Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Career Difficulty Multipliers - Let's help each other

Platform
    PC
    They aren't, at least not the first "regional" career races. The AI is way weaker in these. Once you get to the higher tiers and european/USA/world championship levels the AI is at the same level as single player, at least this is my experience.
    .. please SMS, make the AI faster in rain before shelving the game for good. Please! Love this game dearly!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following user likes this Post:

Keena
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisff87 View Post
    That's a good point, I'll set the AI to 100% in my career and post the AI times. I'll get destroyed, but at least we can compare to see if AI times are consistent between career and single race.
    Its getting interesting (well for me anyway).

Did an hour long practice session at the redbullring GP, in the bmw again. I'll quote myself here- "Sector 1 Im with the AI, sector 2 Im 2 seconds down, and sector 3 its .5 of a second down" which was from an earlier peek where I did just a few laps.

And at the end of the hour...…? Well not much had really changed- I was still losing 2 seconds in that middle sector. No way to get it sorted from what I could see. I was max limit every lap at every turn. I was looking at the track map, looking at the setup (which I'd finally balanced at least) and was wondering around the house with a cuppa thinking "there is just no way Im going to get 2 seconds out of that middle sector".. I was starting to get a bit frustrated. So I went and chatted with my wife for a bit, played some games with my three year old daughter and had a bit of a background burner think.. rake? That might be a little, pressures- pretty sure theyre bang on but they feel a bit over inflated so that might do a bit, suspension- feels a bit soft, maybe with softer pressures I can dial that up a bit and spread the grip, camber- I don't like running lots of camber but the temps are low anyway, might dial that up and see what it does...

So back I go, and try each of those things one by one- 10 lap stints each to be sure. Yeah a few tenths here and there until... I get to camber and pressures. I dial that up by 2-3 degrees and drop .3 bar off the tyres front and rear (which I'd set to run hot at 2.1 bar all round as per the stickie post in car setup, now running 1.7 hot) and bam, a second out of the middle sector and that .5 out of the last sector is gone. Sector 1 Im right up there. Ended the session 4th.

What does this tell me? That there is probably more pace to find, and I will do that tomorrow. Started 4 seconds off, finished less than a second off. When I started I spent an entire hour not really eating into that gap. Just goes to show- I'll post a screenshot of my practice session tomorrow so we can compare redbullring times in custom race with your career times.
    Last edited by Keena; 10-10-2018 at 21:02.
    The following user likes this Post: Maskmagog

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    For me personally across all different race series I started at 90% and increased to 100% after 1 or two races, I only found myself lowering the difficulty with tracks individually, Such as Road America, I can beat or keep up with AI at 100% until I get to the large round circular corner, Ive never found the perfect setup for that track yet, but im getting there for one vs the AI.

But in most cases I never cared for lowering the difficulty too much because the career races are like a league, aslong as I finished at the top or close by several times, then I was gonna win the tournament.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    Its getting interesting (well for me anyway).

Did an hour long practice session at the redbullring GP, in the bmw again. I'll quote myself here- "Sector 1 Im with the AI, sector 2 Im 2 seconds down, and sector 3 its .5 of a second down" which was from an earlier peek where I did just a few laps.

And at the end of the hour...? Well not much had really changed- I was still losing 2 seconds in that middle sector. No way to get it sorted from what I could see. I was max limit every lap at every turn. I was looking at the track map, looking at the setup (which I'd finally balanced at least) and was wondering around the house with a cuppa thinking "there is just no way Im going to get 2 seconds out of that middle sector".. I was starting to get a bit frustrated. So I went and chatted with my wife for a bit, played some games with my three year old daughter and had a bit of a background burner think.. rake? That might be a little, pressures- pretty sure theyre bang on but they feel a bit over inflated so that might do a bit, suspension- feels a bit soft, maybe with softer pressures I can dial that up a bit and spread the grip, camber- I don't like running lots of camber but the temps are low anyway, might dial that up and see what it does...

So back I go, and try each of those things one by one- 10 lap stints each to be sure. Yeah a few tenths here and there until... I get to camber and pressures. I dial that up by 2-3 degrees and drop .3 bar off the tyres front and rear (which I'd set to run hot at 2.1 bar all round as per the stickie post in car setup, now running 1.7 hot) and bam, a second out of the middle sector and that .5 out of the last sector is gone. Sector 1 Im right up there. Ended the session 4th.

What does this tell me? That there is probably more pace to find, and I will do that tomorrow. Started 4 seconds off, finished less than a second off. When I started I spent an entire hour not really eating into that gap. Just goes to show- I'll post a screenshot of my practice session tomorrow so we can compare redbullring times in custom race with your career times.
    Interesting. I guess it could be argued that with enough tuning, you will get a consistent challenge against the same AI %. I guess my problem (and from what I've read around, for many people as well) is that I really dont tune my cars, simply because I dont have the time to do so, or simply because I choose to spend that time actually racing.
    Which brings me to another point, and that is that it seems some cars are better tuned by default than others. I guess that would be the only explanation why I need a 25% difficulty difference from one career series to another just to keep a consistent challenge (in both cases not tuning my car).

Anyways, I could not get times for Red Bull Ring because I had already completed that race in my career and I couldnt repeat it. But here are times for Circuit of Catalunya GP. I am racing in the TC category.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	261139

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Interesting. I guess it could be argued that with enough tuning, you will get a consistent challenge against the same AI %. I guess my problem (and from what I've read around, for many people as well) is that I really dont tune my cars, simply because I dont have the time to do so, or simply because I choose to spend that time actually racing.
    Which brings me to another point, and that is that it seems some cars are better tuned by default than others. I guess that would be the only explanation why I need a 25% difficulty difference from one career series to another just to keep a consistent challenge (in both cases not tuning my car).

Anyways, I could not get times for Red Bull Ring because I had already completed that race in my career and I couldnt repeat it. But here are times for Circuit of Catalunya GP. I am racing in the TC category.

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	261139
    This is at 100/100 AI by the way.

Keena
    Yes I agree. I think setup could play a big role once you start looking at consistent pace like this. I hadnt reallly appreciated that until you mentioned it.
    Fyi although i like the circuit Barcelona is a bit of a bogey track for me so this will be an interesting one as well.. If you agree Barcelona ai time for TC is 1.54.2 so the time to note for an ai comparison and the time to be close to for me..
    My poor LMP 3 career is feeling neglected, although this is very good fun! This thread was an excellent idea. By the way, anyone else find the formula renault ai 2-3 seconds too slow at 100/100?
    Last edited by Keena; 11-10-2018 at 04:28.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Hmm, i dont remember that one. Might have to redo career mode again! Which silverstone was it- in fact have you still got it saved? We can compare ai times with a custom race my end. I just need the date and then i can set up a foggy custom race..
    The round I'm in.

Name:	20181011170904_1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	261140

So much of dreaming for that Indy experience.

Name:	20181011172140_1.jpg 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	261141

Used to be a big single player racer back in PC1 mainly just race weekends. Think I stopped the career because the same problem and just stuck to the race weekends and made my own agenda against the A.I.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/GTX 1070 8gb/16GB 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD/Oculus Rift CV1/Proscan 4K tv @ 60hz/inactivated windows 10/Thrustmaster TX/Alcantara wheel/T3PA Pro/TH8A.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcstar View Post
    The round I'm in.

Name:	20181011170904_1.jpg 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	261140

So much of dreaming for that Indy experience.

Name:	20181011172140_1.jpg 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	261141

Used to be a big single player racer back in PC1 mainly just race weekends. Think I stopped the career because the same problem and just stuck to the race weekends and made my own agenda against the A.I.
    Wait until you have to do the indy 500, 200 laps with crazy AI that seems to enjoy having a pile up @ 240mph! Its a long hard race and for me requires more concentration then any other race ive ever done! I underestimated how hard it was going round in circles.

Keena
    This is at 100/100 AI by the way.
    Here is the practice session at barcelona GP at 100/100 custom race. The target time of 1.54.2 Ive achieved in my second run after gear ratio and other track specific adjustments, but interestingly the ai pace is a second down on yours.. but on reflection its only 1 ai in yours that did the 1.54- most are 1.55 same as mine so thats a good comparison considering other variables like track temp etc etc. I can post my catalunya setup if you wish.

Name:	20181011_102754.jpg 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	261142

Name:	20181011_102802.jpg 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	261143
    Last edited by Keena; 11-10-2018 at 09:48.
    The following user likes this Post: chrisff87

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Here is the practice session at barcelona GP at 100/100 custom race. The target time of 1.54.2 Ive achieved in my second run after gear ratio and other track specific adjustments, but interestingly the ai pace is a second down on yours.. but on reflection its only 1 ai in yours that did the 1.54- most are 1.55 same as mine so thats a good comparison considering other variables like track temp etc etc. I can post my catalunya setup if you wish.
    Wow that's interesting. I'm starting to believe that inconsistent AI difficulty is not the issue with career mode, but rather inconsistent default setups (where some cars are much better tunned than others using the default SMS setups).
    To achieve this 1:54.095 time, how much tuning did you have to do out of the box? And which car did you use? And yes, I am interested in your setup, please.