Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cars setup

Platform
    PS4
    Whether it be using tools like pc2tuner, improving your driving technique, learning to power lift, playing an instrument... there is no quick fix.
    If you don't want to improve your understanding and knowledge of your pursuit, whatever it may be: you will not improve. You trashed asetto because you don't want to read guides... keeping that mentality, you will fail to utilise pc2tuner. You may as well quit now, because you want a quick fix.
    When it comes to learning and/or improving a skill, there is no quick fix.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: Schnizz58

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    [QUOTE=leoff;1541547]As a new player to racing games myself, I usually create my setups based one the stable setup. Generally speaking, I create one "default profile" adjusting:
    - Tyre pressure
    - Car height
    - Fuel
    - Wheel ratio

For each race I then adjust:
    - Review Tyre & fuel according to race length
    - Gear ratios
    - Anti-roll bars (this has a huge impact on how the car handles)
    - Differential
    - Radiator opening and engine braking

I find that this solves 95% of my car handling issues. Could I squeeze more going through all the settings? Sure, but it would be 10x more time consuming for me to get roughly 2-3% better times.[/QUOTE

This could be a good beginning, but i still donít know anything about tyres pressure, car height, differential, and radiators!! Thatís why i just follow the engineerís advices

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Whether it be using tools like pc2tuner, improving your driving technique, learning to power lift, playing an instrument... there is no quick fix.
    If you don't want to improve your understanding and knowledge of your pursuit, whatever it may be: you will not improve. You trashed asetto because you don't want to read guides... keeping that mentality, you will fail to utilise pc2tuner. You may as well quit now, because you want a quick fix.
    When it comes to learning and/or improving a skill, there is no quick fix.
    That’s why I always ask engineer!! I can get if my car brake too late turning in, or if understeers mid corner, but I don’t wanna know why nor wanna go through that jungle. With assetto corsa i read lots of guides and watched thousands videos, but every time I thought to fix something, i ended up to get my car even worse!! When I bought pc2 I thought that the engineer could fix my car without messing up

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    first of all it’s better starting from a stable or loose setup?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath82 View Post
    first of all itís better starting from a stable or loose setup?
    Depends on your driving style and also which inputs you're using. For DS4 I'd go with stable.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA≤ GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    My driving style is a bit aggressive, and i use real driving aids. I have a t150 with 3 pedals and th8a

Platform
    PC
    My driving style is a bit aggressive, and i use real driving aids. I have a t150 with 3 pedals and th8a
    If that's the case, you have to see for each car which base works for you. Take both for a spin and then decide. Some cars nearly require a stable base in order to be driven rather aggressive, some will only slow you down with the stable setup because they understeer like hell in corners and you end up scrubbing your speed off instead of carrying it through the corner.

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA≤ GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    This is exactly what i planned, i go for 2 laps with loose setup, then 2 laps with stable, i see which one works for me and then, if i need, i change some car’s behavior using engineer.
    Thoughts?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Unfortunately the Engineer is not going to be a holy grail for you.
    It works best as a 'support' while you are working with the setup. It assumes you have a fairly good ability to recognize what the car is doing (which is not always so obvious.... in my case, it took me many dozens of hours driving before I really could understand the corner entry/mid/exit behaviours of the car)

There is no easy way on this, but what the others have commented is all good advice. The engineer is definitely helpful and better than having nothing. But it's not a magic button.

- you need to take care of some basics on your own. Tire choice, Tire pressures, and Fuel would be the main things. There are a few great threads in these forums about tire choice and tire pressure. This is not so difficult to figure out or get in the right ballpark, and has probably the most impact on your overall car behaviour.
    - after that, the engineer can help to tune things a bit to give you some better corner behaviour, or gearing, or downforce. It's a decent help, but it is not really interactive. For example, there's no way to tell it 'that didn't work, let's go back to the previous settings and try something else....'. It can't read your mind or understand what your driving style (or skill level) is. Personally I do use it often, because sometimes I get fixated on one part of the setup (roll bars maybe), and forget that there are other things (like ride height? or spring rate?) that can be adjusted to help with my issue. This is where the engineer is good. It helps so you don't get fixated on one thing in the setup.
    - There are advantages to jumping into the dampers world or using the tools mentioned, but it's pretty advanced stuff. Personally, I rarely, if ever, adjust that. I'm not the fastest, but I have fun. My experience is that 95% of the car behaviour you are looking for can be achieved without even touching the default damper settings. Tire Pressure, Tire choice, ride height, roll-bars, spring-rates, and differential. If you just concentrate on those things (I mean learning/understanding what they do, and only adjusting those), you won't really need to adjust much else. Of course that's dependent on the class of cars you drive (example, aero stuff in Indy can be huge factor, and quite complex)

The other alternative is to download someone elses setup from the online leaderboard (or, check out Blinkngone's threads with all sorts of setups there). It's pretty easy and quick, but it can be hit or miss. A fast setup for another person might just cause chaos for you. But it is at least an option to try it might be easier in your case?
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Schnizz58

Platform
    PC
    This is exactly what i planned, i go for 2 laps with loose setup, then 2 laps with stable, i see which one works for me and then, if i need, i change some car’s behavior using engineer.
    Thoughts?
    Two laps won't cut it I'm afraid.
    Choose the track you're most familiar with, so you can concentrate on the car instead of worrying about the track layout.
    Then use private practice. Why? Because you start with cold tires and you have to warm them up. This helps you later controlling the car with not-optimal tire temperatures. Go for at least 5 laps before switching to the other base setup.

The following user likes this Post: hkraft300