Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong FFB oscillations G29

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Strong FFB oscillations G29

Hey there, I'm struggling with strong FFB oscillations under certain conditions.

Inputs:
    • G29, calibrated at 100/870, steering deadzone at 0.
    • Default FFB settings: informative 100/50/50/50.

Repro steps:
    • Audi event 3 in career's manufacturer drives. Practice, qualifying and race (R18 '14, Spa, foggy/rainy/overcast conditions, 5/29/2018).
    • Rather sudden, strong oscillations in middle/end of Kemmel straight, Pouhon exit, right kink before Blanchimont.

Screenshots from telemetry view with oscillations visible on the graph: imgur.com/a/Mah3WOM (can't post a proper link... spam protection). The first image caught the start of the oscillations. Consistent, quick, strong oscillations in the last image. Some variety of shapes in the other 2 screenshots.

My observations:
    • This does NOT happen in private practice (same weather/date/time). Is this related to other cars on the track?
    • I believe small bumps are present in the above-mentioned spots on the track. Turning down FX all the way to 0 does not make the oscillations go away.
    • Switching FFB flavors doesn't help. Raw flavor seems to make the oscillations violent.
    • Setting steering deadzone doesn't help.
    • Oscillations go away only if I set gain to 0. They are present with gain 40 and 20, however they seem to occur less often.

This does not look good, the event is unplayable for me. Is this a known issue? Any hope for a patch? Anyone else experiencing this?
    Last edited by Pollynuts; 02-08-2018 at 00:57.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Update: the above also happens to 919, R18 ('16 LM) and M6 GTLM. Custom event practice, Spa, default date, clear weather.

Not getting this at Monza or Imola. This looks like a Spa issue then?

Platform
    PC
    Absolutely related to how many cars on track.
    G920/29 with 12 cars on track will freak out with the FFB settings you're using.
    Shneeb108 (Peter Stefani) i7-8750H 9GB SC / GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 / 16GB DDR4 2666MHz / 250GB 970 EVO M.2 SSD / 1TB 860 EVO SSD / G920-Ricmotech / Playseat Evo / LG-27GL850 / FFB- Modified UFFB for G920 / Racing SIM Tools.com - Member

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneebnaMRR108 View Post
    G920/29 with 12 cars on track will freak out with the FFB settings you're using.
    I dont have a ps4 but I thought that this is an xbox og and s issue that does not occur on the ps4.
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say. It doesn't happen at other tracks, i.e Monza. Don't think it happened prior to patch 6 either.

Default FFB settings are perfectly fine and G29 should not freak out with them. Informative/immersive flavors have an auto-tune, FFB output gets automatically adjusted to prevent clipping. So you're constantly running at the maximum possible settings, no matter the track/car. This is one of the most beloved features in the game.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollynuts View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say. It doesn't happen at other tracks, i.e Monza. Don't think it happened prior to patch 6 either.

Default FFB settings are perfectly fine and G29 should not freak out with them. Informative/immersive flavors have an auto-tune, FFB output gets automatically adjusted to prevent clipping. So you're constantly running at the maximum possible settings, no matter the track/car. This is one of the most beloved features in the game.
    What he is trying to say is. On OG Xbox and Xbox One S but not the X, they have similar issues. If there are too many AI on the track, you will get strong wheel shake depending on if the cars are grouped close together or some other scenarios. Which is why it does not happen in Private practice because there are no cars on the track.

Quick way to tell if its AI. Use the same car and track but in CUSTOM race. Start with a FUll 32 car grid. See if the shake is there. If it is. Drop it down to 16 and repeat and go lower and see if it eventually goes away. If it does (which it should) it is due to too many AI on the track. Not sure if this is a PS4 issue like the Xbox but that is what the Xbox guys are dealing with.
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
    What he is trying to say is. On OG Xbox and Xbox One S but not the X, they have similar issues. If there are too many AI on the track, you will get strong wheel shake depending on if the cars are grouped close together or some other scenarios. Which is why it does not happen in Private practice because there are no cars on the track.

Quick way to tell if its AI. Use the same car and track but in CUSTOM race. Start with a FUll 32 car grid. See if the shake is there. If it is. Drop it down to 16 and repeat and go lower and see if it eventually goes away. If it does (which it should) it is due to too many AI on the track. Not sure if this is a PS4 issue like the Xbox but that is what the Xbox guys are dealing with.
    Thank you for explaining this. Lowered the amount of AI to 5 and... the oscillations are gone, been doing perfectly fine for 10 laps. Worth noting that the car feels a lot more stable and predictable. Also, the FPS drop with more AI on the track is quite noticeable.

Am upset... 32 cars is too much to cope with on ps4? I can't lower AI number in career, so it's out of the picture for me now, guh? I thought one of the advantages of consoles is that every ps4 has the same hardware, so performance related settings are predefined and tested to run smoothly. So you never need to bother figuring out what works for you.

If it's too much to cope with on certain consoles, why not lower the predefined graphics settings? Would very much prefer stable physics and larger grids over higher resolution textures.
    Last edited by Pollynuts; 03-08-2018 at 15:07.

Platform
    PC
    Thanks to Juiced 46 for the detailed explanation. Glad you understand it better now. One last thing to mention is that in any Flavor used, adding FX will boost a lot of the FFB effects in general, so having the FX set at 50 will boost more than you might think.

Every car/track combo is going to be different, as it should be, so you'll have to experiment with all the combo's to see what works for you.

Yeah, too bad about Career for consoles, with fixed 32 cars, it pretty much kills it for a number of us, but not for some others. (another oddity) Strange, sense Custom Race can be adjusted, but Career can not. I'm mean, it's your Career, why can't you set it up the way you want. And even if it was adjustable, you might just be driving towards a potential deletion somewhere down the road.
    Shneeb108 (Peter Stefani) i7-8750H 9GB SC / GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 / 16GB DDR4 2666MHz / 250GB 970 EVO M.2 SSD / 1TB 860 EVO SSD / G920-Ricmotech / Playseat Evo / LG-27GL850 / FFB- Modified UFFB for G920 / Racing SIM Tools.com - Member

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thanks to Juiced 46 for the detailed explanation. Glad you understand it better now. One last thing to mention is that in any Flavor used, adding FX will boost a lot of the FFB effects in general, so having the FX set at 50 will boost more than you might think.

Every car/track combo is going to be different, as it should be, so you'll have to experiment with all the combo's to see what works for you.

Yeah, too bad about Career for consoles, with fixed 32 cars, it pretty much kills it for a number of us, but not for some others. (another oddity) Strange, sense Custom Race can be adjusted, but Career can not. I'm mean, it's your Career, why can't you set it up the way you want. And even if it was adjustable, you might just be driving towards a potential deletion somewhere down the road.
    Narrowing down the number of AI is just a workaround for custom races, not a fix, isn't it? It's not okay that this Audi event is virtually unplayable. That said, I'd better hope for a patch and an actual fix. If the game puts 32 cars on the track and doesn't let me adjust it, the game gotta handle it or what am I missing?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Have you tried altering the graphic options.
    I turned most of them off and seem to not have a problem now with large grids nowon the ps4.