Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual vs Automatic Tranmission

Platform
    PC

Manual vs Automatic Tranmission

Hi, I'm new to sim racing games, and was wondering how much of a difference Manual vs Automatic makes in competitive play, and if Automatic is viable at all. I prefer the ease of Automatic, but if it makes a huge difference against decent opponents, I might have to get used to Manual, thanks.

Platform
    PC
    Well, the gearbox doesn't get broken and with some cars you're faster to change gears by yourself.

I still prefer the manual if you have the shifter to do a job. It's more entertaining
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, rocho

Platform
    PC

Quote Originally Posted by attaGee View Post
    Well, the gearbox doesn't get broken and with some cars you're faster to change gears by yourself.

I still prefer the manual if you have the shifter to do a job. It's more entertaining
    Thanks for the advice.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Manual, whether sequential or stick give you better control. Auto does not always pick the best gear for a corner and prevents you selecting a different gear from time to time to balance the car little better.
    PS4 Pro - T300 Alcantara - T3PA - TH8A - Wheel Stand Pro
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    Manual every day of the week. If you use automatic it removes the ability to short shift to prevent wheelspin.
    Gigabyte Z270X Motherboard, Intel I7 7700K CPU @ 4.5gHz, 16GB 3000 MHz RAM, Geforce GTX 1080Ti GPU.
    Oculus Rift, Logitech G29 wheel.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: racesafegrandad, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    I've used manual exclusively for years now. I use whatever shifting method the car has, whether that be a manual, sequential, or paddles.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs
    The following 2 users likes this Post: poirqc, Reiche

Keena
    I learned how to heel and toe using manual on the formula rookie. It definately made me faster by a significant amount. It took me a while to build up the competency and some adjustment of pedal sensitivities (my pedals meant that i couldnt easily depress the brake all the way and still easily blip the throttle so i adjusted brake pedal to be more sensitive). Itll feel very strange at first and if you are like me youll absolutely rag the engine but its very rewarding to master. Youll feel like a one armed wallpaper hanger at times though..

Edit- read and follow advice in the post below too!
    Last edited by Keena; 06-10-2018 at 13:38.
    The following user likes this Post: warth0g

Platform
    PS4
    If you really prefer automatic, then of course feel free to use it. But there are advantages, as has been stated by previous posters, to going manual. But there are essentially two different options, manual gears and manual clutch. If you’re just starting out then leave the clutch on automatic and just shift the gears manually, would be my advice. This is pretty easy to get used to, but might take a couple of races to get down. Most wheels will have the flappy paddles to shift with, which work just fine. So start with manual, sequential gears, ignore manual clutch for now, and it will be second nature in no time. You can get fancy with manual clutch and H pattern shifting later, no hurry.
    Fast is a frame of mind. Unfortunately, so is slow.

PS4 - Fanatec CSL Elite - Fanatec HQ Shifter - Fanatec ClubSport V3 Pedals - Obutto Revolution
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Schnizz58

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Just a small note, even if you use automatic, you can still use the flaps (or whatever buttons assigned) to still shift manually, when you want to.
    The following user likes this Post: Chikane

Platform
    PC
    you can, but when the automatic decides to shift earlier as you want you have the a..card.
    If it desides to shift 1/100s before you do manually, you'll get 2 gears up or down.
    So not a good decission.
    Every car could be a race car, as long as you have the balls to drive it like that !

System Shuttle SX79 | CPU i7 4930k @ 3.4 GHz | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU GTX1080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1709 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1
    Devil's Core Project Cars Team ( german language )
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/devilscorede/
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/
    STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/devils-core/

The following user likes this Post: cpcdem