Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: net LAG

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to what you are telling me ;-)

From my understanding on PCars 1 the default was -pthreads 2 as the minimum requirement for CPU was a dual core, the physics could run on 2 cores splitting the 4 tyre physics over the 2 cores but you could put -pthreads 4 in for a quad core to make it run 4 cores and the physics would run on each tyre, PCars 2 min requirement is a quad core so the threads are default 4 and the physics runs on all 4 tyres one per core.

I maybe wrong but I am sure I read it in PCars1.
    I'm saying the default with no options is the same as -pthreads 2, so using -pthreads 4 spreads out the threading to one thread per tyre, rather than a thread having to do two tyres

Both PC1 and PC2 have a min requirement of a quad core.. in the case of PC1 a Core 2 Quad (Q8400) or Phenom II X4, as it happens it would indeed run on an i3 (I did for a start)

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    I'm saying the default with no options is the same as -pthreads 2, so using -pthreads 4 spreads out the threading to one thread per tyre, rather than a thread having to do two tyres

Both PC1 and PC2 have a min requirement of a quad core.. in the case of PC1 a Core 2 Quad (Q8400) or Phenom II X4, as it happens it would indeed run on an i3 (I did for a start)
    Sorry yes it was a Core 2 quad, we are sort of saying the same thing but I am sure PCars2 is default 4 thread because the recommended spec for PCars 1 is the same as the minimum for Pcars 2 exactly the same, I think the pthreads 2 was to take into account the low spec of the minimum req in PCars 1.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Sorry yes it was a Core 2 quad, we are sort of saying the same thing but I am sure PCars2 is default 4 thread because the recommended spec for PCars 1 is the same as the minimum for Pcars 2 exactly the same, I think the pthreads 2 was to take into account the low spec of the minimum req in PCars 1.
    No, as Mad Al said, with no launch options the game creates 64 threads in total, while if you use -pthreads 4 then it fires 66 threads, 2 extra more, so the default is actually 2 threads for the tires (rest of the threads are used for various other things I imagine). At least it definitely was like that when I made also my own tests a few months ago, because with patch 5 with my 4460 CPU it was making a huge difference in car handling using -pthreds 4 or not. That was changed/fixed in patch 6, so I no longer need to specify this launch option, at least regarding car handling issues.

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    No, as Mad Al said, with no launch options the game creates 64 threads in total, while if you use -pthreads 4 then it fires 66 threads, 2 extra more, so the default is actually 2 threads for the tires (rest of the threads are used for various other things I imagine). At least it definitely was like that when I made also my own tests a few months ago, because with patch 5 with my 4460 CPU it was making a huge difference in car handling using -pthreds 4 or not. That was changed/fixed in patch 6, so I no longer need to specify this launch option, at least regarding car handling issues.
    Interesting, I have never seen a difference between default and 4, maybe if your cores are strong enough to run 2 then 4 won't matter, all I know is that the FX series running 2 or 4 the cores are weak as piss, it may lighten the load a bit but I do remember as mentioned the i3 dual cores were much stronger on 2 cores than an 8 core FX CPU running on 4 for gaming.

I tested my 4790k on -pthreads 4 earlier and didn't notice a difference myself, maybe if it is 2 threads default on strong cores then the game will not need the extra 2 and it's just distributed more even if that makes sense.

Either way what the OP is suffering is down to the FX CPU regardless of threads, I had the FX8350 and it made no difference to the problem of fast lap times and the regular jutter, it's a clock issue that messes with timings.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I tested my 4790k on -pthreads 4 earlier and didn't notice a difference myself, maybe if it is 2 threads default on strong cores then the game will not need the extra 2 and it's just distributed more even if that makes sense.
    Obviously I don't know the internal design details of the game, but if we assume that the physics code is by far the most CPU heavy one, then if that code uses a single thread, then only one CPU core will be always pushed to the max (and possibly over its limits, so it cannot cope anymore), while the other cores will remain practically inactive. If the calculations are distributed to 2 CPU threads, then the OS will assign them to two different physical (or "logical", with hyper-threading CPUs) cores, so the overall strain will be less. Similar with using 4 CPU threads for the physics calculations etc.

I guess the game tries to be smart though and uses as many threads as it thinks its best for each user's PC. In my case, with my older PC possibly the wrong decision was being made in patch 5, the physics couldn't keep up and I was having all sorts of issues, but forcing the game to use 4 threads for physics took care of the problem. Later patch 6 took care of it in general and I did not have to use -pthreads 4 anymore.

Either way what the OP is suffering is down to the FX CPU regardless of threads, I had the FX8350 and it made no difference to the problem of fast lap times and the regular jutter, it's a clock issue that messes with timings.
    Very possibly, but could also be something else. For example in my case, last month I got a new PC, faster CPU, faster GPU, SSD drive etc, but had extreme lag online, exactly the same way the OP describes it, even though the network was still exactly the same. I suspected Windows 10 was the culprit (had been using Win 7 before) and all its updating cr*p, so I reinstalled Win 10 from scratch, uninstalled everything MS liked to equip me with, disabled updates, defender and stuff like that and now it all works fine for me, no lag whatsoever. Not sure which of the changes took care of it though...

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Obviously I don't know the internal design details of the game, but if we assume that the physics code is by far the most CPU heavy one, then if that code uses a single thread, then only one CPU core will be always pushed to the max (and possibly over its limits, so it cannot cope anymore), while the other cores will remain practically inactive. If the calculations are distributed to 2 CPU threads, then the OS will assign them to two different physical (or "logical", with hyper-threading CPUs) cores, so the overall strain will be less. Similar with using 4 CPU threads for the physics calculations etc.

I guess the game tries to be smart though and uses as many threads as it thinks its best for each user's PC. In my case, with my older PC possibly the wrong decision was being made in patch 5, the physics couldn't keep up and I was having all sorts of issues, but forcing the game to use 4 threads for physics took care of the problem. Later patch 6 took care of it in general and I did not have to use -pthreads 4 anymore.

Very possibly, but could also be something else. For example in my case, last month I got a new PC, faster CPU, faster GPU, SSD drive etc, but had extreme lag online, exactly the same way the OP describes it, even though the network was still exactly the same. I suspected Windows 10 was the culprit (had been using Win 7 before) and all its updating cr*p, so I reinstalled Win 10 from scratch, uninstalled everything MS liked to equip me with, disabled updates, defender and stuff like that and now it all works fine for me, no lag whatsoever. Not sure which of the changes took care of it though...
    I agree Windows updates have fu..ed me a few times with various things but the key thing here was the lap times for me, I have been there and I know how it goes, lap times speeding up are not net related or Win related, they are mismatched timings, the game sees one and the hardware sees another basically, it can't keep up, it's not much different really to the consoles with max AI seeing slowdowns.

Instead of the normal 1 step forward 3 steps back it reverses and goes 3 steps forward and 1 step back.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I agree Windows updates have fu..ed me a few times with various things but the key thing here was the lap times for me, I have been there and I know how it goes, lap times speeding up are not net related or Win related, they are mismatched timings, the game sees one and the hardware sees another basically, it can't keep up, it's not much different really to the consoles with max AI seeing slowdowns.

Instead of the normal 1 step forward 3 steps back it reverses and goes 3 steps forward and 1 step back.
    Ah right, I missed the part of the OP that lap times also get unrealistic. I remember your previous posts about that, yeah possibly this is related to here as well. Wondering if the OP has overclocked the CPU?