Thread: Strange scenery effect - "pop in" of objects

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Strange scenery effect - "pop in" of objects

After finally getting workable handling settings (I'll share on request) for xbox one with gamepad, now I keep seeing this very annoying, unpleasant scenery "pop in" effect, as gamers have called it - for example, I'll drive down a hill, and in an empty yard, Bam! a parked truck suddenly pops into appearance where a second ago was empty grass. Or in the spa francorchamps historic track, a light colored large tree will suddenly instantly transform into a very dark, shaded tree. On all my Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport games, even Project Cars One, I've never seen such large, distracting completely unrealistic instant changes. Many trees along tracks will instantly pop from a light to very dark color, or a new object will noticeably pop into view. I know some small amount of pop in occurs in current technology vid games, but in Project Cars 2 it is way more large, dramatic, distracting than any other race game I have. It makes the game look like an early beta prototype unfinished "work in progress" that was rushed to release before any effective quality testing.
    My guess is there's no way I can get rid of this problem, other than stop playing the game. I did try reducing the field of view, which cuts off much of surrounding scenery (which in return reduces number of things one will see "pop in" to view). Unfortunately, reducing field of view (I use hood/bonnet cam) below 100 also greatly reduces the sense of speed. At 80 fov setting, it looks like you're puttering at 50 mph instead of 185 mph. I also guess that this is such a deeply embedded and extensively pervasive problem (happens many many times each track) that the developers could not create an effective fix/update for this, short of reprogramming the entire graphics of each race. I think part of the problem is, they bit off more than they could chew by making tree leaves lighter and individually visible. Project cars One's trees were all very dark and subdued, so you don't notice sudden weird flashes of a tree suddenly changing from bright to dark.
    Do any developers or ingenius users out there have any thought on this graphics issue?

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Can you take a game DVR recording issue of this and post it here?

Last I heard of someone having this issue. A clean install fixed it.
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    To be honest with a program as dynamic as Project Cars 2 i think it's just a bit of a case of GPU's being quite along way ahead of CPU's in terms of performance. Thankfully the SMS devs haven't scaled back anything physics wise unlike most other developers out there these days so as far as project cars 2 is concerned some minor graphical shortcomings have come to light.

For example, you have all the advanced car physics calculations happening, but not only that, you also have the dynamic time of day ticking over, then the dynamic shadows, self casting shadows, dynamic weather conditions changing, dynamic lighting changing, live track 3 temperatures changing, ambient temperatures changing, tyre flex rates being calculated etc etc and the list goes on, all these things require alot of thinking on the CPU side of things.

So here you have a GPU saying "Hey Mr CPU, I've got 11GB of memory.. so give me absolutely everything and I'll pump it out in Ultra detail no trouble," But the CPU is saying "Will you shut up for a second, I'm still trying to work out where these dynamic shadows are meant to be drawn."

So effectively to allow the CPU to think about the important things (in this case physics) some sacrifices are made elsewhere (art)

Maybe someone can help to elaborate further, but that is in simple terms the way i understand it.
    Last edited by TopAirspace; 22-09-2018 at 09:36.
    Proud owner of the XBOX ONE X

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    The youtube vid below is a good example of what i feel is the imbalance of CPU power versus GPU power these days.

https://youtu.be/FCeEvQ68jY8

You only have to look at how much CPU bound calculus has been scaled back in FarCry5 in comparison to FarCry2 just in order to not have the CPU hold the GPU back from giving us our precious high as possible visuals.

You could sit back and say, Oh wow.. FarCry 5 looks awesome and the developers have done a great job,
    Though in reality you have just been blindsided with eye candy and in fact actually robbed of real substance.
    Last edited by TopAirspace; 22-09-2018 at 04:37.
    Proud owner of the XBOX ONE X

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I watched the same race (spa historic circuit) on someone else's you tube post. There was none of the ragged sudden pop-flash switching of
    trees from light to very dark (crude spazoid dynamic shading attempts). Also, the parked ambulance truck appeared gradually, from behind a house, in his you tube
    game, instead of the entire truck suddenly "popping in" to the scenery like an alien spaceship from another dimension. I use xbox console, not the x version.
    The game developers may not have tested adequately on xbox. Either that, or as another reply suggests above, I have a data-corrupted install. Don't recall if I bought a brand new disc or a preowned one from Amazon; but I notice thumbprints on it now. Maybe I need to uninstall the game, clean the disc well, and reinstall.
    If nobody else notices the spastic sudden changes of shading (entire trees flashing light to dark in a millisecond), and I can't see the issue in you tube posts, maybe my install or disc is the problem. This issue does not occur with my Forza Horizon 3 game, or Motorsport 6, both of which have equal or
    better graphic fine details compared to Project Cars 2. Another effect I hate on PCars 2 is a weird glittering or shimmery effect among tree leaves and
    on road surface sometimes. Maybe it's a poor attempt at showing heat shimmer (I tried to turn all the heat shimmer and annoying "crepescular" sunbeam rays off, as much as I could in visual effects option. Poor attempts at dynamic shading, heat shimmer, and glittering sunbeams is just annoying, worse than nothing. Developers need to spend less time trying to show off annoying visual effects, and more time having numerous smart people carefully visually test the entire game before release and sale.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I would recommend reinstalling the game. Also you can disable effects to your liking. I personally disable glare and heat haze
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****