Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We have both transparent and invisible drivers, why?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4

Angry We have both transparent and invisible drivers, why?

If you join in the middle of a free practices or qualifying season you can find that there are transparent cars which you can cross it despite of the fact that there is transparent option fixed in NO, and invisible drivers as well, which you can't see them in your screen, but, the some of the others cars can see how you are crossing their cars, and if you are in the box and monitoring the season you can see both cars.
    I do not understand that bug, what trigger it, and if SMS is looking for a solution, but I know that is a disturbing bug.
    T300 Alcantara + F1 Addon
    The following 2 users likes this Post: DinoM, m00lean

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    When you join a session in progress (JIP), none of the other car models are loaded for the driver who joined, to save a lot of the lag that was caused previously. Once you return to the pits the other cars are then loaded and, when the other drivers return to the pits, they can see the cars that JIP'd. It's not a bug, it's designed specifically to prevent those nasty hangs that occurred previously when cars joined mid-session.

EDIT : My description above is "slightly" wrong (I'm not sure what was going through my head when I typed it!). When you join a lobby that is in progress, your car model is invisible to anybody already in the lobby and on track. As soon as one of those other drivers returns to the pits, your car model will be loaded into memory and they will see you. The fact remains, though, that this was done to prevent those nasty hiccups that occurred when somebody would JIP in - because at that point their car model would be loaded from the disk and into memory.
    Last edited by cluck; 13-07-2018 at 13:09.
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // Logitech G29 wheel // Fanatec Clubsport v3 Pedals // Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz // Oculus Rift DK2 // GT Omega Cockpit Pro w/extra bracing //
    The following 12 users likes this Post: bmanic, BuToNz, cpcdem, davidt33, EV3RY, gregc, JasonSandwich, Konan, lawfulharbor218, Mad Al, MartinMWWebb, ProDriver

Platform
    PS4
    Well that settles that. Thanks for the explanation.
    Coming to think of it probably that's why I've noticed less lags, if any, than previously.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Ok. So it's not a bug but a very dirty workaround. I'd rather have the occasional lag than having to ask all session participants back to the pits so everyone sees everyone else.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by m00lean View Post
    Ok. So it's not a bug but a very dirty workaround. I'd rather have the occasional lag than having to ask all session participants back to the pits so everyone sees everyone else.
    Ok guys. This guy's not happy with the fix used. Let's roll that lag back in. Get back to the drawing board

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Just saying that this "fix" is causing more trouble than the problem.

Just saying, some people exaggerate way too much..

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    I made a slight mistake in my description by the way. When you JIP, you will see the other cars on the circuit, it is only the other drivers who will not see you until they return to the pits, whereupon your car model is loaded into memory for them.

EDIT : Just to add, there is no perfect solution to this. You could go the route where a basic car model is loaded but that would almost certainly get ripped apart in many quarters (even if that is how a certain other sim does it). There is absolutely no way you're going to have all the car models loaded into memory, especially not on console - it's also a ridiculous waste of resources. Given the choice between a JIP player being invisible to other cars, until the other cars have returned to the pits, or getting a nasty spike which often results in accidents when it happens mid-corner, I'll take the "I'm invisible" route every day of the week.

By the way, this has been in the game for a few patches now - it was introduced in patch 3 or 4, I can't remember exactly which one.
    Last edited by cluck; 13-07-2018 at 13:19.
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // Logitech G29 wheel // Fanatec Clubsport v3 Pedals // Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz // Oculus Rift DK2 // GT Omega Cockpit Pro w/extra bracing //
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, Mad Al

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    That occasional lag was very very big and extremely annoying. I also do not like the ghosting, but I prefer it to the lag by far. Btw, it's not that the other cars (or some of the cars) are invisible, it's only that when you are very near to them they are getting ghosted. When you have a distance to them they are fine and normally you should always have a distance to cars in qualifying

(please take this lightly, I know that sometimes it's inevitable to go near other cars also in quali)
    The following user likes this Post: MaximusN

Platform
    PS4
    I don't think most would agree with you.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following 5 users likes this Post: cluck, cpcdem, lawfulharbor218, WGIstation6a, Zaskarspants