Thread: I thought I would never complain about the penalty system...

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1

I thought I would never complain about the penalty system...

Okay I am sure this has been covered before but I feel the need to make my experience known to the community.

A few nights ago I was in a race at Road America and qualified 4th. On the opening lap as I was coming into turn 2, two cars in front of me got sideways on the pavement forcing me to use evasive action. With my eyes as wide open as they can be and the 2 cars in front of me horizontally sliding through turn 2, I instinctively drive to the outside and around them going off track while losing as minimal speed as possible. There was no way to avoid the 2nd and 3rd place cars staying on track and I am certain there would have been a decent pile up of cars if I had just braked and waited it out.

So I successfully make the maneuver, and was happy as a clam because I succeeded in avoiding hitting them while keeping decent speed in the turn, and captured 2nd place while putting some good distance behind me. Yet as soon as I felt the satisfaction of this I see above me on screen: "Return to position 3". I could not believe it.

It was so incredibly exhilarating to experience this, so much fun and I thought to myself "this is what racing is all about!" yet it was all taken away.

My gripe:
    There has to be a way to not have drivers be given penalties in this way. I mean this experience was amazing. Even more so since it was with other real humans in a multiplayer event. It was one of those moments for me where I felt as a "sim racer" that this is what it must feel like to be a real race car driver with your life on the line, cars out of control in front of you and you successfully maneuver out of it and through it. (I am not comparing real life racing to sim racing here)

Anyway I am sure most of you have had this feeling of realness and exhilaration in sim racing. I just hope that one day soon we can have a solution to not penalize a driver for doing the right thing in a situation like this. These unscripted moments in sim racing is part of why we sim race. Its absolutely exhilarating! Penalizing for this just takes a whole lot out of it.
    Last edited by Flat-6; Yesterday at 09:11.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Agreed but wouldn't want to give a pass to those who happily cut the whole chicane, slow down and continue (Saw one like that yesterday on Monza, every lap).
    It's the same problem with safety rating and car contact. The game doesn't assess the violation (maybe it can't).

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by middlemanSI View Post
    Agreed but wouldn't want to give a pass to those who happily cut the whole chicane, slow down and continue (Saw one like that yesterday on Monza, every lap).
    It's the same problem with safety rating and car contact. The game doesn't assess the violation (maybe it can't).
    In this case it should be able to do so, the spinning cars have close to zero speed and/or are facing the wrong direction. The system should be able to detect this and not issue a warning in this case. It's one of those things unique in PCARS2 hat completely ruin racing at times.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: m00lean, MaximusN

Platform
    PC
    I too would be gutted in the ops scenario, but the more complex the "penalty" system is (which will surely be a form of Ai as it will have to assess a situation and make a decision) the more precioous resources will be taken away from other areas. In reality it's a no win situation for SMS as they try to balance out what they want to do and what can be shoehorned into a reasonable spec PC/console. I'm lucky as I only do SP/career so turn all penalties off. I'd like hardware to be less obsessed with a bazillion pixels and see dedicated chipsets for Physics and for Ai. (penalty system would be part of Ai).
    Intel Core i5 3570K @3.80ghz - GTX1060 6gb - 8GB ram - Win 7 64bit - 26"LCD tv 1360x768, dx11 - Fanatec CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals FW756 driver 205
    "something, something, something....darkside"

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    I'd like hardware to be less obsessed with a bazillion pixels and see dedicated chipsets for Physics and for Ai. (penalty system would be part of Ai).
    I'm sure this will come one day. A dedicated deep learning card, which will allow an Ai to assess the races and also, to learn from you as a driver and truly adapt to your driving style.
    Nvidia has the current gen of Volta cards, which would be suited for this kind of operations, but they are insanely expensive and currently, no racing sim would be able to use them.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro
    The following user likes this Post: Leper Messiah