Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenWeather [Testing]: A proposal to fix weather issues

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_belowski View Post
    looks like this isn't going to work as well as we'd hoped. The game will ask for the weather data at the start of a session but doesn't request any more data for at least an hour (not tested it beyond 1 hour). As far as I can see it doesn't allow for changing conditions as we'd hoped. I'll keep experimenting
    Is it possible to focus on requesting % chance of precipitation, and then having the game create the slots based on that %?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Asturbo View Post
    I think that the game uses actual data and forcast to generate the weather slots.
    So probably if you change the "actual weather" in your app, has no effect. I'll make some test too, but if the game works in this way, obviously you can't do anything.
    Anyway with your app we recover the real weather as was designed.
    That alone would be awesome. I miss using real weather and not knowing what im getting.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

Platform
    PC
    Anyone had a chance to take a look at this?

I did some rework to make the app match the game's expectations a little better, so the forecast is now (by default) in 3 hour slots, starting at midnight. The proxying works well (although there are times when the game doesn't even bother to call the weather API, no idea why).

The latest build is available in the repository and the documentation is up to date
    Crew Chief details here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...r-for-PC-users
    Website, download link and forum: http://thecrewchief.org
    Or make a donation, if you think the chief needs to drink more beer:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=LW33XFXP4DPZE
    The following 3 users likes this Post: ermo, JasonSandwich, satco1066

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_belowski View Post
    Anyone had a chance to take a look at this?

I did some rework to make the app match the game's expectations a little better, so the forecast is now (by default) in 3 hour slots, starting at midnight. The proxying works well (although there are times when the game doesn't even bother to call the weather API, no idea why).

The latest build is available in the repository and the documentation is up to date

I would if I had any idea what you mean by all the things youre talking about. Could we explain it for us non programming savvy could understand.lol Im sure im not alone when I say I have no idea what a jar file is.
    Last edited by morpwr; 25-10-2018 at 10:39.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Perhaps you could include an option to set weather in the 4 slots on a dedicated server, if people provide their user/pass/ip/port for the http api on their DS.

It's quite easily set via the http api and next_session, it then allows any slot duration without relying on the game to request it. I've got a rather crude solution going myself via a weather api/php and cron, can not code very well either, but it works amazingly well. If somehow this is already covered, I said nothing, I just browsed around a bit and came across this thread.
    Last edited by Sloskimo; 25-10-2018 at 18:28.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by morpwr View Post
    I would if I had any idea what you mean by all the things youre talking about. Could we explain it for us non programming savvy could understand.lol Im sure im not alone when I say I have no idea what a jar file is.
    Someone correct me if I'm off base here but what he has done is create a service that intercepts the request that the game makes to get weather information. This type of service is called a proxy because it is going to respond to the request "by proxy" for the real openweather.org service. It will generate random weather and send that to the game and the game never knows that it didn't come from openweather.

There's a programming language called Java and a jar file is a package of Java code and other resources like images and text files. It stands for Java ARchive.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: ermo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloskimo View Post
    Perhaps you could include an option to set weather in the 4 slots on a dedicated server, if people provide their user/pass/ip/port for the http api on their DS.
    Yes that was an option, but restricts the people that can use it.

How is working now, the app works like a ghost weather server, and it could be used offline or online with a DS or P2P using the ingame real weather option. If you play online, only the host of the session (the 1st one who logs) needs to connect to the java applet (DS or P2P) and works exactly as it should work in the game. I'm using this option for the last races of my comunity (with the real weather proxy option) and it worked perfectly with accurate real weather data.

In my case I'm running the java app in the same computer than my DS, but it doesn't comunicate directly with it. The app could be in the same computer where I play, but I don't like other apps in background while playing (but also checked and it works). When I log to the DS and I select the circuit, the game connects to the proxy (also running in the DS machine), and the proxy gets the weather data from the public service with a valid key. Then my computer passes the data to the DS, and the DS to the rest of the players of the session.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm off base here but what he has done is create a service that intercepts the request that the game makes to get weather information. This type of service is called a proxy because it is going to respond to the request "by proxy" for the real openweather.org service. It will generate random weather and send that to the game and the game never knows that it didn't come from openweather.
    Yes, that's correct. The app has two different modes:

- Proxy: The app connects to internet and gets the data for you when you start any session with the real weather option. You "cheat" the game (from the OS with the host file trick) to redirect to the APP from the public weather service to your own weather server. The app needs a valid key to get the weather data (user key obtained registering), but the app doesn't use it to pass the data to the game, so it works in the same way as the original server.

- Random: The app generates automatically the weather slots based in your preferences (but still random). In this case, the app doesn't need to connect to the real web server and generates the random slots. I haven't much time to test this option, but if it works well, would be my prefered.

In the link of Mrbelowsky, you have more information: https://github.com/mrbelowski/PCars2OpenweatherServer
    Last edited by Asturbo; 26-10-2018 at 20:09.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia RTX2080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW QHD | Wheel: Fanatec CSW 2.5 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator/// Open Weather App
    The following user likes this Post: Schnizz58

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post

There's a programming language called Java and a jar file is a package of Java code and other resources like images and text files. It stands for Java ARchive.

I got that part. I just don't understand how to use that type of file. It looks very different from the stuff im used to seeing.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    @Asturbo I get your point, but afaik the game likes its weather in rather large chunks, this way provides more granular control. E.g. you can have two rain showers in a 30 minute race with some sun and whatever in between etc.

I do not propose replacing what is there, just giving the option of setting it on a DS.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for making that java app. It was very cool to see it fetching weather data when I selected the track and to see when I loaded up the race the correct weather was added. I tried a few places that were either clear or overcast and then tried the Nurburgring which had light rain/overcast in the openweathermap.org data and PC2 chose foggy, which is okay with me.

I did get a crash to desktop in that race, though, and that's a first for me. Not sure if it's the Real Weather or not.

EDIT: Tried Nurburgring again and it didn't crash. Probably just had PC2 running too long before that and it finally bailed.
    Last edited by shovas; 28-10-2018 at 01:57.