Thread: Differential Question

Platform
    PS4

Differential Question

If Clutch LSD is turned on, is it turned off (or overridden) when either of Geared LSD or Viscous Lock are turned on, or will they work in tandem?

This question was posed to me in a league chat earlier and I realized I wasn't entirely sure of the answer. I usually always run Clutch LSD and at times will turn on one of Geared or Viscous at the same time. Never all three.
    PS ID: KingBukB
    PS4, T300 (Alcantara Edition), T3PA Pro, TH8A

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I believe it in tandem, so you can kind of stack together multiple LSD systems
    The following user likes this Post: Casey Ringley

Platform
    PC
    The RSR uses the Clutch and Viscous. Most of the cars that run Tandem in Default that are using the Geared and Clutch combination are Ford Mustangs. Although you can run Geared/Clutch/Viscous there is no advantage and I can't find SMS using it. A Spool or Ratchet will override any other selection. You can run all LSDs off, this is used by some on Oval tracks.

Porsche RSR.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2018-10-24 06-05-53-61.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	261495
    The ZL 1 Camaro and Z06 Corvette are some other cars using this combination LSD.
    Last edited by blinkngone; 24-10-2018 at 12:22.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.
    The following user likes this Post: BionicBacon

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sas5320 View Post
    I believe it in tandem, so you can kind of stack together multiple LSD systems
    Correct. A common setup we used by default is Clutch + Geared to get something like a Torsen T2R which does a geared bias ratio and also has positive pre-load torque. A few GT3 cars also have the option to run a viscous pack inside a clutch & ramp diff for rather than traditional preload, so in that case a Clutch + Viscous combination fits. At the far end of the spectrum, we've used all features together to sorta-kinda mimic the operation of a fancy electronic differential; not fully-active, but a pretty good passive solution. Then, as blink says, Spool and Ratchet rules all. Ratcheting will always allow a wheel to turn faster than the diff carrier and a Spool will always weld the sides together.
    Haste Is Slow
    The following 3 users likes this Post: blinkngone, Maskmagog, sas5320

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    Correct. A common setup we used by default is Clutch + Geared to get something like a Torsen T2R which does a geared bias ratio and also has positive pre-load torque. A few GT3 cars also have the option to run a viscous pack inside a clutch & ramp diff for rather than traditional preload, so in that case a Clutch + Viscous combination fits. At the far end of the spectrum, we've used all features together to sorta-kinda mimic the operation of a fancy electronic differential; not fully-active, but a pretty good passive solution. Then, as blink says, Spool and Ratchet rules all. Ratcheting will always allow a wheel to turn faster than the diff carrier and a Spool will always weld the sides together.
    Hey Casey, thanks for keeping tabs on us. There are so many cars now and I can't find the Geared/Clutch/Viscous combination anymore although in my frayed memory I thought it was used. I have used this myself in experiments. Which cars are currently using this combination?
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    All of the modern Ferraris use that kind of setup. I think we might have done it on the McLarens and some others, too; those red cars are freshest in my memory.
    Haste Is Slow
    The following user likes this Post: blinkngone