Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Career Difficulty Multipliers - Let's help each other

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    Good point. As someone who has actually managed to leave the house in his slippers before, its always a good idea to check whats on your feet..
    Yeah, my "tuning" usually consist of 1) Loading the SMS Stable Setup, 2) Make sure I have the appropriate tires, and 3) Lower the fuel based on what's needed for the qualifying/race.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    @cpcdem

Timetrials up. Don't forget my alter ego is Sunscreen. Its a nice stable setup, good for p5. Theres more pace there to be had too Its really a race setup though.

Don't forget I have my pedals sensitivities set differently too- its a cheeky way of throttle mapping. Same with Brake and clutch. See my post above.

Let me know what you think (I obviously never get feedback on my own setups so Im genuinely curious).
    Ah, I am very sorry guys, I thought you were referring to the Formula C car, for which I was really looking forward to try a new setup. Now I realize you were talking about the BMW TC and I have to disagree, I have raced half of my PCARS2 life in those cars, and IMO the default setups of all Touring Cars are absolutely fine. I think they already give most of the cars potential and some fine tuning can only give a few more tenths or slightly more, depending on the track. Only thing I always do no matter what is to to bring brake bias to the back for better turn in while braking.

I hope you do not mind some well-meant criticism: I tried your setup, but I found it extremely twitchy, I think mainly because of the very low preload, low power ramp and very high coast (and low engine braking value), it made it difficult for me to enter turns well enough and put the power down on corner exit. Also the very short gearing causes too many required gear changes, which lose time and also the car is out of power at the end of the straight, so it is losing top speed, and especially in race conditions it will cause problems with overtaking/defending on the straights.

In my opinion, better start with default again. Adjust brake bias and pressure so you are comfortable under braking, maybe also steering ratio if you don't like it in default and leave everything else in default and give it some time. I am sure after some laps you will feel more comfortable with it and lap times will go down. Then you can start fine tuning, but no such drastic measures are needed I believe. Maybe adjust tire pressures depending on the track (best pressures for TC cars are much below the ones suggested in the well known pressures/temps post, but they do not make a huge difference, either) so they do not skyrocket during the race, also maybe slightly adjust roll-bars to adjust oversteer/understeer behavior. Also maybe adjust downforce (and radiator), if a track has many long straights, but I wouldn't touch much more than that...
    Last edited by cpcdem; 12-10-2018 at 00:51.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Ah, I am very sorry guys, I thought you were referring to the Formula C car, for which I was really looking forward to try a new setup. Now I realize you were talking about the BMW TC and I have to disagree, I have raced half of my PCARS2 life in those cars, and IMO the default setups of all Touring Cars are absolutely fine. I think they already give most of the cars potential and some fine tuning can only give a few more tenths or slightly more, depending on the track. Only thing I always do no matter what is to to bring brake bias to the back for better turn in while braking.

I hope you do not mind some well-meant criticism: I tried your setup, but I found it extremely twitchy, I think mainly because of the very low preload, low power ramp and very high coast (and low engine braking value), it made it difficult for me to enter turns well enough and put the power down on corner exit. Also the very short gearing causes too many required gear changes, which lose time and also the car is out of power at the end of the straight, so it is losing top speed, and especially in race conditions it will cause problems with overtaking/defending on the straights.

In my opinion, better start with default again. Adjust brake bias and pressure so you are comfortable under braking, maybe also steering ratio if you don't like it in default and leave everything else in default and give it some time. I am sure after some laps you will feel more comfortable with it and lap times will go down. Then you can start fine tuning, but no such drastic measures are needed I believe. Maybe adjust tire pressures depending on the track (best pressures for TC cars are much below the ones suggested in the well known pressures/temps post, but they do not make a huge difference, either) so they do not skyrocket during the race, also maybe slightly adjust roll-bars to adjust oversteer/understeer behavior. Also maybe adjust downforce (and radiator), if a track has many long straights, but I wouldn't touch much more than that...
    Well after reading your post Im kind of amazed I managed to drag that twitchy setup to 5th on the timetrial board at Barcelona

In my opinion it is the default setups that are as twitchy as you describe. If you read my post youll see that I couldn't match ai at 100/100 with them. I needed the car to do several things that it wasn't with default. I wanted the front to turn in under braking for several corners at Barcelona that require this, using trail braking techniques hence the high coast low engine value, and the car does not have sufficient power to push it wide on power hence the high locking value on the power ramp.

When I asked for feedback it was really a question of "have I helped you in any way".. that is why I went to this largely wasted effort..

Im fine with the setup and have no need to change it. In fact Im fine with pace over long distances with no errors so for me the car cannot be that twitchy at all to attain that consistency.

If you look back over the thread the conversation is really about matching ai pace and my desire was to provide a setup that does this while being consistent in delivery and response. Its up to others if it works for them or not.

Perhaps a simple mis-understanding..

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It was nothing wasted, it did not help me, but maybe it will help others and it certainly gave food for discussion. I did read all your post and since I am very familiar with this class, I thought I'd give my opinion on how to better challenge the AI with those cars. IMO, it's not the default setups the issue as was suggested, apart from one thing I think: As I said I believe the problem with trail braking is because of the brake bias, it's too far to the front, so I move it back at around 42-58 to prevent the fronts from locking. Also I offered my feedback after following your ghost that you are losing speed in the straights due to the short gearing.
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    It was nothing wasted, it did not help me, but maybe it will help others and it certainly gave food for discussion. I did read all your post and since I am very familiar with this class, I thought I'd give my opinion on how to better challenge the AI with those cars. IMO, it's not the default setups the issue as was suggested, apart from one thing I think: As I said I believe the problem with trail braking is because of the brake bias, it's too far to the front, so I move it back at around 42-58 to prevent the fronts from locking. Also I offered my feedback after following your ghost that you are losing speed in the straights due to the short gearing.
    Hmm, something odd going on. I downloaded my own ghost and loaded the setup, and it wasn't what I was driving yesterday. I hit 6th rev limiter not even halfway down the straight where yesterday it was just as I was braking for turn 1. Very odd..
    Anyway, I thought I'd have a go with the default except for the brake bias and its very stable. Im not sure theres something strange going on with my setups. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe do a clean install..
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem