Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid corner car behaviour

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Great comments and suggestions. Thanks to all of you.

Some short comments.
    - Although I tend to keep the front ARB pretty soft, I did think of that, and went back to default setups. Found the same general behaviour.
    - Will try some of the suggestions regarding diff and other items.
    - I don't think it's inside curb related. I find the same sort of behaviour even when I am not touching the curbs.
    - But the description by Twinz is quite accurate. A bit like running the inside tires through a patch of soft sand and what that might be like. It's momentary, but then goes away.
    - I don't think its really snap oversteer. The rear is not coming out. It's just that the car feels like it's turning much faster to the inside than it initially was on the corner entry. And this requires some quick steering correction before I end up too far inside.

Interesting comment by Mahjik, thanks. No idea if that's what I'm finding. Will run some more laps and pay a bit more attention to this.

I will keep experimenting, but what is interesting to me is that I notice this very clearly now, whereas before I did not. And that alone is a really great reason to spend time also in other sims. Because clearly I'm able to sense something now, that previously I didn't even realize. And I was more wondering if others had the same observation.
    Last edited by Atak Kat; 08-11-2018 at 19:17.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat

Platform
    PC
    Are you already applying throttle when this occurs?
    If yes, try increasing your preload.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Platform
    PS4
    Have you checked your rear vs front tire temp? Since the last patch or 2 I've recently noticed with my old setups the rear tires are ~10°c higher than front which on soft tires causes oversteer problems when they're cooked. Having to change my setups a lot to mitigate the problem ie softer rear springs and stiffer front. Stiffer front arb hasn't done enough.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

What tire compound were you using?
    What was your tire pressure?
    What was the track and tire temperatures?

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    One thing that PC2 does very well which most current titles don't support is scrubbing. What I mean is that there is a technique many real life drivers use where they come into a corner a little hot, allow the car to scrub off speed via friction of the tires, and then when the car is at the proper speed it will grip and settle into the corner. A lot of sims don't really have this scrubbing effect and it was one of the things the SMS physics team worked hard on based on the feedback from their racing drivers. This is likely what you are experiencing.

Note, this can also cause some snap oversteer. If the car begins to understeer, depending on the steering angle you have eventually the car will scrub off enough speed that the front tires will grip. If you have a lot of steering already in the front wheels, when they grip it will suddenly grab that direction which can throw the rear around quickly.
    I'd second this ^^

Most titles have tires regain traction in a way that is too linear. In pCARS 2, the tires have very little grip when sliding and then will suddenly catch. I've never driven on slicks, but I have almost driven a real car (on road tires) off due to understeer a handful of times. The sensation when the tires regain grip will startle the hell out of you. It's borderline violent, and feels a bit like you hit something soft that deflected the car in the direction of the steering angle.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE – Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | Thrustmaster T300RS Ferrari Integral | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3 | BasherBoards CPX Adapter v2

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Atak Kat View Post
    So, I admit, I've been away from PC2 for a while. Been enjoying AC a lot these days, also GTS to be honest.
    But I was back on PC2 last weekend and I immediately realized something I didn't really notice before.

For whatever reason, I find now (after so much time in the other sims), that the cars I'm driving (mostly GT3... but not only) seem to have this strange behaviour where they feel like they are turning into the corner too much, right at mid-corner/apex.

It's strange. I'm ok on turn in, and exit. I'm able to recognize the under/over steer on entry or exit, and adjust my setup or driving to deal with it.

But I really find in PC2, that there's some sort of 'dive' to the inside at mid corner that catches me off guard all the time. I think I'm on a good entry line, and then all of a sudden I'm diving to the inside too fast and I need to counter steer to correct and continue through the corner.

I never really noticed it before, but after lots of time in the other sims, it's almost the main thing I notice now in PC2.

Any ideas or suggestions what to check in my setups for this? Is it something that other people notice about PC2 compared to other sims?

Thanks for your comments.
    Raise your preload in 50 point increments and see if the feeling goes away.
    CAR AIN'T GOT NO ROOF!!!!! - Young Dro

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small - Lao Tzu

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    Equal torque distribution is only achieved with an open diff.
    With zero lock the inside wheel can spin freely and the torque on the outside wheel is limited by what the inside one can handle.

High locking effect means the inside wheel can't spin freely and when it wants to, more torque is distributed to the outside wheel, overloading it and causing the rear to spin out under hard acceleration.
    uuuhhh… isn't that the other way around? I mean, open diff = both wheels free to spin but when a wheel has less weight on it, more torque is by default applied to this wheel(the inside one in the case of a turn) and locked diff is both wheels are forced to spin at the same speed whatsoever.

or maybe that's what you said, but on a different manner
    the only losers are the ones who give up. but that doesn't mean that you don't have to surpass yourself.
    CastrolGT aka Mach
    T500RS + stiffened pedals and permanent DIY hydraulic brake upgrade

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Thanks Magjik and Bradleyland. I think that's the thing I am finding. Lots of great set up suggestions as well from many others. Appreciated. It's an interesting thing and I'm a bit unsure if I like it or not..... Will keep experimenting but personally I'm torn betwečn what may be more accurate vs what i get the most enjoyment from.
    Part of it might also be ffb. Found some appreciation in the Jack spade settings as well.....

See you all out there. Enjoy. Thanks.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following user likes this Post: Mahjik

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by CastrolGT View Post
    uuuhhh… isn't that the other way around? I mean, open diff = both wheels free to spin but when a wheel has less weight on it, more torque is by default applied to this wheel(the inside one in the case of a turn) and locked diff is both wheels are forced to spin at the same speed whatsoever.

or maybe that's what you said, but on a different manner
    Same rotational speed does not equal same amount of torque.

When both wheels can spin independently, the torque is equal on both.
    For example, when you lift off one of the wheels from the ground it will basically receive 0 torque (only a very small amount is needed to spin it) and as a result the torque on the outside wheel is almost 0 too.

Now when you lock both wheels together and lift one off from the ground all the torque is transferred to the one that's still in contact with the road.
    So while they're rotating at the same speed, they do not receive the same amount of torque.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Atak Kat View Post
    Thanks Magjik and Bradleyland. I think that's the thing I am finding. Lots of great set up suggestions as well from many others. Appreciated. It's an interesting thing and I'm a bit unsure if I like it or not..... Will keep experimenting but personally I'm torn betwečn what may be more accurate vs what i get the most enjoyment from.
    Part of it might also be ffb. Found some appreciation in the Jack spade settings as well.....

See you all out there. Enjoy. Thanks.
    You can try to stiffen the front ARB to help reduce the after effects until you get used to it. Then start dialing back down the front ARB.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips