Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Gloves motion tracking for VR

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1
    Platform
    PC

    Gloves motion tracking for VR

    Hi all.

    Everytime I look into VR experience with racing games, I hope there would be gloves (hands) motion tracking API.

    If this API is developed somehow, third party group will make "VR gloves for project cars" immediately.

    Then VR will be more like AR at least for hands motion.

    Any thoughts?
    The following user likes this Post: DUMBUNNY360


  2. #2
    WMD Member Invincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Near Frankfurt a.M.
    Posts
    3,041
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bumhee34 View Post
    Hi all.

    Everytime I look into VR experience with racing games, I hope there would be gloves (hands) motion tracking API.

    If this API is developed somehow, third party group will make "VR gloves for project cars" immediately.

    Then VR will be more like AR at least for hands motion.

    Any thoughts?
    While the thought of it might be awesome, I see lots of problems with the animation and clipping.
    Because every cockpit in game is different and there is a vast variety of wheels and shifters out there with would be a nightmare to align with the on-screen animation.
    What I mean is: When reaching to your shifter, the hand on screen might either clip elbow deep into the centre console or the hand might end up hovering 20 cm above the stick while still magically moving it.
    Same goes for paddles, knobs and buttons. You would press a button on your wheel which is located on the opposite side on the virtual wheel. So you either have the animation pressing a non-existent button on the screen or your virtual hand would warp to the correct button once you pressed on your actual wheel. Both would look weird.
    Last edited by Invincible; 20-09-2018 at 13:34.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing



    New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

  3. #3
    WMD Member DUMBUNNY360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    While the thought of it might be awesome, I see lots of problems with the animation and clipping.
    Because every cockpit in game is different and there is a vast variety of wheels and shifters out there with would be a nightmare to align with the on-screen animation.
    What I mean is: When reaching to your shifter, the hand on screen might either clip elbow deep into the centre console or the hand might end up hovering 20 cm above the stick while still magically moving it.
    Same goes for paddles, knobs and buttons. You would press a button on your wheel which is located on the opposite side on the virtual wheel. So you either have the animation pressing a non-existent button on the screen or your virtual hand would warp to the correct button once you pressed on your actual wheel. Both would look weird.
    There has to be a solution. This would be a game changer! It should be very similar to a flight simulator. They have hand tracking.
    CPU-Intel I-7 6800k 3.8GHz| RAM-64GB 3800MHz | GPU-EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW 11GB (Driver 397.93) | Audio-Realtek HD audio| OS-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Wheel-Accuforce Pro | Pedals-Protosimtech Pedals | Misc-SimVibe & Simxperience SX3000 Motion Sim | Oculus CV1 | In-game settings: DX12-64bit | 1920x1200 | Texture Resolution HIGH | AF16x | VSync Off | MSAA High | EVMAP Low | Reflections Low | Vehicle Medium | Track Medium | Shadows Low | Motion Blur OFF| Frame ahead 1

  4. #4
    Kart Driver
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    11
    Platform
    PC
    make it more simple, you align the hand with the wheel outside the game and remove all the hands animation ingame. if the shifter is not in the position of the one in game can be adjusted to make it so, also the buttons on the wheel and the padles.

  5. #5
    WMD Member Invincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Near Frankfurt a.M.
    Posts
    3,041
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick86ITA View Post
    make it more simple, you align the hand with the wheel outside the game and remove all the hands animation ingame. if the shifter is not in the position of the one in game can be adjusted to make it so, also the buttons on the wheel and the padles.
    This way you would have to re-assign all the controls and calibrate the shifter position every time you choose a different car...
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing



    New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

  6. #6
    GT5 Pilot inthebagbud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    all over the place like my driving!
    Posts
    1,760
    Platform
    PC
    ACC is trying to mimic this somewhat in that you press a button on your physical wheel the hand will move and look like its turning or pressing a button - which is neat - but the buttons aren't the same ones you press and its not actually carrying out a function.

    I suppose the middle ground is to be able to press buttons in the car - on dash/console which would be a nice touch - not full hand movement but increases the immersion factor
    ]CPU:i7 8700K | RAM:Corsair 16GB 3000MHz | GPU:Asus ROG GTX1080 Ti 11GB | Board:Asus Rog Strix Z370-E | Win 10 x64 |
    SEn:Aut | FF:100 | Sho:100 | Abs:50 | dri:0.03 | For:100 | SPr:100 | dPr:Off | brF:100|
    FFB: JS Low Comp 100|50/60|50/40|25 plus anti jolt | RAW 100/77/30/50 |
    Playseat® Alcantara| Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2, Wheel Rim GT, Pedals V3 ,Shifter SQ

Similar Threads

  1. Sim Racing Gloves or no gloves?
    By dault3883 in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19-07-2017, 08:41
  2. Do you use gloves for Project Cars?
    By tonypbeck in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 16-08-2015, 14:05
  3. Driving gloves?
    By IrideGravity in forum Project CARS on Playstation 4
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 19:49
  4. BMW Driver with Audi Gloves ???
    By MaXKiLLz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 21-05-2015, 18:21
  5. BMW Driver with Audi Gloves ???
    By MaXKiLLz in forum PC - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-05-2015, 08:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •