Thread: Apple Watch Series 4

Platform
    XBOX1 X

Apple Watch Series 4

Does anyone have an Apple Watch and if so, what do you think about it?

I lost my watch (normal watch) in Mexico on holidays earlier this year and I have been holding off to buy a new one to to see if I still miss having one. So yes, I prefer a watch around my arm to check the time instead of always grabbing my iPhone out of my pocket.

The question then is, a normal watch vs an Apple Watch.

Two cons about the Apple Watch I can think about:
    - might look geeky to colleagues at work
    - need to recharge it daily (what a hassle...)
    - Iím not convinced this has to interfere with my iPhone voice calls

Some pros I can think about:
    - integration with iTunes on my phone so I assume I can skip songs via the watch?
    - maybe some other fancy tech or apps that can be handy and I donít know about

As someone who has banned any form of Apple devices for many years I have to say with every new tech device I am more and more moving towards Apple as well. And this all started with a small iPod you can strap around your arm for jogging and listening to music. Eventually iTunes was the reason I dropped my Samsung Galaxy S2 for an iPhone 5S. What I already have running from Apple at the moment:

- Windows PC but with iTunes on it
    - iPhone 6S Plus
    - iPad Pro (+ older iPad 3 for streaming TV programs or use on my sim rig for PCARS Dash)
    - Apple TV streaming box
    - Apple Music subscription
    - Apple Cloud storage subscription (for my photos and videos)

Can this Apple Watch for example also be used as a remote control for Apple TV? That would be a huge benefit as well.
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I have an Apple Watch , mines the 42mm Space Grey first edition .
    Had it about 3 years now and I find it handy and my little girl loves the animated toy story faces and Mickey Mouse .
    It’s good for quick replying to text messages without having to grab your phone , also answering a call without needing to get your phone . I use it when I’m mountain biking plotting my heart data and so on.
    I charge mine at night along with my phone , It becomes pretty normal and doesn’t bother me .

I have various straps now for various occasions also
    The following user likes this Post: breyzipp

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I am a pretty big Apple fan, and have all sorts of Apple stuff. But I don't have iphone nor the watch.

This is only because I use Samsung phone supplied to me by my work, and I don't really need to have a separate, expensive phone. So, I have the Samsung Gear watch. So I'll give you some comments simply as a 'smart-watch' owner, not specifically the Apple Watch.
    - The convenience of having emails, reminders, texts, alarms, etc on the watch is a big convenience. I receive dozens of mails per day (sometimes over 100) and it is so handy to just have a quick glance at the watch to see if it is important, or not. The watch gives a little buzz, I check the screen, and I can instantly tell if I need to then look at the phone and reply. Otherwise, I'd be taking my phone in/out of my pocket all day. I know it sounds silly, but the convenience of this simple little thing, is really nice.
    - Then, on weekends or evenings, I hate to keep my phone in my pocket. I keep it on the desk, and anything that comes through goes to the watch. I don't have to keep checking the phone. I can stay on the sofa (or in the sim-rig....) and if anything comes through, I can quickly check/see what it is on the watch. Also phone calls...... Of course, you need to be in range, which is not very far...
    - I don't use the phone-call feature through the watch often. But I have done it. It works better than I expected. Quite clear, actually. Also for the person on the other end.
    - The health features are really quite nice. I am not so much a health fanatic, but it's amazing how seamless and easy they work. I find myself motivated to walk more (steps) just because the damn thing is now keeping track!!! Also, I have understood my heart-rate is higher than normal.... something I never would have known without the watch. Now.... I'm watching it a bit.
    - It tracks your sleep patterns. Hasn't changed my life, but it's impressive that you can see when you've had a poor sleep (even if you know it).
    - There are a lot of other things and features I just never have used, but I find that just these basic things, are really worth it for me.

For the Apple Watch, I'm pretty sure it can work as a remote for the Apple TV. I'm assuming here, better to do some research on that. But I'm guessing yes.
    Personally, I like the look of the Samsung Gear more than the Apple Watch. Looks a bit more like a classic watch, than a computer screen.

As for battery life, I find that my Samsung can last 2 days. And yes, charging is a bit annoying, but you get into a pattern and it charges pretty quick (at least mine). I wear mine all day, all night, and then just take it off when I wake up and start to get ready for work. By the time I'm showered, dressed, and had a bit of breakfast, it's fully charged. Put it on as I'm walking out the door. Get into this pattern, and all is good.

The only thing I don't like, is that they simply have a limited lifespan. In a few years it will be obsolete. And, for the cost of them (especially one of the nicer ones), you're probably not so far away from a really nice 'classic' watch instead, that would last many, many more years.

Hope it helps. Good luck.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Great replies guys, really good info!

I have done some research and indeed the Apple Watch can be used as a remote for Apple TV. So that’s nice too.

Atak Kat when you write you do more steps because the watch is nagging for it, I think that is something that would work for me as well. I didn’t think about sleep patterns yet but indeed that sounds like interesting info as well. Charging over night is not possible then (since you gotta wear it at night) so it’s either in the morning or in the evening. My mornings are probably the most regular patterns so those would make sense.

Does the battery life on your Samsung watch between charge sessions change a lot depending on how often you use it? I assume a more dimmed and black screen also prolongs battery life?

Absolutely agree that the smart watches become obsolete over time as new models and tech are released compared to a nice classic watch. But I guess the same can be said about a mobile phone as well. Without the popularity of smart phones I guess we would all still have a Nokia 3310 that was over 10 years old now.
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I suspect the Samsung has a bit better battery life than the Apple. Not sure, just going from what friends/colleagues tell me. In general, my perception is Apple is pretty much a daily charge. Samsung I can get away with every 2 days, and sometimes even 3 days.

I get a mountain of mails/texts/reminders (I use it for meeting reminders, etc) passing back and forth to my Samsung Gear all the day. And the battery life is quite good. It is working in the background, not only when you look at it. So when you look at it, the data is there (almost instantly). It's pretty impressive actually.
    I think what drains the battery are:
    - when it is hunting and connecting/disconnecting from your phone too much. Example, if I get on a plane, turn my phone on airplane mode, but forget to turn my watch also on airplane mode, it will keep hunting for the connection and this can drain the battery.
    - if you are using the phone through the watch. I don't do that very often. It's a bit of a James-Bond-ish novelty, but can be handy sometimes.
    - if you are using apps that have a lot of data transfer to/from the watch. Example might be a GPS application where you are getting driving directions or even a map transmitted to the watch in real-time. Sometimes you have to research a particular app before installing it, because some of them are known battery-hogs (lots of user reviews around that will usually give you an idea if it is an issue, or not)
    - I have What'sApp, weather, my heartrate is being read about every 10 minutes. It's tracking steps all the day. With all this, my battery life is decent.
    - If the battery gets really low, it will go into an automatic powersave mode. So it will go to black/white screen, turn off data transfer, etc. Essentially, it just turns itself into a watch. It's only happened to me a couple times, when I've forgotten to charge it after a few days, or once when I was on an airplane for about 24hrs of travel and forgot to put it on airplane mode (example above). So far, never had it fully turn itself off.
    - The screen turns itself off most of the time. It only turns on when you lift it up to look at it (like as if you are checking the time, that's when it comes on.... otherwise it leaves the screen off..... it's 'smart' in this way.... works quite well actually)

The 'health' features are something that I never ever was interested in or thought I would use. But I look at them all the time now. Everything also transfers to the phone, so you can just check everything on the phone which is easier to read and look at graphs, etc.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Great info once again, thanks a lot!

I think I will go buy the watch, it does sound fun and hey I might be pleasantly surprised. When I bought my first iPad I already had an iPhone and laptop and thought I would not use it all that much. Turns out my iPad is my perfect sofa companion (other than a lady ) for when I’m watching TV and it’s hands down my most used Apple device now. I wouldn’t be able to cope without it anymore. I barely use my phone anymore at my living room thanks to the iPad’s bigger screen and much easier to use keyboard. And a laptop is way too big and heavy.

Platform
    PC
    I have no experience with the Apple Watch, but I have had a Samsung Gear S3 Classic for about a year and a half now. It really is a cool gadget to have, even if it is a overglorified and pricey digital watch. One thing that annoys the hell out of me with the Apple Watch is that those 42mm bands are stupid expensive. The S3 uses 22mm bands, so there is more choices, and they are far less expensive. Battery life on the S3 is good enough to use it for a couple of days before it needs to be charged. I also like the rotating bezel. Plus, it even works on iOS if you're so inclined.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs
    The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    And ordered!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A61860A4-F8D2-4A0E-90EE-B863E3895BA2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	260128
    The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat