Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christiaan's eSports Adventure

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC

Christiaan's eSports Adventure

Do you guys want to laugh?

Our cable TV/Internet provider Ziggo (a part of Liberty Global) has been holding eSports events all year on television on Thursday, giving the chance for the winners to drive on television again under lead of Robert Doornbos or Tom/Tim Coronel.
    To find good drivers they hold events all around the country and last Saturday they arrived in my local shoppingmall.

So I was shopping there and watched for a moment, and the chap comes up to me and asks if I want to have a go. Not taking it seriously I thought "sure, I doubt I'll get a high position anyway". I ended up setting the 7th time at that moment and only trickling down to 11th by the end of the day.

I thought nothing of it and now I just received a mail saying I am on the reservelist and if someone can't come Thursday the 8th I could be asked to come. Oooops, I only entered as a joke never realising my many laps around various tracks in various cars in Project CARS 1 and 2 (from the very WMD beginning) might actually aid me this much.

In the end my worst but unexpected fear came through... I might actually enter soon in an official Formula 1 eSports race on Dutch television, that whilst I hardly ever race online and I am very used to driving in VR nowadays. I better get to training for the event.

Wish me luck, chaps!
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    knock 'em dead mate
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!
    The following user likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan van Beilen View Post
    Do you guys want to laugh?

Our cable TV/Internet provider Ziggo (a part of Liberty Global) has been holding eSports events all year on television on Thursday, giving the chance for the winners to drive on television again under lead of Robert Doornbos or Tom/Tim Coronel.
    To find good drivers they hold events all around the country and last Saturday they arrived in my local shoppingmall.

So I was shopping there and watched for a moment, and the chap comes up to me and asks if I want to have a go. Not taking it seriously I thought "sure, I doubt I'll get a high position anyway". I ended up setting the 7th time at that moment and only trickling down to 11th by the end of the day.

I thought nothing of it and now I just received a mail saying I am on the reservelist and if someone can't come Thursday the 8th I could be asked to come. Oooops, I only entered as a joke never realising my many laps around various tracks in various cars in Project CARS 1 and 2 (from the very WMD beginning) might actually aid me this much.

In the end my worst but unexpected fear came through... I might actually enter soon in an official Formula 1 eSports race on Dutch television, that whilst I hardly ever race online and I am very used to driving in VR nowadays. I better get to training for the event.

Wish me luck, chaps!
    Please keep us posted and let us know if it is going to happen. Would like to watch that race but no Dutch TV sadly. Let me know if there is any chance to watch it on Youtube if somebody uploads it.

Good luck!
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition @+100 MHz | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    knock 'em dead mate
    Will attempt to do so if they call.

I was quite surprised to be honest and that's an understatement. I mean... I haven't played F1 2018 before nor did I ever drive on the Mexico circuit before. Having to learn the game, the (poorly setup imo) thrustmaster T300 on the Playseat F1 seat putting me in a unusual driving position compared to what I am used to; and to top it off I had to learn the track.

It all resulted in a slow time of merely 1:17.438 that I never thought would be enough for 11th place by the end of the day. Although I asked about KERS they said only to bother with DRS, and I never saw KERS automatically being utilized either. So with that in mind... not really that bad I think. It's above race pace at least.

That said, I will definitely need consistancy training so I bought the Codemasters game and... I honestly have to say that it's really good even though I feel the FFB is rather superficial with a lack of detail, and the lack thereof really screams at you when you get back in pCARS2.
    I am currently turning 1:11.040 ish laptimes consistantly after an evening, but I'll have a look at telemetry as well as onboards to see where I can improve. Losing mostly at T1/T2 (too fast entry I think) and T9 (too much throttle oversteer).

Maybe I'll go and drive the track backwards to have a different insight in the camber and elevation changes, especially since I can't walk the track.
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, PostBox981

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PostBox981 View Post
    Please keep us posted and let us know if it is going to happen. Would like to watch that race but no Dutch TV sadly. Let me know if there is any chance to watch it on Youtube if somebody uploads it.

Good luck!
    Thanks a lot. I will keep you chaps informed.

I forgot to mention indeed. They stream the thing on Twitch, and the broadcast will start at 20:00 or 8:00 PM (CET).

Link: http://www.twitch.tv/ziggoebattle.

Edit...

Let me add the website of the Ziggo eBattle too (it's in Dutch, so use Google Translate if needed): https://www.ziggo.nl/entertainment/sport/ebattle
    Last edited by Christiaan van Beilen; 30-10-2018 at 20:18.

The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, PostBox981

Platform
    PC
    Make us proud!
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

Platform
    PC
    Have been saving the date + the twitch link - hope you´re gonna make it, mate.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition @+100 MHz | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PostBox981 View Post
    Have been saving the date + the twitch link - hope you´re gonna make it, mate.
    Here's to hoping someone can't make it and I am next in line.
    If I even win it on Friday on television than I have a chance to go into the Pro-League within which the prize money is €10.000,- euro. Would be nice to do this more seriously but first things first, train and hope someone falls through and if so than I still need to win that event first.

You'll see... everyone starts to watch the Stream and I make a stupid mistake on television.
    Slowly improving my times on this side. I am getting in the 1:10.228's now just by improving my downshift timing and having learned the proper gears for each corner now. Still need to nibble off a good second there at least to get into qualifying times though.

That said, driving around Interlagos makes me look forward to the next race weekend. It's just a great track in my opinion. I have to ask though (even though it's not the right thread)... is Interlagos still coming for pCARS2? Any news on that?

The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    PC
    No news on Interlagos. No news at all about how things will go on. Only guesswork.

If you make it to the race just forget about TV broadcast and look at your opponents the same way you do when racing the AI. Maybe that helps for some proper racing instead of stupid mistakes.

Feels like it´s about time to politely ask the Belgian skull to teleport this discussion to a separate thread. He´s very innovative when it comes to creating new headlines...

Platform
    PC
    Let's not race them like I do AI though, because in my experience the AI in games have still less awareness as well as foresight in terms of estimating what the player will do.
    The result being that I get a little rough when they get a little rough, whilst keeping in mind me having a reset button.

Nah, just like in the shopping mall I think I will forget about my surroundings as soon as I start driving.
    The problem is that I tend to make mistakes and drive on the limit of my own abilities to much, and need to learn to tone it down a bit and control my speed.