Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: The Red Dead Redemption 2 thread!

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Innerspace HQ View Post
    It would be interesting to see the difference between consoles with HDR off in both cases...
    I can take some pics with HDR ON vs OFF on my 4K/HDR projector and my NON HDR TV to compare. Wouldnt be a great comparison since one is an LED TV and one is a Projector. But I can totally disable HDR on the projector as well and do a comparison with just that display.

Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore23 View Post
    Im finding HDR has much more realistic colours than off, When turning off it looks like a cartoon with over saturated colours.
    I agree. I feel the HDR looks really good. The game is set in the 1890s, certain colors are not supposed to pop etc. I feel the colors look realistic for its time.
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****
    The following user likes this Post: Innerspace HQ

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
    I can take some pics with HDR ON vs OFF on my 4K/HDR projector and my NON HDR TV to compare. Wouldnt be a great comparison since one is an LED TV and one is a Projector. But I can totally disable HDR on the projector as well and do a comparison with just that display.

I agree. I feel the HDR looks really good. The game is set in the 1890s, certain colors are not supposed to pop etc. I feel the colors look realistic for its time.
    It's not HDR though... It's SDR. Green was green and blue was blue back in the 1890s so I'm not sure I take your point on that. Westerns were in monochrome to begin with too so I'm a little confused about what you mean there but here's some pics to help explain why RDR2 hdr is very poor.

Here's HDR done properly. It's a big difference in game.

I used to play that pinball, I used to go outside. I had to spend my money, get on your bus and ride. I used to go out dancing, put on my high-heeled shoes. Get in my short black chevy, go on a downtown cruise. I feel a little bit mixed up, maybe I'm obsolete. All us pinball pool sharks, we just can't compete.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    It's not HDR though... It's SDR. Green was green and blue was blue back in the 1890s so I'm not sure I take your point on that. Westerns were in monochrome to begin with too so I'm a little confused about what you mean there but here's some pics to help explain why RDR2 hdr is very poor.

Here's HDR done properly. It's a big difference in game.

Those pictures show HDR brightness not colours. Colourwise R* got the game looking fantastic but brightness wise they completely fucked up. They also made it a blurry mess on PS4 Pro 4k HDR compared to 4k HDR on Xbox X due to the awful rendering technique used on PS4.
    A TV, Wheel, Pedals & Game.
    The following user likes this Post: Innerspace HQ

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore23 View Post
    Those pictures show HDR brightness not colours. Colourwise R* got the game looking fantastic but brightness wise they completely fucked up. They also made it a blurry mess on PS4 Pro 4k HDR compared to 4k HDR on Xbox X due to the awful rendering technique used on PS4.
    I think I'm misunderstanding you, or you misunderstand how HDR works. It's greater constrast, greater brightness and a much wider colour palette. RDR2 HDR is fake, it's well documented. I did post a link further back. Here's a similar one: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...emption-2s-hdr

Edit: Forgot to say, if the HDR "brightness" slider is what you're basing your findings on then it most definitely will have an effect on colours. They are pretty washed out because of it. It's pretty subjective in terms of what you like or want but it's not subjective in that the HDR isn't High at all, it's Standard.
    Last edited by Innerspace HQ; 09-11-2018 at 12:47.
    I used to play that pinball, I used to go outside. I had to spend my money, get on your bus and ride. I used to go out dancing, put on my high-heeled shoes. Get in my short black chevy, go on a downtown cruise. I feel a little bit mixed up, maybe I'm obsolete. All us pinball pool sharks, we just can't compete.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Yeah i get that HDR is faked in RDR2. Most games i find though in HDR have a more "washed out" and duller look to them (more realistic but to gamers they want the vibrant cartoon look because thats what they have been used to for the past 40 years) but is that not due to the TV being able to reproduce colours non HDR cannot? PES 2019 menu screen is Coutinho in a Barca shirt when HDR kicks in it changes the colours to represent the Barca shirt more natural....if those playing on a non HDR tv seen it am sure they would moan about it not being as vibrant and washed out looking the same goes for the pitches non HDR they look very over saturated and very cartoon like and HDR they are insanely more realistic looking.

Platform
    PC
    Anyway i prefer the game with HDR on, the colours and lighting are softer and more realistic with it IMO. Of course it doesn't have the pop and vibrance of HDR implementation in games like God of War or the last episodes of Assassins Creed but it might be a choice from Rockstar...
    MB ASUS Maximus VII Ranger / Proc : Intel Core i5 4690K / Ram : G.Skill Ares Blue Series 16 Go DDR3 2133 MHz CL9 / GC : MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X / HDD : Seagate Desktop SSHD 2 To / OS : Windows 10 64-bit / VP SONY HW30ES / T500RS + 458 GTE / ClubSport Shifter SQ / ClubSport pedals V3

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by wesker6664 View Post
    Anyway i prefer the game with HDR on, the colours and lighting are softer and more realistic with it IMO. Of course it doesn't have the pop and vibrance of HDR implementation in games like God of War or the last episodes of Assassins Creed but it might be a choice from Rockstar...
    Yeah. It's not.

I still don't really understand what you're saying, UkHardcore23, but it doesn't really matter in the end. As long as you're happy with it in it's current fashion. I'll be happier when they patch it and stop it being faded out. I have 50 gallus inches of HDR 10+ and a HDR "brightness" slider just does not cut it for me.

I get that people might be happy with it like this but it's not how it's meant to be, it's been badly faked and it shows up badly - cause/effect. I think some people may be confusing the colour issue with the brightness. You can't call an HDR slider for SDR brightness a HDR calibration tool so even trying to compare it to other HDR is wrong, it's simply not HDR. HDR isn't just brightness or just colours. If the developer puts no time into it's implementation then it will look crap. That's what Rockstar did. I doubt they chose to, I could be wrong, but given the insanely high standards elsewhere in the game I think this was either forced into doing it this way or they thought nobody would notice. I never adjust game mode on my TV, it's well set, but I honestly thought i'd changed profiles on the tele it was that noticable. This makes me think it's not the latter. It's obviously bad, whether you like that particular brand of bad or not is subjective but it being done badly is not subjective at all.
    Last edited by Innerspace HQ; 09-11-2018 at 14:07. Reason: Bed Spalling ;)

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Yeah. It's not.

I still don't really understand what you're saying, UkHardcore23, but it doesn't really matter in the end. As long as you're happy with it in it's current fashion. I'll be happier when they patch it and stop it being faded out. I have 50 gallus inches of HDR 10+ and a HDR "brightness" slider just does not cut it for me.

I get that people might be happy with it like this but it's not how it's meant to be, it's been badly faked and it shows up badly - cause/effect. I think some people may be confusing the colour issue with the brightness. You can't call an HDR slider for SDR brightness a HDR calibration tool so even trying to compare it to other HDR is wrong, it's simply not HDR. HDR isn't just brightness or just colours. If the developer puts no time into it's implementation then it will look crap. That's what Rockstar did. I doubt they chose to, I could be wrong, but given the insanely high standards elsewhere in the game I think this was either forced into doing it this way or they thought nobody would notice. I never adjust game mode on my TV, it's well set, but I honestly thought i'd changed profiles on the tele it was that noticable. This makes me think it's not the latter. It's obviously bad, whether you like that particualr brand of bad or not is subjective but it being done badly is not subjective at all.
    Dont get me wrong it should be much better better than what we have im only saying HDR enabled looks far better than not enabled colourwise. The fact the fires, Skylines, Snow etc are not popping is very disappointing.

R* are not known for patching or fixing bugs - Usually because they spend time on their games and release in a MUCH BETTER state than all other devs and apart from HDR thats the case again so while im taking my time with the game in hope a patch drops with fixed HDR sadly i have a feeling that patch will never come and all focus will be on the online mode.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    I'm gonna break up this conversation about the 'HDR' problems for a sec, with some pictures. That's right, i don't just take photos/screens in P-Cars 2..

Here's the fish i caught with my bow.

Given the size of the thing, i was a bit disappointed i only got 1 small piece of meat from it..

This is my Hollywood western action movie style shot.

And this is the best photo i've taken so far.

Lost count of how many times i died and re-loaded to get the timing right.
    Official photographer for the SRL P-Cars 2 APAC league.
    And our awesome commentator, Kidbyers, has archives of all our race streams on
    his Youtube page.
    The following user likes this Post: Konan