Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cars setup

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Cars setup

Hey folks, i suck at setting cars up, so i need some advice:
    1. When do you set your cars up? During online events? During career? During practice?
    2. Since i suck, i always ask track engineer, is it enough? (I hope so because iím tired to read guides, I trashed assetto corsa for that reason)
    3. When you save a setup itís only for that track?

Please help me!!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Padwan, (I am not master...)
    The road ahead of you is long and confusing.

Some suggestions:
    . in most cases ( there are exceptions....), offline events the default setups are decent if you have you driving fundamentals OK, and good track knowledge ( assuming you keep the AI less than 80%). Online, I would suggest some setup adjustments if you want to really be competitive........
    - Engineer suggestion, I find, are helpful, but they are really dependent on you realizing and recognizing exactly where you are losing some time (ie. corner entry, mid corner, or corner exit). My experience is that it take some time to understand and realize that. The engineer answers are dependent on you really knowing and understanding what you are observing and asking for.....
    - Setups are save usually track specific. But, you can load any setup you like, even if it is designated for a different track.

-
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    1. Sure i know that driving line and track knowledge are more important than a setup, but as you said, setup helps.
    2. Yeah but i found easier getting what behaviors i gotta fix than going through the jungle of setup parameters!! I just wonder if the engineer suggestions are enough since he doesn’t talk about tyres, alignment and dampers.
    3. I didn’t get, if i save a mercedes gt3 setup in imola i can load that setup for mercedes in brands hatch?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath82 View Post
    Hey folks, i suck at setting cars up, so i need some advice:
    1. When do you set your cars up? During online events? During career? During practice?
    2. Since i suck, i always ask track engineer, is it enough? (I hope so because i’m tired to read guides, I trashed assetto corsa for that reason)
    3. When you save a setup it’s only for that track?

Please help me!!
    1. I create a base setup for all tracks and then if it needs refinement for a specific tracks or set of weather conditions I'll make that setup track-specific. For example, tire pressure settings are always track- and weather-dependent.
    2. I haven't used the engineer much so I can't comment on how good it is. It's probably better than nothing and should at least get you moving in the right direction. I use a tool called PC2Tuner to help with my setups. The default setups aren't terrible but I've found a lot of the suspension settings to be underdamped, which results in a lot of "bouncing" up and down when you hit a bump. I prefer my suspension to be a little short of critically damped (75-85% critically damped). That way there isn't a lot of overshoot but it's very responsive.
    3. You can create a setup for all tracks or for a specific track.

if i save a mercedes gt3 setup in imola i can load that setup for mercedes in brands hatch?
    That's correct. You can load a setup from any track but you can only save a setup for all tracks or the track you're on.

Edit: now that I think about it, that might not be correct. You might be able to save a setup to a different track.
    Last edited by Schnizz58; 20-09-2018 at 21:16.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat

Platform
    PS4
    1. I do like schnizz, make a base and adjust. I'm time limited so every race I do in MP in that car I'll develop it. If I was in a league, I'd probably set the car up offline then hit some MP races to stress test.

2. How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go? There are guys super fast with excellent technique. Part of that time can be recouped from setups. They're not a magic bullet and won't get you the gains that good driving technique and practice will.
    Also, what is your goal? 2HR+ endurance races, TT, MP sprints all have different tuning goals. Tuning is mostly problem solving: how are the tires coping 3/4 into a stint? Not a problem in TT that needs to be solved. How does the car handle wet weather? Not a problem in most MP races...
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for replying, my goal is fixing some car’s behavior that makes me slow, I don’t wanna go through an online championship i just wanna fight for the hot positions, i wanna have good chances to win, I don’t wanna get +7 seconds from the faster and as long as i know that a good driver is gonna be good even with a default setup, an average driver can compensate his lacks with a good setup! That’s my goal! And i need advices from experts like you all, and please don’t say that i should read some guide, this is what i thrashed assetto corsa for, i need some little advice to improve my lap times, and be more competitive in each race. Thanks in advance guys

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Is there some tool for ps4?

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Do you mean Konan the moderator?

Savoury69 - Fanatec CSLE-PS4/McLaren GT3 Rim/ClubSport V3 Pedals - Samsung QE65Q8CNATXXU - Saor Alba
    The following 4 users likes this Post: chickano, hkraft300, Invincible, Schnizz58

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4
    As a new player to racing games myself, I usually create my setups based one the stable setup. Generally speaking, I create one "default profile" adjusting:
    - Tyre pressure
    - Car height
    - Fuel
    - Wheel ratio

For each race I then adjust:
    - Review Tyre & fuel according to race length
    - Gear ratios
    - Anti-roll bars (this has a huge impact on how the car handles)
    - Differential
    - Radiator opening and engine braking

I find that this solves 95% of my car handling issues. Could I squeeze more going through all the settings? Sure, but it would be 10x more time consuming for me to get roughly 2-3% better times.

Platform
    PC
    The PC2Tuner is a Windows desktop program but the setups you get from it can be applied on any platform. However, if you're looking for a silver bullet I don't think this is it and I don't think such a thing exists. To dial in a setup, you have to have at least a basic understanding of what all these parameters do.

My process is like this. Note that I play career almost exclusively so this is what I do when I step into a new class.
    • I use PC2Tuner to get a base setup for springs and dampers. I take the default loose setup and change the springs & damper settings to the ones I developed in PC2Tuner.
    • I save that setup to all tracks and name it Base.
    • I pick a track I'm very familiar with and drive several laps until the tires warm up and the pressures stabilize.
    • I evaluate how the car drives and if it has any obvious flaws. What I'm looking for is balance through the corners. I like my setups to have a responsive turn in, minimal understeer and some power on oversteer on exit.
    • If there is anything major wrong with the balance, I make adjustments and retest. I'm not looking to dial it in at this stage, just trying to get a tune that will work reasonably well on any track.
    • Now I'll go to my first race. During the first part of the practice session, I'm mostly concentrating on getting the tire pressures right. If it's a GT3 car, for example, I know that I want to be around 1.8 bar, give or take about 0.05 bar. I drive 4 - 5 laps, check the pressures and go back to the pits to adjust if I need to. Any changes I make from this point on I save to a track specific setup. The name I give it reflects the temperature, rain/dry and track name. Warm dry Nurb for example.
    • Once the pressures are correct I can start to evaluate how the car drives on this track. Are there any trouble corners? I tend to use the rollbars to adjust front and rear balance. If it's understeering, I may soften the front rollbar. If I'm getting oversteer in mid-corner I may soften the rear. If I have too much oversteer on exit I'll increase the power diff ramps. These are just some examples of changes I might make and this is where it's important to know what to change to correct certain behavior in the car. I don't think there's any way around this.
    • As I'm doing this, I'm also looking at the water and brake temps and adjusting as necessary.
    • Depending on how much time is left in the practice session, I'll usually go back to the pits and fill up the tank. Up until now I've been driving with about 10 laps worth of fuel. Now I'll tank up and see how it feels with all that extra weight.
    • At the next track I may start with this tune if conditions are similar and the track is similar. If not, I go back to the base tune and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sum Dixon-Ear View Post
    Do you mean Konan the moderator?
    Zing!
    Last edited by Schnizz58; 20-09-2018 at 23:33.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2