Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manual vs Automatic Tranmission

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    I learned how to heel and toe using manual on the formula rookie. It definately made me faster by a significant amount. It took me a while to build up the competency and some adjustment of pedal sensitivities (my pedals meant that i couldnt easily depress the brake all the way and still easily blip the throttle so i adjusted brake pedal to be more sensitive). Itll feel very strange at first and if you are like me youll absolutely rag the engine but its very rewarding to master. Youll feel like a one armed wallpaper hanger at times though..

Edit- read and follow advice in the post below too!
    Try heel/toe with the Formula Ford Lotus. That car will refine your technique.
    Gigabyte Z270X Motherboard, Intel I7 7700K CPU @ 4.5gHz, 16GB 3000 MHz RAM, Geforce GTX 1080Ti GPU.
    Oculus Rift, Logitech G29 wheel.
    The following user likes this Post:

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Manual for me, I just got my g920 shifter today and I am having fun with it with the Mustang GT4. I use the clutch on upshifts, and blip the throttle on downshifts to rev match, it's a challenge but a lot of fun.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    manual gears for me all the time. i sometimes even forget that a car has sequential shifting with paddles. i once reallised at lap 8 out of 10 that i was shifting my car "h-pattern-with-clutch" style, even thou it was an paddle-shifting car....it didn't even hurt my times, surprisingly

and regarding automatic clutch: if you have a physical pedal for clutch, i recommend using it at least for the starts. it must be one of the reasons it's quite easy for me to gain some positions at every start. i think a lot of people are using automatic clutch and loosing some miliseconds every start because of it....
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    for me always manual, when you are used to it you probably never go back.
    PS4 ID: Djuvinile
    T300rs/F1-Rim/TH8A/Playseat Challenge/T3PA/
    Crew Chief/ RS Dash
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    You may forget to shift down in breaking or forget to shift up in acceleration (if its lots going on) but you get over that in a day or two and from there is just benefits of selecting what gear you want to be in yourself...

You might not want stay in a gear a bit longer (corners close to each other) or you may want to short shift if the grip is poor...

Its also gets easier after a while when you know what gear you can runt through a corner...
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Vic Flange

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I would add that it makes the game more immersive to me, I race motorcycles and I find myself planning each corner like I would racing in rear life. Rather than hitting a button and looking behind me, and then banging down gears with the paddles. Now I am less concerned with what's going on behind me and more into getting the car stopped and through the gears cleanly. It's a challenge but hugely rewarding way of racing.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Manual. It's just faster even with a controller. You have so much more controll with manual gears over the car.

Platform
    PC
    If you're worried about getting used to shifting, in my case that happened very quickly. I started out with auto and switched to manual after a couple of weeks. At first there were cases where I was over- or under-revving the engine but it soon became second nature. Now I don't even think about it.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by zoziano View Post
    Why are everybody hating manual or automatic it just a tranmission
    Its not hating, anyone who prefers automatic over manual should do so as they wish. But the OP asked for the difference in competitive play between the 2 options.
    And manual just makes you quicker in the end and gives you more control over the car (as most of us stated) plus there's a higher level of immersion if using a wheel.
    PS4 ID: Djuvinile
    T300rs/F1-Rim/TH8A/Playseat Challenge/T3PA/
    Crew Chief/ RS Dash
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Pekka Salminen, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    I typically play with a logitech g920 wheel and 6 speed shifter. It just feels so good grabbing a gear! On the off chance I am playing with a xbox controller automatic all the way. I feel i'm at a big disadvantage trying to shift with that thing. But that is just me.