it for not much more then what regular hardware costs and no more rust. Glad to see the project is going well.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

Quote Originally Posted by morpwr View Post
    If you can just replace the hardware with stainless. If you cant find it locally you should be able to order it for not much more then what regular hardware costs and no more rust. Glad to see the project is going well.
    I can source a lot of it locally. Everything is currently screwed down with those slotted screws for which you need a flat screwdriver. I absolutely hate them! So I am thinking of sourcing some Philips instead.

It's dinner time now and after I'll tackle the kitchenette and fridge removal. Tomorrow I'll probably do the lower furniture, so the seats cupboard and kitchen furniture. Oh, and removing some electronics.

I am happy it's going well so far though.

Oh one question... Stainless or galvanized? I thought galvanized was even better?

Platform
    PC
    I can source a lot of it locally. Everything is currently screwed down with those slotted screws for which you need a flat screwdriver. I absolutely hate them! So I am thinking of sourcing some Philips instead.

It's dinner time now and after I'll tackle the kitchenette and fridge removal. Tomorrow I'll probably do the lower furniture, so the seats cupboard and kitchen furniture. Oh, and removing some electronics.

I am happy it's going well so far though.

Oh one question... Stainless or galvanized? I thought galvanized was even better?
    Toatally agree they should stop making and using slotted screws. I hate them. A little tip for getting out stuck or slightly stripped screws. Just dip the tip of the screw driver in valve grinding compound and they usually will come right out. The valve grinding compound gives a lot more bite. And a lot of times a good smack with a hammer on the top of the screwdriver will free them up. Id definitely go stainless anywhere I can use them. Ive never seen problems using stainless in most things.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen, Konan

Okay, I got the kitchenette out as well as the fridge. I just couldn't remove the screws that went into the floor.

The screws are a 5.5 flat head but there just isn't enough to bite onto. Also it's a bit sunk into the wood and I don't want to damage the wood, and I already tried hammering in the screwdriver and didn't succeed. There just isn't enough room for a good swing.

Any tips?

Currently I am thinking A) drilling it out, or B) getting manual impact driver, or C) try to use an air impact driver (albeit I fear this is too much)

Edit: I just noticed you posted a few tips there, morpwr. :P
    Last edited by Christiaan van Beilen; Yesterday at 17:06.

The following user likes this Post: morpwr

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    If all fails you can always drill them out...

Edit:I just noticed your edit LOL
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!

Forum rules please read: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1355858
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    If you can find a screwdriver that has a spot for a wrench to help turn it or just put a pair of vice grips on it along with the valve grinding compound . If that doesnt work youre probably stuck with what Konan said. I hate drilling out screws and bolts.lol The valve grinding compound works wonders. Ive broke off more good screwdriver tips with it or the heads of screws. But either way the screw wasn't coming out then.

One more tip sometimes tightening the screw and hitting it works believe it or not. As soon as you feel it move try loosening it.
    Last edited by morpwr; Yesterday at 17:40.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen, Konan