GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Good luck mate!
    The following user likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan van Beilen View Post
    Let's not race them like I do AI though, because in my experience the AI in games have still less awareness as well as foresight in terms of estimating what the player will do.
    The result being that I get a little rough when they get a little rough, whilst keeping in mind me having a reset button.

Nah, just like in the shopping mall I think I will forget about my surroundings as soon as I start driving.
    The problem is that I tend to make mistakes and drive on the limit of my own abilities to much, and need to learn to tone it down a bit and control my speed.
    The bold part is my biggest problem as well. How can I race and try to catch up with the leaders if not trying everything I can to go round as fast as possible? Will never learn to be a decent driver.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition @+100 MHz | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen, Konan

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PostBox981 View Post
    The bold part is my biggest problem as well. How can I race and try to catch up with the leaders if not trying everything I can to go round as fast as possible? Will never learn to be a decent driver.
    I think we're approaching it wrongly as amateurs to be honest. Maximizing a corner isn't just about braking late or taking as much speed as you can through a corner.

One thing with F1 cars is that you need to learn the proper braking technique for high downforce cars, stabbing the brakes instantly to 100% brake pressure and then getting a proper feeling for releasing the brake relative to your velocity and steering input. After all if you are to slow and have too much braking force applied the wheels will lock up, too fast and you won't drop off enough speed and overshoot the apex.

The other thing I have really started to learn is that you have to learn to be precise with your timing of your inputs to maximize everything. You'll have to develop a sense of speed as well as know the rate of mostly deceleration, once you have that you need to know your timing relative to the brake markers on when to push that brake pedal. Lastly... know the amount of shifts you need to make to get to the correct gear for that corner, and do this without fail. In the end your body has to become so used to it that it'll react like clockwork, if you know what I mean.

Now bringing it down... that's a harder bit that I haven't tackled yet tonight. Although my instinct tells me to brake a little less and a bit earlier will do the trick and not be as on edge as you'd be for a qualifying run.

One thing is for sure. Having a solid rig for the "stab the brake technique" or however you want to call it... it is a definitive must. I think on my old rSeat I would have already pressed so hard on my brake pedal that the pedal plate would just fall flat to the ground. Which makes me really glad I have this absolutely rock-solid Sim-Lab P1 rig now.

A question for you guys though that have F1 2018... is this game missing a Quick Race option or am I just overlooking it?

Update:

Getting faster... 1:09.708 (in a Red Bull and below Max's Q1 time of 2017, which was 1:09.820) but I am sure there is more to be had if I nibble at it some more. Although this is more like it.

Also I might add that I am falling in love with the SRT (Sim Racing Telemetry) application that is on Steam. It's really insightful in my opinion and provides clear and 'simple' telemetry data to help you improve your times, if you know what to look for. Although the below video might help to give a hint to that.

Last edited by Christiaan van Beilen; 01-11-2018 at 01:17.
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: HoiHman, PostBox981

Me and some friends will be watching
    (I totaly forgot that event in Paddepoel darnit!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC-Groningen-Grote-Markt.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	261660
    Last edited by Jack_NL; 01-11-2018 at 05:52.
    Cpu: I5 2500K @ 3.3 GHZ | Gpu: GTX 760 2GB (upgrade) | Ram: G.Skill 16GB | Mobo: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | Psu: Antec 850W
    OS.
    Win 7 Pro 64bit | Monitor: 23" @ 1680x1050 | Wheel: TM T500 + TM 28GT (upgrade) | Pedals: Fanatec CRS Elite (upgrade) | Shifter: TM TH8RS (upgrade) | KB & M: G15 / G9 | Sound: Sennheiser RS120 Wireless
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen, Konan, PostBox981

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_NL View Post
    Me and some friends will be watching
    (I totaly forgot that event in Paddepoel darnit!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC-Groningen-Grote-Markt.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	261660
    That's a lot of friends in front of the city hall. haha

I watched last race just now though and noticed that all of the top 10 qualifiers came to the studio. So I won't be holding my breath for an invite next week, but of course I will prepare just in case. Nothing bad with polishing your skills after all.
    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114Mhz - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - Philips 32PFL9604H/12 32inch TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following 6 users likes this Post: cpcdem, HoiHman, Jack_NL, Konan, Olijke Poffer, PostBox981

Platform
    PC
    Alright guys, just got the invite to the event for tomorrow.

Problem is, I am far from confident yet. I am still overdriving myself trying to squeeze in those last tenths.

The following 8 users likes this Post: Atak Kat, cpcdem, E_Luckow, Jack_NL, Konan, morpwr, pippinfort, PostBox981

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan van Beilen View Post
    Alright guys, just got the invite to the event for tomorrow.

Problem is, I am far from confident yet. I am still overdriving myself trying to squeeze in those last tenths.
    Good luck!
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Yeah mate...good luck and try to keep your cool.
    Sometimes it's better to wait and take the opportunity when it comes instead of forcing yourself to do things you'll regret later...
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!

Platform
    PC
    Yeah, waiting it out is often the better choice. Although like everyone I also rather have free air.

One thing is for sure, driving against flesh and blood humans is way different then against the computer.

Just got some tips on how to do proper track visualization. So I better get to it in order to drive a bit more smoothly and consistent.

The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, Mahjik

Platform
    PC
    Great news, enjoy the race!

Maybe you don´t even need the last few tenths. From what you told us how you got to P11 I assume most opponents aren´t too strong.

Take it easy. I am by far not the fastest driver on earth, so I usually get the best results from being patient, keeping the car on the black stuff and waiting for other people to go wrong.

Keeping fingers crossed.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition @+100 MHz | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de