Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: R-Seat Evo V3 died before my CSPv2 loadcell did.

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebagbud View Post
    Thank you for the reply and why why did you mention motion rig......this was on my roadmap in a couple of years but you have shown me how to introduce into a rig that I can use now and upgrade later so now I need to be strong enough to stick with my roadmap ........ like that's going to happen

Downside I notice the motion is a build project , so maybe time to call in the build favours I have from my son

I have already ordered the podium wheel but I have been really good this year and fully deserve the presents Santa will bring me...... now where is my pen and paper to write that letter
    I just ordered the rig when the guy posted those videos. For me I calmed down when I looked at the price for the servo motors alone, and than you still need the profile and other bits. Let alone that I don't have a 3D printer yet, and it takes 2 weeks to print all the parts on a single printer running 24/7.
    So it will at least cost 1500 euro I roughly guessed looking at a few big parts for the project. So yeah, that figure calmed me down a bit.

Dear Santa, I know you are busy and so I won't ask much. Can you just give me a porcelain piggy with 2000 euro in it for its guts?
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

Platform
    PC
    I just thought of another way to use the wheel deck.
    If you use 3 knobs with m6 tread to fasten the wheel than you can quickly remove it and us the surface to put a joystick on there.

The only thing is, you might want to use different fasteners than bolts for the wheel deck itself. So you can more easily adjust angle and height.

The construction of these plastic knobs will determine how tightly you can tighten them down. Weak plastic might fail on you after all.

Edit:
    I mean instead of plastic knobs you can use these metal knurled thumb screws for example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thumb-Screws-High-Type-DIN-464-in-A1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	260884
    Last edited by Christiaan van Beilen; 03-10-2018 at 10:03.
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

Platform
    PC
    I would be interested to hear your thoughts once you receive the rig.

With my dd due the discussion has made me think about rigidity as the forces, which I hadn't appreciated will be considerably more than my csw. Currently I have a playseat rig which I am more than happy with but is it going to be stable enough?

One point that is stopping me pressing ahead is the aesthetics, i like to have a rig that looks the business and adds to the overall feel and the p1 is just a little to industrial looking , granted the black edition really helps in this regard but another 200 euros seems a little steep.

As they say there is no accounting for taste but I don't want to buy something and every time I use it think h'mm
    ]CPU:i7 8700K | RAM:Corsair 16GB 3000MHz | GPU:Asus ROG GTX1080 Ti 11GB | Board:Asus Rog Strix Z370-E | Win 10 x64 |
    SEn:Aut | FF:100 | Sho:100 | Abs:50 | dri:0.03 | For:100 | SPr:100 | dPr:Off | brF:100|
    FFB: JS Low Comp 100|50/60|50/40|25 plus anti jolt | RAW 100/77/30/50 |
    PlayseatŪ Alcantara| Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2, Wheel Rim GT, Pedals V3 ,Shifter SQ

Platform
    PC
    I would be interested to hear your thoughts once you receive the rig.

With my dd due the discussion has made me think about rigidity as the forces, which I hadn't appreciated will be considerably more than my csw. Currently I have a playseat rig which I am more than happy with but is it going to be stable enough?

One point that is stopping me pressing ahead is the aesthetics, i like to have a rig that looks the business and adds to the overall feel and the p1 is just a little to industrial looking , granted the black edition really helps in this regard but another 200 euros seems a little steep.

As they say there is no accounting for taste but I don't want to buy something and every time I use it think h'mm
    Can I be honest? I always nagged about my rSeat already flexing under stress of the first Clubsport Wheel, but this had a C shaped frame for the wheel. That meant getting in and out was easy but there was play in there simply due to the design of it.

Personally my suggestion would be to simply get the Podium base and mount it and see. If it flexes you can save up money for whatever you want, if it doesn't... it's a win and it won't cost you extra money for a new rig.

As far as aesthetics and "looking the business" and the P1 being "industry". Well, industry is business and so it fits the bill. If you want aesthetics... simply get the Fanatec Rennsport v2 rig which has the same aesthetics as the other Fanatec products, so you get quite a nice looking package at the end of the day.

Anyway, tastes differ from person to person. If you're in doubt now than I suggest you look for something more appealing to you, or at least don't pull the trigger unless you're hundred procent satisfied and sure that you want it. You can only spend the money once after all, besides often a female counterpart would start to grumble if you spend money for the same thing twice because you're not satisfied.

So if you just get the Podium base first and see how it fairs on that playseat of yours than you also know how strong of a rig you might need. Besides, you can always dial down the FFB strength to levels the playseat can handle until you've gotten a better rig. Plus if you can show the missus/girlfriend the issue with the Podium base on that rig she'll be more open to you spending money on a new rig.

Platform
    PC
    *sigh* A lead time between 10 and 15 working days they said. I will manage... or so I thought. Only to find out I am getting withdrawal symptoms from racing. My right foot is throttling all the time, and if I try to stop that it does these heel and toe ticks for some reason while suddenly my right arm does these downshift motions.

Is there a cure?

To be serious for a bit. You know how you get all nostalgic about your youth and how you waited for the day you could open packages during the holidays?
    Well, let me tell you that nostalgia is a hell of lie because I am remembering really well now how that waiting felt.

*grumbles* when is it coming here already, Sim-Lab? *grumbles*

Platform
    PC
    I'm sure we are all feeling your pain.

I eagerly await your feedback as your words of reason in previous post made me stop and think and I am still undecided which way to go
    ]CPU:i7 8700K | RAM:Corsair 16GB 3000MHz | GPU:Asus ROG GTX1080 Ti 11GB | Board:Asus Rog Strix Z370-E | Win 10 x64 |
    SEn:Aut | FF:100 | Sho:100 | Abs:50 | dri:0.03 | For:100 | SPr:100 | dPr:Off | brF:100|
    PlayseatŪ Alcantara| Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2, Wheel Rim GT, Pedals V3 ,Shifter SQ

Platform
    PC
    I'm sure we are all feeling your pain.

I eagerly await your feedback as your words of reason in previous post made me stop and think and I am still undecided which way to go
    Just wanted to put some humor to it and inform you and others that I am still awaiting the goodies.
    I mean, it isn't like I am secretly enjoying the new stuff and forgetting all about it.

Mind to give you a tip or two when you do go for it?

1. Assemble the pedal tray first. Reason being that you won't have to disassemble the seat supports because you mistakenly used the threaded pieces there, which you thus would need for the pedal tray.

2. Assemble the seat supports than use these to aid in helping set the distance between the cross members of the bottom framework as you build that portion next.

3. Don't forget to attach the rubber feet or casters first before you start building up the rest of the rig. It'll be a pain to tip a 55 kilogram weighing rig just to mount them as the last bits.

Those are the two/three things I see people mess with when they start their builds on YouTube at least. The treaded bits and the right distance for those crossmembers under the seat. The rest is pretty straight forward it seems.

Platform
    PC
    Wooohooo, being shipped today. I will have to wait for UPS update, but basically all orders are next day delivery in our tiny country albeit not necessarily delivered on Saturdays by default.

Christmas is coming!

Platform
    PC
    So I build the rig... already on Monday. Lots of stuff came in between like appointments, having replaced some light fixtures and installed at first some Ikea Tradfri but than soon realized Philips Hue was the better choice due to wider compatibility... more responsive lights and them being full color.

Anyhow... the Sim-Lab P1 chassis.

It came in between 2 and 3 PM on Monday. I thus set to unboxing and first thing I noticed were metal shavings, but since Sim-Lab is understaffed and doesn't have someone to clean the things up... I forgive them. So I just grabbed the vacuum cleaner and set to cleaning each part individually and laying them out whilst in the process of doing so.
    At this point I did note a few blemishes on the aluminium extrusion, at which point I thought back to you inthebagbud. This is definitely industrial grade stuff and it won't look 100% perfect, or at least mine wasn't. It is sturdy as hell though once everything is together and I don't really notice the beauty marks anymore.

All in all with dinner and a coffee break in between it took me literally the rest of the afternoon and evening to put everything together. I think I finally got seated at around 11 PM. I did have an issue with fitting my seat onto the slider, my rSeat seat was MUCH too wide. The slider can fit between 320-420 millimeters wide of seat... the rSeat one I found out was 450 millimeters wide. BUMMER! So I had to fit it to the extrusion and found out that the seat was sitting just a bit too low, whilst having it in the highest position on the Sim-Lab sold bucket seat brackets (both the slider and bracket seem to be Sparco parts by the way).

When I finally mounted my CSWv2, CSPv2 and CSS-SQ v1.5 I went for a quick drive that night. Again, for my liking the seat position is just too low. If I have to make a comparison... if anyone of you ever went kayaking than the position almost feels like that. The pedals are almost at the same height as the the chair, in fact the top of my throttle pedal on the CSPv2 is sticking out 2 centimeters above the top of the front side bottom portion of the seat. The seat being in its highest position. So with casters off of the ground the CSPv2 throttle measures 53 centimeters at the top and my rSeat seat sits at 51 centimeters.
    In short... it's more an Formula or LMP style position than a GT style position in my opinion. Or maybe it's me just being too used to the quite high position of normal car seats as fitted in the BMW E46 3-series.

All the negatives behind me I must say that I love it. The wheel deck is really sturdy and the frame doesn't bend, and also the frame suprisingly despite it being so sturdy transmits vibrations really well. As in REALLY WELL... cause I have Fanaleds doing an engine vibration effect through the steering wheel vibration motors that Fanatec has and it can be felt in the entire rig.
    The wheel deck being so sturdy is another big plus. My old rSeat RS Evo had a C frame with a pedal deck with flexible joint in the middle... it had a lot of flex in hindsight. To the point where my hands got tired trying to hold onto the wheel whilst doing a couple of laps. I could feel the feedback quite a bit better, especially the road undulations that put more of a constant strain through the wheel seem to have become more clear (as in the difference in dynamic range between having a loaded tyre and unloaded tyre). I think previously with the old rig the amount of flex I had was just damping that out a lot.

Also the floating pedal deck of my rSeat... I never knew how much that thing was flexing until now. My current pedals haven't moved at all and modulating the brakes has become easier.
    Just an odd ball thing to note but I noticed that for some reason I found it easier to clip the apex in this rig and I am still puzzled as to why, the only reason I can think of is that everything is less vague in terms of input and feedback from and to the wheel and pedals due to zero flex in this entire rig.
    Although the issue I have now is that the rig feels so solid that it feels dead, while in a real car you vibrate and move about. I have buttkickers but not yet mounted and this really makes me drool and dream about motion. Sim racing... it's one expensive hobby. lol

That said, I used Tuesday and Wednesday to set the rig up the way I wanted it. Measured out my gear shifter position in my BMW and put my CSS in the right position, stuff like that. So it drives not too different from what I am used to, at least it's second nature grabbing for the gear knob with the Vive on now. I had it initially positioned too high and too far off to my right, which was totally awkward and unnatural.

Whilst the build and setup took a while, also due to setting up the other stuff and having to do things in between, it wasn't really complicated. It's just a matter of going at it one by one. Although I think it would be nice if Sim-Lab made a step-by-step build manual for those who easily get lost, especially since there are a lot of bits that come with the rig.

I can't say much more though as I just didn't have much time to put enough seat time in yet.

What I can recommend to any buyer of this rig:

Firstly order the extra set of casters. It's really hard to move the rig as it's a beast in the weight department, especially with your gear fitted. I mean, you've got to clean under the rig sometime. Plus with the casters you get a little more clearance on the height adjustment of the side-mount of your shifter. I initially had it set as low as possible in the sense that the rear support bar was flush at the bottom with the rest of the framework, but I wanted to mount my shifter closer towards my chair and thus had to mount it on top of the side-mount. Doing that meant it would sit too high, so I lowered the side-mount by 5 centimeters to just above the floor (I think there's about 3 to 5 millimeter left at most). Now I have my shifter where I wanted it.

Secondly my recommendation would be to get at least 10 cable management clips. You can twist these into the aluminium profile's slots and put a zip tie through them, or you could do what I did and use 5 millimeter wide cable management Velcro. Like this stuff that can be simply cut to length with some scissors: https://www.tesa.com/en/consumer/tes...universal.html

Third... order the sliders if you can because it'll be so much easier to hoist yourself in and out of the rig. Although do not make the same mistake I did and forget to measure up your seat's width and see if the slider is compatible or not.

With that said I want to finish with stressing that it really is an industrial looking machine but it gets the job done like no other. If you mind aesthetics, ease of install (as in everything is included in the box and basically plug&play with a good assembly manual) and really can't stand a few blemishes or the fact like in my case... that it still had aluminium cutting chips in and on the stuff; just look further and get an rSeat or something similar. In the end it is more expensive and less modular but the work is done for you before hand and you just need to follow a few simple instructions to adapt any add-on module to your rSeat.
    I am quite happy with what I have now and I know I can expand upon it in multiple ways and in the way I desire to do so, and not how the company that made my rig wants it be like. That said, it requires some creative thinking and that's maybe not for someone who just wishes to have ease in gaming let's say. Either way is not a bad way.

Like with a lot of things it's a you get what you pay for deal. These aluminium profiles aren't cheap by any means and are at least worth half of the rig's price, at to that the corner brackets, the custom made parts (wheel deck, pedal deck side arms, mounting plates for the uprights and side-mount) and not to forget that you get a full bag of 100 of these sliding nuts M8 and quite a bunch of M6 I believe it was, plus all the bolts/screws you need and extra. If you try to fill up the card with all the parts at Motedis you'll be surprised at how much it all costs.

For me this is a keeper and definitely a rig for life.

The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat

Platform
    PC
    Christiaan

Thanks for the feedback , I had visited thread a couple of hours before your post wondering how you had got on. Your observations are pretty much what I have read about from others https://youtu.be/G6wy7NRZ7ts and https://youtu.be/taH06xCc2hA youtube from ragingbeard comments on the pedal issue and provides a way to lower the pedal deck which you may find useful

I am still undecided which route to go and have put my expansion on hold until i can rationlise why i cannot make a choice or until the podium dd doesn't work with my playseat and I'm forced to upgrade at which point I can convince myself it is a must upgrade rather than a desirable upgrade.

In my research I must say I liked the look of using the next level motion v3 on the p1 and mascot on race department shows a build with this. The N3 ranges from 2200 to 2700 pounds but I did find it on Amazon UK for 2000

Many thanks again for providing your thoughts
    The following user likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen