Thread: Why is pC forum shown as "not secure" on Google ?

Platform
    PC

Why is pC forum shown as "not secure" on Google ?

As title says ! Is this something on my end ? No other forums don't show this !
    Has it always been like this or did something change ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (220).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	261815
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz(So Far!)/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / McLaren GT3 / CS Universal Hub with magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift / : 2ndLastJedi

Platform
    PC
    I guess because it's not https?
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Platform
    PC
    lol , what does that mean ?
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz(So Far!)/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / McLaren GT3 / CS Universal Hub with magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift / : 2ndLastJedi

Platform
    PC
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.

Platform
    PC
    It's just web browsers being stupid. A secure hyper text transfer protocol was/is generally used on sites where transactions or very personal data are exchanged. Web browsers these days (Pushed by google) seem to want to force the issue, in turn making millions of websites that don't need the secure protocol look 'Iffy'.

Nothing to worry about.
    My 1992 Vw Corrado G60 - CorradoG60.co.uk
    My Mixer channel - Mixer.com/TekNeil
    Please...No more GT cars!
    I7-6700K @ 4.4Ghz / MSI GTX 1080 @2025 Core, +600 Mem / 16GB Ram @ 2800MHz / HTC Vive

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by TekNeil View Post
    It's just web browsers being stupid. A secure hyper text transfer protocol was/is generally used on sites where transactions or very personal data are exchanged. Web browsers these days (Pushed by google) seem to want to force the issue, in turn making millions of websites that don't need the secure protocol look 'Iffy'.

Nothing to worry about.
    With all due respect, this glosses over what is a very real, and very important issue.

Google Chrome provides this warning any time you are on a website that does not use HTTPS.

HTTPS ensures that no one can spy on the traffic between you and the server. The pCARS forum does not use HTTPS, so you should assume that anyone can intercept and read the traffic between you and the pCARS forum.

Why does this matter? You login to pCARS forum, right? You provide a username and password. Because the pCARS forum does not use HTTPS, it is possible for someone to intercept your login and steal the details.

For example, let's say you're on a laptop connected to a free WiFi network at a coffee shop. Let's also say that I am at the same coffee shop. I can fire up an application named Wireshark, start capturing traffic, and filter for HTTP. From there, I can see everything you send/receive from the pCARS forum, including your password.

The real danger is if you use that same password elsewhere. If you use that same password to login to your email, you've got a real problem on your hands, because I can login to your email without you knowing. Next up, I could search your email for banking related email. Using that info, I go to your bank's website, use the "forgot password" link, reset your password, and drain your bank account.

From a practical perspective, we can't do anything about SMS's decision to not use HTTPS, even though it's literally free these days. But you can take steps to limit your risk. Use a unique password on the pCARS forum, and don't use that password anywhere else. This is a good rule of thumb for all websites, but especially for websites that are shown as unsecured by Google Chrome. Another thing you can do is to be sure not to send anything sensitive through the forum. This includes private messages.

If you struggle with keeping track of passwords for different websites, I would recommend a password manager. Personally, I use 1Password, but there are many others. 1Password just happens to be the most frequently recommended by security experts. I tend to take their advice over PC magazines and forum posters, because they have the actual credentials to back up their recommendation.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3 | BasherBoards CPX Adapter v2
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, Chikane