Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ButtKicker Gamer 2…Connections help needed (PS4 console)

Platform
    PS4

ButtKicker Gamer 2…Connections help needed (PS4 console)

Help. I recently bought a ButtKicker Gamer 2 and need some urgent assistance in getting the necessary connections in order to work via my PS4 console, TV and connected Soundbar which I generally use for surround sound audio output.

Prior to the purchase and following, I was seeking help from a fellow forum member on another forum who promised to help but didn’t follow through. Perhaps he’s too busy I dunno. Following that I contacted ButtKicker Customer Support and though we’ve been exchanging emails with him making suggestions so far we’ve not been successful in getting the transducer/vibrations to come through. So I’m reaching out to users here, hopefully with similar setups and accessories who may have the experience to help.

My accessories are as follows:
    • Sony Bravia (KDL 40W600B) LED 40” Smart TV
    • LG (SH5) 320w Soundbar WITH WIRELESS SUB (Ports are Digital Optical and HDMI. No Analog RCA L/R)
    • Harman/Kardon A/V Receiver
    • Sony PS4 console
    • Sony Playstation Gold Wireless headset

—->TV and PS4 console are each currently connected via HDMI to A/V Receiver’s HDMI
    —->LG Soundbar is connected via Digital Optical to back of TV’s Digital Audio Out (Optical)

I generally watch TV and play racing sim (Pcars 2 and/or other games via PS4) with audio coming through the Soundbar which is my preference. I only use the wireless headphones while gaming online at night. So ideally I’d like to have the benefit of audio generally coming through the Soundbar while getting the ButtKicker’s transducer vibrations via the BkGamer2’s amp through its clamp attachment to the chair. That’s my primary concern right now. Later on we can figure out use with whichever headsets.

The accompanying diagram with notations serve as a reference to the provided ButtKicker Gamer 2 and its accessories to the right.
    To the left are additional accessories I’ve already purchased and connected (Optical Splitter: 1 in, 2 out), Optical to Analog RCA L/R Converter.
    I’ve also purchased an HDMI-Optical-RCA Audio Extractor Splitter Converter Adapter….(Seen at bottom left…This I have not yet connected).
    The open RCA L/R connections from the BkG2 amp and device to which to connect remains a mystery.**

**EDIT: (Additional cable): BTW, I've also purchased a 6' RCA analog L/R cable (2 male on one side and 2 male on other side of cable). This was to connect from the RCA females of the Optical to RCA Converter to the open RCA females at the back of the ButtKicker amp, hopefully to get connection to both for signal. I'd bought this when I was confused as to which of the BkG2's provided cables to use to make that connection. Had made that connection but still no joy. The customer service guy had since told me which of the provided cables to use for doing same but that didn't work either as the amp was still not receiving signal in order to vibrate.
    In any case I have this cable in case needed.

I have perused a multitude of forums and threads on the topic but the majority of users are either PC with different connections, Xbox, some who just want to use headphones, some who don’t have Soundbars for home theatre audio etc etc…and some whose sugessions are hard to follow for the less technically experienced. The BkG2 User/Guidelines Manuals also leaves a lot to be desired as evidenced from many users.

I’m in dire need of assistance so please help if you can. I really want to get this thing up and running.

Here’s the accompanying diagram with notations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ButtKicker Gamer 2 plus accessories_with markup_2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	260406
    Last edited by davidt33; 23-09-2018 at 11:00.
    PS4. Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals. PSN ID: davidtsmith333

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    @davidt33. Im not an expert,and don't have any buttkicker stuff.
    But if I understand, you are basically taking the sound output from the TV (optical). Did you try to connect it to the optical output on the back of the PS4 directly? (instead of splitting the signal).

How are you getting the audio signal into the BK2 amp. I assume you are running an rca cord from the back of the optical/rca converter-> white input on back of BK amp? (it's pretty obvious, but I don't see it indicated in your detailed drawing, and this sentence below makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    The open RCA L/R connections from the BkG2 amp and device to which to connect remains a mystery.[FONT=Helvetica]
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Atak Kat View Post
    @davidt33. Im not an expert,and don't have any buttkicker stuff.
    But if I understand, you are basically taking the sound output from the TV (optical). Did you try to connect it to the optical output on the back of the PS4 directly? (instead of splitting the signal).

How are you getting the audio signal into the BK2 amp. I assume you are running an rca cord from the back of the optical/rca converter-> white input on back of BkG2 amp? (it's pretty obvious, but I don't see it indicated in your detailed drawing, and this sentence below makes me wonder.
    Yes Atak, I am taking the sound from the TV which is connected to the Soundbar for benefit of it's audio (Optical to Optical). That's how they were connected prior to getting the BkG2 and still is. The BkG2 customer service guy in assessing the audio setup had advised to get the "Optical Splitter" (1 in, 2 out) to connect at the back of the TV's Optical so I could then have the two additional female Optical ports available....one to connect an Optical cord for the TV and the other to connect the "Optical to Analog RCA L/R Converter" to which was then to connect the Soundbar's Optical (as seen in diagram) and also the RCA cable/s from there to the back of the open RCA ports of the BkG2's amp. Did that but no joy.

I have not yet tried connecting it to the optical output on the back of the PS4 directly. This was because the customer service guy, having reviewed my setup, had advised me to run the connections as described above.
    Last edited by davidt33; 23-09-2018 at 11:46.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Are you connecting two RCA cables from the converter to the back of the BK amp?
    Again, not expert, but I think you are only supposed to connect one. I'm guessing:
    - you probably just connect the white RCA port on the converter to the white RCA port on the BK2 amp. If don't think the red ones should be connected?

So you have (in order, I guess):
    PS4 connected to your A/V receiver with HDMI.
    A/V receiver connected to the TV with HDMI.
    Spitter on the optical out port on the TV.
    - one of the leads is then connected to the sound bar (optical cable). Does that work? Is the sound going to your sound bar ok when the splitter is connected?
    - second lead is connected to the converter (optical cable).
    Converter is connected to the back of the BK2 amp (RCA cables). both the red and white ports? or just white? I think you just connect the white one (the red one on the back of the BK2 amp looks like it's an 'output', not an input...

Dumb question... (sorry), have you got the converter plugged in and powered on?

Just a separate question as well. Is your A/V receiver able to operate the HDMI pass through at 60hz? I just mention this because I was doing some research on various A/V receivers that have the HDMI pass through (like you are using) and I found that many of them just send the output at 30hz, instead of 60hz. And that basically means you would be getting 30fps in you gaming, instead of 60fps. (I believe). If you're not sure, you might want to check the specs on your A/V receiver. If it is limiting it to 30hz, then you might want to connect the PS4 direct to the TV instead because that would pretty surely keep 60hz.

Platform
    PS4
    Are you connecting two RCA cables from the converter to the back of the BK amp?
    Again, not expert, but I think you are only supposed to connect one. I'm guessing:
    - you probably just connect the white RCA port on the converter to the white RCA port on the BK2 amp. If don't think the red ones should be connected?

So you have (in order, I guess):
    PS4 connected to your A/V receiver with HDMI.
    A/V receiver connected to the TV with HDMI.
    Spitter on the optical out port on the TV.
    - one of the leads is then connected to the sound bar (optical cable). Does that work? Is the sound going to your sound bar ok when the splitter is connected?
    - second lead is connected to the converter (optical cable).
    Converter is connected to the back of the BK2 amp (RCA cables). both the red and white ports? or just white? I think you just connect the white one (the red one on the back of the BK2 amp looks like it's an 'output', not an input...

Dumb question... (sorry), have you got the converter plugged in and powered on?

Just a separate question as well. Is your A/V receiver able to operate the HDMI pass through at 60hz? I just mention this because I was doing some research on various A/V receivers that have the HDMI pass through (like you are using) and I found that many of them just send the output at 30hz, instead of 60hz. And that basically means you would be getting 30fps in you gaming, instead of 60fps. (I believe). If you're not sure, you might want to check the specs on your A/V receiver. If it is limiting it to 30hz, then you might want to connect the PS4 direct to the TV instead because that would pretty surely keep 60hz.
    Re: "Are you connecting two RCA cables from the converter to the back of the BK amp?"
    ....Yup, I first tried connecting both RCAs to each. No joy. I then unplugged one each leaving a single connection. Still no joy. Can't remember if I left white to white or red to red though. Maybe I should try it again.

Re: "So you have (in order, I guess)....
    "PS4 connected to your A/V receiver with HDMI." - Yup
    "A/V receiver connected to the TV with HDMI." - Yup
    "Spitter on the optical out port on the TV." - Yup
    "- one of the leads is then connected to the sound bar (optical cable). Does that work? Is the sound going to your sound bar ok when the splitter is connected?" - Yup
    "- second lead is connected to the converter (optical cable)." - Yup
    "Converter is connected to the back of the BK2 amp (RCA cables)" - Yup

Re: "Dumb question... (sorry), have you got the converter plugged in and powered on?" - Yup
    Re: "
    Just a separate question as well. Is your A/V receiver able to operate the HDMI pass through at 60hz?....." - All I know is that I don't get any lagging re fps etc so I guess it's capable of whatever.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Try just the white connection from the converter to the BK amp. Only one RCA cable (to the white ports)
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Platform
    PS4
    Try just the white connection from the converter to the BK amp. Only one RCA cable (to the white ports)
    Will try it bro. Keeping fingers crossed.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    If you are getting the sound through the sound bar, then the issue is somehow between that splitter and the BK2.
    Assuming the optical cable from the splitter to the converter is good, then the next step I think would be to make sure the converter is setup correct. Some other things to check (I found your converter online):
    - make sure the input is selected to Toslink. Not Coaxial.
    - make sure it's not on mute.....
    - make sure the volume is up. Looks like it's all digital so it might not be obvious how loud the volume is. Turn it up...
    - I would suggest to plug a pair of wired headphones into the back of the converter (the aux port). And just check if there is sound coming out there.

Good luck. Will keep trying to offer suggestions. Hopefully it works soon!!! Let me know what you find next.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    Will try it bro. Keeping fingers crossed.
    Ok just tried it. Still no joy. The "Signal" LED on the front of the BkG2 amp that's supposed to light up/blink green when it's receiving signal from whatever is still not lighting up. So somehow it seems it's still not yet receiving the signal for vibration as needed for transference to its clamped mechanism attached to the chair.

Platform
    PS4
    Re: "If you are getting the sound through the sound bar, then the issue is somehow between that splitter and the BK2.
    Assuming the optical cable from the splitter to the converter is good, then the next step I think would be to make sure the converter is setup correct."
    .....Yeah we (between the CSR and a colleague of mine) did previously check, through a series of tests, both the "Optical 1 in 2 out Splitter" and "Optical to Analog/RCA Converter" to see if they were working and not defective, and they both are working as should.
    Through another separate test (cellphone direct to amp connection) we also tested to see if the BkG2's amp was capable of receiving signal/sending vibration to clamped mechanism also and this proved successful. So the amp is also not defective.

Some other things to check (I found your converter online):
    "- make sure the input is selected to Toslink. Not Coaxial." - It is selected to Toslink as indicated by it's LED indicator
    "- make sure it's not on mute....." - It's not on Mute. Checked for that previously
    "- make sure the volume is up. Looks like it's all digital so it might not be obvious how loud the volume is. Turn it up..." - Had that turned up. Might try turning it up more though next try.
    "- I would suggest to plug a pair of wired headphones into the back of the converter (the aux port). And just check if there is sound coming out there." - Don't have wired headphones but have wired ear plugs. Can I use that to check?

Good luck. Will keep trying to offer suggestions. Hopefully it works soon!!! Let me know what you find next.

BTW, thanks for trying to help Atak.
    David.