Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [RESOLVED] People who fixed their disconnection problems...how did you do it?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    Speaking from my own experience you would most likely only be able to alter router settings if you own your own router, not provided by your ISP. This is because you need the log in details (username and password) of the router in able to log in and make changes and they hardly will give you that to tinker with. The only way you may be able to log in is if you get the log in details otherwise but if they find out you tinkered with their router (without their authorisation) you may get in trouble.

That being said...However if you request them to do the necessaries (usually referred to as Port Forwarding/ DMZ etc) they will do it for you and because they will most likely know what to do it should be the safer way to go. It's what I did. I called technical support customer service, explained my situation and that I needed to resolve as needed for gaming...they put me on to one of their techies familiar with such...he did the necessaries and in turn advised me what to do next from my end and that helped.
    Not sure where you live but in the UK most ISPs allow you to log in to your router and change stuff. This is how I fixed my issue. They even provide you with the details in your "welcome pack" as such

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Glad you got it sorted (offcourse no more trouble, but can't give any 'collisions' on track)

Perhaps change topic name to [RESOLVED]
    Last edited by Killg0re NL; 30-10-2018 at 13:00. Reason: Add resolved

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    DMZ is what I use on BT Infinity, bit of a security risk but as it's only pointed to my sim racing rig I don't care, works a treat and opens your NAT up for other games.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    DMZ is what I use on BT Infinity, bit of a security risk but as it's only pointed to my sim racing rig I don't care, works a treat and opens your NAT up for other games.
    I'm on EE myself. Since I last updated this post, it started to disconnect again, hours after I thought I fixed it. I then changed the MTU on the PS4 from 1492 to 1500 and it works again. The most frustrating thing is not not knowing what caused the issue, it's not knowing what I did to fix it. I changed a few things but not sure what particular thing worked.

I got an 2nd message back from SMS below. It's funny he suggested to change my MTU to 1400 but others say 1500 and that's what worked. Although some routers don't allow numbers that low.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	261601

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote "we have had some reports of this fixing the issue"

At least we now know this is an actual issue with the game. I'd like to tag a few of the mods to this thread to read that from the horses mouth itself.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Killg0re NL View Post
    Glad you got it sorted (offcourse no more trouble, but can't give any 'collisions' on track)

Perhaps change topic name to [RESOLVED]
    What do you mean about the collisions? And to be completely honest, I'm not sure whether it is [RESOLVED] because it started playing up a few hours later. But I did change the MTU and reset and it's working again. I'll keep you updated if it means anything.

Cheers buddy

Platform
    PC
    When you're racing online, you want to send and receive network packets in a steady stream at steady intervals, rather than having a bunch of packets arrive at the same time at random intervals.

The reason you will generally want to avoid WiFi for gaming is that cabled connections generally allow for more consistent network packet latency. Partly because wired ethernet is Full Duplex (can send and receive simultaneously) and effectively has a separate channel for each wire and partly because it takes a great deal to disturb an electric signal travelling over a wire compared to radio signals.

In contrast, radio signals can easily be disturbed by interference, other people using the WiFi (most consumer WiFi equipment only allow one or a few devices to send/receive simultaneously on the configured channel) or even someone physically blocking line of sight from your device's antennae to the router antennae.

MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) relates to the maximum transaction size of a network packet. Sending data over the internet involves wrapping the game data packets in several "envelopes" for network routing purposes. Each extra envelope adds a few extra bytes to the data packet. If the extra envelopes add enough bytes that total packet size exceeds the MTU of any single device on the way to the game servers, the original data inside the packet will need to be disassembled, chopped up and resent as two separate packets AND it will potentially need to be re-assembled into a single data packet on the host. This process takes extra time, which is NOT what you want in a latency bound application such as online racing.

The crude illustration below is intended to show you where the packets can be split up on the way to and from the people you're playing with online:

(your PS4)---(CPE router/firewall)---(ISP subscriber gateway)---(ISP network)---(ISP-to-world-edge-router)---(Open Internet)---(...)---(other players)

Finally ISPs tend to configure their equipment to offer bandwidth at the expense of low latency, because their products are advertised and sold on, that's right, how many megabits they can push through per second. This often means that both the ISP CPE (Customer Premises Equipment -- typically a router with firewall capabilities) and the ISP's own equipment are configured with deep package queues that maximise bandwidth by buffering lots of packages to and from the CPE.

What QoS does is that it prioritises certain types of packets (typically identified by port number, protocol type and even IP packet envelope service flags) and puts them at the head of the packet queues at the expense of e.g. normal web browsing traffic. This can help alleviate the issue excessive buffering causes, but it can rarely completely eliminate it.

So, to recap, I would personally recommend doing the following:

- Use a wired ethernet connection if at all possible
    - Configure your MTU to be low enough that is below the smallest maximum MTU on the way to the PC2 servers (1400 bytes is a good, conservative recommendation)
    - Turn on QoS on your router if at all possible and ensure that the QoS filter knows how to recognize PC2 traffic so that it can move it to the head of both the upstream and downstream traffic queues.
    -- If possible, configure your router to only make use of 95-98% of the advertised bandwidth of your connection. This will tend to reduce the network packet buffer depth to the benefit of network packet latency to and from your ISP's network. Note that all bets are off on the open internet and on other people's internet connections.

ADVANCED OPTION:

An additional option is to buy a device that supports the OpenWRT router software (one such option is the TP-Link Archer C7, which I personally use). Lots of work has gone into combating "buffer bloat" in OpenWRT, making it one of the best consumer router operating systems in existence in terms of optimising for latency under heavy load. Getting it set up will however require quite a bit of technical expertise on your part, so tread carefully if you choose to go this route. Often, the WiFi performance will suffer slightly, because OpenWRT is Open Source and thus cannot redistribute proprietary drivers from the various router vendors. Your Mileage May Vary as they say.
    Last edited by ermo; 31-10-2018 at 17:21.
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 32GB DDR3-2400 | GFX Vega 64 AC @ 3x27" 1080p | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | FFB INFORMATIVE Gain:100/Volume:30-35/Tone:50-60/FX:0-10 | OS Win10 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓

"We respond to well constructed criticism, good ideas which are properly described and thought through, and ideas that will benefit the whole community, not a vocal minority.

Do not repeat requests, be patient and polite, and have some confidence in our ongoing desire to improve the game for all users, which we have clearly and ably demonstrated in the past." -- Richard Steer, Slightly Mad Studios
    The following 3 users likes this Post: beetes_juice, Maskmagog, Sampo

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thats a very nice well laid out piece of information. I'd like to say that regarding the MTU, 1400 seems to be recommended but the defining fix of my connection was changing it to 1500.
    The following user likes this Post: ermo