Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia RTX

Platform
    PC
    very encouraging with everything maxed out (since I personally think some settings/effect are unecessary), especially in those terrible conditions.
    Thanks for the feedback.

As you said, unless you play regularly at 4K or use VR, there is not point in even thinking about getting a 2080Ti.
    Other cards have obviously better price/performance ratio, but it means nothing if you can't maintain the target framerate in VR.

I'm still wavering. I definitely need an upgrade (especially with the larger fov headset coming by the end of the year), but I know that it would be wiser to wait for the next gen, especially if it's using 7nm (which should provide a decent boost as every time there was a change in the manufacturing process).
    AMD should be launching a 7nm series next year, but they usually doesn't target the very high end gaming market, and it's obviously too soon for nvidia to announce anything related to the next gen (even if the launch of the Ti model for the get go could mean there would be no "simple" upgrade next year as they usually do ... well it's also due to the fact that they could launch a new gen without any hardware overpowering the previous gen).
    OS: Win10 x64 | CPU: i5 4690K OC@4.4GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 970 AMP! Extreme OC@1500MHz | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 | Controller: Logitech G25 + Nixim mod v2 (brake) | Display: HTC Vive | Sound: Virtual 7.1 Headset | Launch options: none | Visual settings

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTulip View Post
    Got the 2080ti so here are my first experiences. I got it purely for VR purposes, no point to get one for anything else IMHO. But for that purpose it does not seem to fail.

Solid 45 fps (doubled to 90 with ASW) with all details at max at Long Beach in stormy night. 24 car grid and supersampling at 1.4.

I actually had to use performance HUD of the Oculus debug tool to see that it wasn't real 90 fps. Something has evolved in asynchronous space warp, as I didn't see tearing in the usual places. Or maybe that has happened earlier only when you go under 45 (to 35, as it did at least in some point of the development, which looked very ugly).

My old display adapter was Titan X Pascal which is approximately on par with 1080ti, just couple of percent slower. Compared to that the FPS boost in VR seems to be considerable.
    In order to maintain 90fps with my 1070, I have to run 1.2SS, low MSAA, and pretty much low everything else....

But with ASW, my 1070 can run most settings on high and 1.3 SS. (Detailed grass and enhanced mirror are off though)

Comparing ASW settings, (45FPS) the 2080ti doesn't seem like *that* big of a jump.

I wonder if the 2080ti is just missing 90fps lock at max settings where my 1070 is barely over the 45fps mark with high settings.
    Last edited by Twinz; 11-10-2018 at 01:49.
    Steam name: z1nonly
    Windows 10 / 3770k / GTX 1070 / 32gb DDR3 @1333 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Platform
    PC
    A fair test would be to compare in equal conditions (the worst track would be Monaco but I'm not sure the AI would handle that well the track in those perilous conditions ... so Long Beach is probably the closest as an urban track) with the same settings (I wonder if @MrTulip also maxed out grass & mirror). But since we don't have the exact fps number (as I said it's very inconvenient playing without the reprojection failsafe), we can't say were the 2080Ti is between 45-90fps.

There is also the fact that pcars use a proprietary engine, which will hardly implement features for such a limited set of GPU (in case of nvidia 20x0 series : Variable Rate Shading and DLSS) considering the amount of works necessary.
    OS: Win10 x64 | CPU: i5 4690K OC@4.4GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 970 AMP! Extreme OC@1500MHz | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 | Controller: Logitech G25 + Nixim mod v2 (brake) | Display: HTC Vive | Sound: Virtual 7.1 Headset | Launch options: none | Visual settings

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    My wife had nausea issues when she tried PC2 in VR, I considered upgrading the GPU just to hold 90FPS and see if it helped her, but since it's just a matter of turning down the settings to get 90FPS for her to get sim practice, and I am fine with ASW for both practice and game play, I don't think the new GPU money is worth the eye candy.

The game looks pretty good with high settings.
    Steam name: z1nonly
    Windows 10 / 3770k / GTX 1070 / 32gb DDR3 @1333 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Platform
    PC
    Of course, even I am quite satisfied with a mix of low & medium settings (I wouldn't be against a little more in some more area but as I said earlier, I clearly think some visual features are necessary), even if I am constrained to dry weather with my hardware.
    What I meant is, it's not fair to compare between both gpu if you're not using the same settings/conditions.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadows View Post
    A fair test would be to compare in equal conditions (the worst track would be Monaco but I'm not sure the AI would handle that well the track in those perilous conditions ... so Long Beach is probably the closest as an urban track) with the same settings (I wonder if @MrTulip also maxed out grass & mirror). But since we don't have the exact fps number (as I said it's very inconvenient playing without the reprojection failsafe), we can't say were the 2080Ti is between 45-90fps.

There is also the fact that pcars use a proprietary engine, which will hardly implement features for such a limited set of GPU (in case of nvidia 20x0 series : Variable Rate Shading and DLSS) considering the amount of works necessary.
    Yes, I had the mirror and the grass maxed too. I've only disabled the god rays since Oculus Rift has them plenty enough by design.
    MSAA was on High and SS at 1.4 (later settled for 1.3 because it looks better to my eye).

It is difficult to measure stuff in VR. With ASW you tend to notice anything only when the FPS goes under 45, because of the tearing artifacts of ASW become so obvious. So my experiences are subjective to my own system and differences between Titan X Pascal and 2080ti.

I can definitely say that exactly the same conditions the former did not manage constant 45 fps (90 with ASW on) and 2080ti does. It was very clear that day time driving with Titan X Pascal was ok in the rain, even with full details. That and 1080ti are very powerful cards. Sometimes some stutters in the middle of the pack during the first lap. Starts always from the back of the grid of course. Also some stutters when the weather assets are loaded from the disk when the weather changes. (I think. The GPU still has to be very heavily burdened for this to happen so it is not just loading stuff from the disk into memory alone.)

But adding night driving to the mix is what completely shatters the camel's back. Rendering the night time lighting has always been the biggest resource hog in VR in PCARS1 and 2.

Night at Long Beach, lots of particles (rain), full details, big field of cars, and there is no way anything else than 2080ti runs constant 45 fps in PCARS2. And no single graphics card on this planet runs real 90 fps with those details in VR. (I don't think even Volta does.)

Earlier I did test turning off SS but not touching any other details, and I got lots of headroom in rendering according to Oculus performance hud. But not enough for automatic ASW to switch off and drivers go to 90 fps. Briefly turning ASW off manually showed me the frames at 60 - 80 fps, but I didn't follow it long enough to see how stable it was as it was horrible to watch (ASW and its equivalent in Vive really was a game changer in VR).

I'm sure real stable 90 fps stable can be done with lowering settings, and I'll try that in coming weekend. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Intel i7-6900K 3.2@3.7 GHz | Asus X99-A USB3.1 | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia RTX 2080ti | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | SST Lightning H-shifter | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Francisnf, John Hargreaves

Platform
    PS4
    Guess i'll post this here.

Can this pc run pcars 2?
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen...?skuId=5759916
    Live Tracker - Road To 100K km With My P1 GTR - Current Tracker 83023.8/100,000 And 60045.39 Miles Driven With Me Beloved P1 GTR

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTulip View Post
    Yes, I had the mirror and the grass maxed too. I've only disabled the god rays since Oculus Rift has them plenty enough by design.
    MSAA was on High and SS at 1.4 (later settled for 1.3 because it looks better to my eye).

It is difficult to measure stuff in VR. With ASW you tend to notice anything only when the FPS goes under 45, because of the tearing artifacts of ASW become so obvious. So my experiences are subjective to my own system and differences between Titan X Pascal and 2080ti.

I can definitely say that exactly the same conditions the former did not manage constant 45 fps (90 with ASW on) and 2080ti does. It was very clear that day time driving with Titan X Pascal was ok in the rain, even with full details. That and 1080ti are very powerful cards. Sometimes some stutters in the middle of the pack during the first lap. Starts always from the back of the grid of course. Also some stutters when the weather assets are loaded from the disk when the weather changes. (I think. The GPU still has to be very heavily burdened for this to happen so it is not just loading stuff from the disk into memory alone.)

But adding night driving to the mix is what completely shatters the camel's back. Rendering the night time lighting has always been the biggest resource hog in VR in PCARS1 and 2.

Night at Long Beach, lots of particles (rain), full details, big field of cars, and there is no way anything else than 2080ti runs constant 45 fps in PCARS2. And no single graphics card on this planet runs real 90 fps with those details in VR. (I don't think even Volta does.)

Earlier I did test turning off SS but not touching any other details, and I got lots of headroom in rendering according to Oculus performance hud. But not enough for automatic ASW to switch off and drivers go to 90 fps. Briefly turning ASW off manually showed me the frames at 60 - 80 fps, but I didn't follow it long enough to see how stable it was as it was horrible to watch (ASW and its equivalent in Vive really was a game changer in VR).

I'm sure real stable 90 fps stable can be done with lowering settings, and I'll try that in coming weekend. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
    These settings get solid 90 for me any TOD or weather ! Maybe you can just work up from here .
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz(So Far!)/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / McLaren GT3 / CS Universal Hub with magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift / : 2ndLastJedi
    The following 2 users likes this Post: MrTulip, Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikane View Post
    Guess i'll post this here.

Can this pc run pcars 2?
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen...?skuId=5759916
    i would say, yes. But.....

for a new PC for gaming, this is a very low peformance spec thingy.
    if you want to step up with VR in the future, you won't be happy.

don't buy
    System Shuttle SX79 | CPU i7 4930k @ 3.4 GHz | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU GTX1080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1709 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1
    Devil's Core Project Cars Team ( german language )
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/devilscorede/
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/
    STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/devils-core/

The following user likes this Post: Chikane

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    ^^^ yeah and if you are fine with no VR and certainly not max settings, I think you can still get the same configuration much cheaper, depending on where you live.
    The following user likes this Post: Chikane